Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NY Times 5/18/10: Doctor Charged in N.F.L. Doping Case (Redskins Player Connected)

Hitman#21

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/19/sports/19galea.html?ref=sports]

A Toronto doctor provided unapproved drugs to professional football players, according to a criminal complaint filed Tuesday in federal court in Buffalo.

The players were not named, but two people briefed on the investigation said the doctor, Anthony Galea, and his assistant were headed to Washington to treat a Redskins player in September when the assistant was stopped at the United States-Canada border with human growth hormone, prompting investigations in both countries.

The complaint charges Galea with illegally distributing human growth hormone, introducing the unapproved drug Actovegin into interstate commerce, making false statements to investigators, and conspiring to defraud the United States.

lawyer for Galea, Mark J. Mahoney, did not immediately return a call for comment, nor did the federal prosecutor’s office.

In Canada, Galea faces four criminal charges, all related to Actovegin, a drug made from calves’ blood. American investigators have focused on Galea’s ties to professional athletes, including Alex Rodriguez, Tiger Woods and several other baseball and football players.

According to the complaint, Mary Anne Catalano — who is not named in the documents — initially told border officials that she was traveling to Washington for a medical conference, and that the items that were found in her car — including human growth hormone, Actovegin, syringes and a centrifuge — were for display only. But she later told investigators the real reason for the trip was to meet with Galea in the Washington area, where he would perform a medical procedure on a professional football player, even though Galea is not licensed to work as a doctor in the United States.

Two people briefed on the investigation identified the player as a member of the Washington Redskins. They spoke on condition that they were not identified discussing details of a continuing federal investigation.

The documents also describe interviews with three football players, including one who was retired when he began to be treated by Galea. One of the current football players said he received treatments of Actovegin from Galea, but said he did not knowingly receive human growth hormone, which is banned by the N.F.L. The other active player also acknowledged being treated by Galea in the United States but said he did not receive H.G.H. However, the retired player said that in August 2009 Galea’s assistant delivered two “kits” of H.G.H., priced at $1,200 each, to his home in the United States.

Galea has acknowledged that he personally uses human growth hormone and has prescribed it to some patients, but he has denied providing any performance-enhancing drugs to professional athletes.

Not good, wonder who the player is.

UPDATE: Here is the Wash post take

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/canadian-doctor-charged-with-s.html

Who was recovering from injuries this past year?

Either way, Earnest Graham estimates that around 30 percent of NFL players are on HGH. If that assessment is even remotely accurate, we would be naive to assume none of our guys were doing it.

Soon, the Peter King hand wringing will commence.

The player that jumps out in my mind is Landry. But it's probably some lineman.

No. Read the article. It was someone who needed surgery, or was injured. Although I wouldn't doubt that Landry was on something.

However, maybe not. He was ripped in college, too. Not this ripped, but some people's bodies are just built to add muscle. To me, it seems that he flaunts it too much to really be taking 'roids.

An NFL spokesman said the league did not know the identities of any of the players treated by Galea.

The NFL currently lists HGH among its banned performance-enhancing substances but does not test for it.

I find this interesting.

Sellers played in the CFL. And he has looked to be in the best shape of his career.

:paranoid:

Yet had one of his worst years...almost...as if....he didn't know his OWN STRENGTH!!

AHA!!

:ols:

But really, lets hope no one gets busted.

No. Read the article. It was someone who needed surgery, or was injured.

Where does it say they were injured?? I must be blind. All I could find was he was coming here to to a "procedure" on a player. He's not even licensed in the US, so that procedure could have been administering HGH.

Where does it say they were injured?? I must be blind. All I could find was he was coming here to to a "procedure" on a player. He's not even licensed in the US, so that procedure could have been administering HGH.

Hmmm. Sorry, you may be correct. I just saw procedure and automatically thought surgery of some type. I guess that would be a way to make administering illegal substances sound legit.

The article I read said the doctor treated this player from 2007-2009, there actually aren't a lot of players on this team who have been here since 2007. You can narrow it down to a small number.

Hmmm....aren't their only like 5-6 players still on the team even just from '07?

Wait, no....there's Daniels, Moss, Portis, Landry, 'Los, Fletcher (?), Rabach, Sellers, Cooley, ARE and Smoot would have counted, correct? Ans Samuels? Or is my mind playing tricks on me in remembering or mis-remembering...

EDIT (fifth time :ols:): Okay, that stat about 5-6 players was about our '05 team, not '07. There's actually plenty of the guys from '07 here still.

The article I read said the doctor treated this player from 2007-2009, there actually aren't a lot of players on this team who have been here since 2007. You can narrow it down to a small number.

I believe Sellers and Samuels were the longest tenured Redskins last year. Right?

Santana Moss to be named by Steroid Dr.

Michael David Smith

May 18th, 2010, 4:10

Washington Redskins wide out Santana Moss was the player that Canadian Doctor, Anthony Galea was scheduled to visit, and will soon be hearing from Roger Goodell regarding their relationship. Consider this to be an on-going investigation, however the hand-writing appears to be on the wall with this one. Having a relationship with a Dr. who supplies you with HGH will be frowned upon by Sheriff Goodell.

Archived