Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Agent to Agent... give me the contract numbers.

WhoRUSupposed2Be

Now, we all know the background of Mr. Allen's ability to dissect the actual numbers and determine the value of players.

What does he present to Mr. Williams and his agent that is a fair deal in terms for a number four selection?

When Jake Long was drafted number 1 overall in 2008, he was inked to a five year, $57 million with 30 million in guaranteed deal.

http://ballhype.com/story/miami_dolphins_will_draft_jake_long_agree_to_contract/

#4 in last year's draft plus 5%ish depending on what postion that was. Is this really a thread? It doesn't matter how good our GM is, it's an unofficial slotting system. We'll likely wait untill #3 has a deal and pay slightly less than that. Probably significantly more than #5 because safeties aren't valued as high as Lt's or even RT's.

maybe there's a left tackle premium, a lot like there's a QB premium.

That is 100% what his agent will be saying you can be sure of that. I think he will also be pushing for a 5 year deal not a 6 year and around $40M in guaranteed money.

That is 100% what his agent will be saying you can be sure of that. I think he will also be pushing for a 5 year deal not a 6 year and around $40M in guaranteed money.

this is why we need a rookie scale. not a snap in the nfl and he's already gonna get haynsworth money.

40 million dollars guaranteed:

pro bowler or unknown

this is why we need a rookie scale. not a snap in the nfl and he's already gonna get haynsworth money.

40 million dollars guaranteed:

pro bowler or unknown

I agree, its crazy. Stating the obvious but that is why its so hard to trade back from those top 5 spots in the draft - the risk versus reward up that high is huge.

Matt Stafford signed for $41.7M guaranteed as the top pick last year, and this year they're talking about $50M guaranteed for Bradford. I expect the salaries to make a bigger jump than normal because of the lack of a salary cap, and I think agents will use that as a justification for asking for more money.

The Redskins tend to throw around market-breaking contracts, so I'd expect our boy to make significantly more than the $30M Jake Long got two years ago, even though he's only the 4th pick.

The only question is: will he be worth it?

There's no cap. There won't ever be a cap again. There will be a rookie cap.

Give Williams a blow out contract and make him the first signing. GET IT OVER. FAST. And get him in. If he pans out, he legitimately makes our line good. That's right, good. If you have a legitimate left tackle, the rest of your line is brought up in level. This kid is our chance to go from a line around 25th in the league to a line in the Top 10.

IF he is as good as Chris Samuels was before Samuels started to wear down. That's not hugely likely, but, it's possible. Bring him in.

Agreed about the salary caps. This also likely means that we're going to see a LOT less parity in the NFL as there will most likely be no bottom to the salary cap either, and some teams/owners will milk their team/league for money and we'll start to see some really terrible teams for a number of years.

Hopefully the NFL does not turn into the MLB.

There's no cap. There won't ever be a cap again. There will be a rookie cap.

Give Williams a blow out contract and make him the first signing. GET IT OVER. FAST. And get him in. If he pans out, he legitimately makes our line good. That's right, good. If you have a legitimate left tackle, the rest of your line is brought up in level. This kid is our chance to go from a line around 25th in the league to a line in the Top 10.

IF he is as good as Chris Samuels was before Samuels started to wear down. That's not hugely likely, but, it's possible. Bring him in.

Dead on accurate.

BD

You think so? Would kill the competition for small markets.

Please.

Small market teams are WHY there won't be a cap. It'll be blamed on Snyder and Jones. But, it's really Buffalo, Tampa, Minnesota in down years and other teams that will block it. Why?

Part of the salary cap is a salary floor. NO one talks about that. NO one. All anyone talks about is the top end you can pay. But, along with that is a LOW end you MUST pay. There are about 15 teams who are at the low end and want it lower. They want to be able to really save money in years they suck to spend it in years they are good.

They won't ever accept a floor. Thus, there won't ever be a cap, because a cap is simply a spread to account for a percentage of revenue allocated to the players. Couple THIS with the fact the NFL players union is about to collectively bargain for college kids who are not in their union and have no vote to take money from them to give it to NFL players who have a vote and you'll eventually have rookies refuse to join the union citing the collective bargaining agreement was made against them with no input.

That will ultimately be the league's downfall, though, a rookie cap is outstanding. Now, if they did it wisely, stating guaranteed money is only allowed based on years of service and all players fall into that, they'd be fine. If you're in 0-3 years you can only have 5 percent of your contract guaranteed. 4-6 years and you can have 50 percent. Over six years and you can have 80 percent.

If they did that, they'd actually solve the rookie pay problem allowing teams to have huge, NON-guaranteed problems, they'd bring immense value back to the top end of the draft because teams don't suffer for a bad pick anymore and you'd get the money everyone cares about into the hands of those who've earned it.

Of course, they won't. Cause they dumb.

You think so? Would kill the competition for small markets.

Screw em. Part of the money that teams like us & Dallas make goes to them through revenue sharing. Smaller market teams need to learn how to maximize their cash inflow & quit depending on others to do it for them. Otherwise they'll go the way of the dinosaur. Buffalo, I'm looking at you. :)

Screw em. Part of the money that teams like us & Dallas make goes to them through revenue sharing. Smaller market teams need to learn how to maximize their cash inflow & quit depending on others to do it for them. Otherwise they'll go the way of the dinosaur. Buffalo, I'm looking at you. :)

Look at them shuffle off to LA is what you mean, Art. Or Toronto (although I'm not holding my breath about that possibility).

The amount of money is exacly why you dont take a chance on a player early in the draft with a history of being lazy. That is the reason Okung was considered the safer pick at number 4. Even Williams' high school coach said he was lazy and unmotivated. Has he lost that trait? Possibly. But getting a guaranteed 40 million dollar payday sure doesnt give a rookie a reason to be motivated. He's already hit the lottery. Why work hard. Hope I am wrong.

The amount of money is exacly why you dont take a chance on a player early in the draft with a history of being lazy. That is the reason Okung was considered the safer pick at number 4. Even Williams' high school coach said he was lazy and unmotivated. Has he lost that trait? Possibly. But getting a guaranteed 40 million dollar payday sure doesnt give a rookie a reason to be motivated. He's already hit the lottery. Why work hard. Hope I am wrong.

+1

Trent Williams is about to get the biggest contract any offensive lineman has ever gotten. That makes me nervous. I would have been much more comfortable giving that money to Russell Okung.

+1

Trent Williams is about to get the biggest contract any offensive lineman has ever gotten. That makes me nervous. I would have been much more comfortable giving that money to Russell Okung.

I do think Allen will be smart about it though, he's been good with contracts in the past.

The one thing we won't be able to avoid is a huge contract, but that comes with the #4 pick.

I do agree though, its risky to drop that kind of dough on someone that seems more risky. I wanted Okung, and I'm still not incredibly happy about the pick but hopefully he works out.

Archived