Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Guardian: Texas schools board rewrites US history with lessons promoting God and guns

China

yes, let's provide all sides of every issue ever, or do you want your particular biases decide which issues deserve every side explained. And let's not try to distinguish what's more right or wrong, because that's just 'biased"

I dont care which side gets to decide which bias is provided. Im just not naive enough to think it isnt alreeady happening.

Larry, in YOUR typical fashion, you either ar too stupid to comprehend the argument, or realize your position is weak so you attempt to claim my argument is something it is not.

I've quoted your argument, and asked you to back it up.

You continue to shovel for another half-dozen posts, and refuse to even attempt to show what you've claimed.

Show us the cabal of evil liberals who have been deliberately, openly, altering our nation's textbooks, for the specific, stated, purpose of furthering their political agenda.

Not "but, our schools aren't deliberately slanted the way I want them to be".

I've quoted your argument, and asked you to back it up.

You continue to shovel for another half-dozen posts, and refuse to even attempt to show what you've claimed.

Show us the cabal of evil liberals who have been deliberately, openly, altering our nation's textbooks, for the specific, stated, purpose of furthering their political agenda.

Not "but, our schools aren't deliberately slanted the way I want them to be".

Ive given you examples of what is now considered "accepted history". You want to ignore them. Fine.

BTW, here is a link from the NYTimes that kind of illustrates the differences.

The proposed to make certain changes and the Right blocks proposed changes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/13/education/13texas.html

It says absolutely nothing of the kind. What it says is:

After three days of turbulent meetings, the Texas Board of Education on Friday approved a social studies curriculum that will put a conservative stamp on history and economics textbooks, stressing the superiority of American capitalism, questioning the Founding Fathers’ commitment to a purely secular government and presenting Republican political philosophies in a more positive light.

The vote was 10 to 5 along party lines, with all the Republicans on the board voting for it.

Since January, Republicans on the board have passed more than 100 amendments to the 120-page curriculum standards affecting history, sociology and economics courses from elementary to high school. The standards were proposed by a panel of teachers.

Not "a bunch of liberals tried to change the textbooks, but the stalwart conservatives blocked it". A bunch of conservatives pushed for, and got, over 100 changes.

Feel free to quote from the relevant text book.

Quote what exactly?

Im also still waiting for people to point out the lies (read lies, not ommissions of other ideas) that the new curriculum will include. I posted several things that the even farther left wing nutjobs at huffington have issues with. Im curious if you folks here are with them?

Wow. Just wow.

The liberal elitism on this forum never ceases to amaze and sadden me.

Yes yes, those damn elitists ruining the country.

- They hate America

- Conservatives are "real americans"

- Only the alternative media tells the truth

- Only politically planned education is fair

- All these things must be supported by those that love this country

With all this talk of education I have to ask you, how do you fall for this **** if you've ever picked up a history book?

I do not disagree with your assessment of him, though I would add that he is also very rational and reasonable when it comes to opposing view points. I disagreed with him often, which led to spirited conversations in class (and some really bored classmates), yet more often than not we would sit after class and find that there was a middle ground between our views. In contrast, other teachers I have had that were strongly leaning to the left (and one that leaned heavily to the right) would never accept an opposing viewpoint as acceptable no matter how well you supported your argument, whereas Dr. Noboa encouraged people express their views as long as they at least attempted to support their stands.

I also freely admit that when it comes to Dr. Noboa I am bias - he was one of the few instructors I had which seemed genuinely interested in what students had to say, and despite having opposing view points on many issues he has repeatedly encouraged me to continue my education to the doctorate level.

Personally, I would not want to see the TEKS based solely within the realm of Dr. Noboa's world views anymore than I want to see the TEKS based within the worldview of individuals who subscribe to the Pat Roberston and similar views of history. It is impossible to remove bias from the study of history, but it would be nice to at least see an attempt at balance.

Texas is attempting to balance out perspectives. They started with one worldview and now those on the other side of the spectrum are having their say.

If they were really trying to impose a right wing agenda on our nation's children, people like Noboa wouldn't have even been asked to the table.

Ive given you examples of what is now considered "accepted history". You want to ignore them. Fine.

Yes, you've given me lots of examples of places where you wish reality had more republican spin on it.

However, your claim wasn't "reality doesn't have as much Republican spin on it as I want it to have, therefore I'm in favor of deliberately adding some".

Your argument was:

For years we've allowed the nutbag left wing to rewrite our history in our scholastic books.

You have not even attempted to support this claim. (I wonder why?)

(BTW, am I the only one who's connection to ES just absolutely reeks, today?)

It says absolutely nothing of the kind. What it says is:

Not "a bunch of liberals tried to change the textbooks, but the stalwart conservatives blocked it". A bunch of conservatives pushed for, and got, over 100 changes.

I think that you, and many on this board are intelligent enough to understand that the New York Times is a fairly liberal publication. I would not expect it to say that the Left tried to change the existing curriculum in order to reflect a more Liberal view. However, since all of us know that Texas is fairly Conservative, it is not a stretch to conclude that the Text books already reflected a Conservative viewpoint. Had there never been a move to change them, there never would have been a three day battle. The Liberal portion of the committee proposed changes and the Conservative side blocked it. That's what happened in a nut shell.

The problem here is not that Conservatives are forcing policy on Text Books. The problem here is that there are basically only two states that drive material included in these text books because it is expensive to produce your own text books. California used to do this but because of economic reasons, they no longer do this. Now, Texas is really the only state that puts up the expense necessary. As a result, because Texas is Conservative, you get a Conservative product. If you don't like this view, then the answer is probably to publish your own Text Books and have them carry a less conservative view. Perhaps something more to your liking. It is what it is. You can't have it both ways if it's Texas who is, by and large, contributing to the expense of putting the Text Books together.

Texas is attempting to balance out perspectives. They started with one worldview and now those on the other side of the spectrum are having their say.

If they were really trying to impose a right wing agenda on our nation's children, people like Noboa wouldn't have even been asked to the table.

Replacing things that don't favor their world view with things that do is balance?

Yes, you've given me lots of examples of places where you wish reality had more republican spin on it.

However, your claim wasn't "reality doesn't have as much Republican spin on it as I want it to have, therefore I'm in favor of deliberately adding some".

Your argument was:

Nope, Im kicking off and on all day.

If you're asking me if I can point to a group similar to the nutbags in Texas changing things now, then I cant. It's much more subtle and more of a long drip into the curriculum as opposed to this sort of tidal wave.

Im still waiting for someone to point out any innacurate info the group is putting in.

You have not even attempted to support this claim. (I wonder why?)

There is no support for it anywhere. The best he can do, like I previously stated, is claim that there is a natural bias present as most in the profession lean left. There is nothing like what Texas is doing where extremists are actually attempting to politicize the schools education.

And my connection to ES has been bad as well.

The panel of educators, historians, etc. who wrote the original drafts were not selected by the SBOE, or at least not by the individuals who will be making the final decesion on the new TEKS.

Some of the SBOE board members have flat out stated that they are trying to force a right wing agenda into the schools. Dunbar, the woman discussed in the article, stated that “The philosophy of the classroom in one generation will be the philosophy of the government in the next" and "this battle for our nation’s children and who will control their education and training is crucial to our success for reclaiming our nation” (Shorto, 2010). She has even written a book on the subject.

Archived