Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC: New Site Exposes Embarrassing Facebook Updates

China

New Site Exposes Embarrassing Facebook Updates

Want to know which Web users are cheating on tests, playing hooky from work or bashing their bosses?

A new Web site called Openbook makes it easier than ever to search for the most embarrassing status updates to grace all of Facebook.

Launched last week by a trio of San Francisco-based software engineers and developers, Openbook aggregates all public Facebook posts into one constantly updated stream and lets visitors query the site for anything of interest.

The founders said the point of the site is to draw attention to the amount of information about users Facebook makes public. To highlight the potential social consequences of making so much information visible and searchable, Openbook suggests especially sensitive search terms, such as "rectal exam," "lost my virginity" and "divorce trial."

Will Moffat, 32, one of the site's founders, said he was playing around with Facebook's public API (application programming interface) when he suddenly realized just how much personal information Facebook controls.

Click on the link for the full article

It seemed pretty good at first, but it seemes like its going down the tubes like myspace did. Once the kids and spammers get a hold of it, its over.

Yup, Facebook was so much better when it was just college students. And then it wasn't even that bad until they started doing all these dumb fan pages, games, etc. I give it another year until something better comes along and everyone jumps ship.

I've never opened a facebook account. My wife has one, but rarely views it and I just use her account if I want to check it out once in a while. As far as I'm concerned, once you use a public forum like that all bets are off when it comes to your privacy.

Yes, try posting a link to "draw mohammed day" in facebook, Facebook will block the link.

I did a search on Facebook and it linked me to Everybody-Draw-Mohammed-Day page fine. Are you in Pakistan? Damn it you made me log in to Facebook....

Archived