Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philadelphia Eagles 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Big Weirdo

Round 1, Pick 13 -- Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan (scouting report)

Round 2, Pick 37 -- Nathaniel Allen, FS, South Florida (scouting report)

Round 3, Pick 86 -- Daniel Te'o-Nesheim, DE, Washington (scouting report)

Round 4, Pick 105 -- Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky (scouting report)

Round 4, Pick 121 -- Keenan Clayton, LB, Oklahoma (scouting report)

Round 4, Pick 122 -- Mike Kafka, QB, Northwestern (scouting report)

Round 4, Pick 125 -- Clay Harbor, TE, Missouri State (scouting report)

Round 5, Pick 134 -- Ricky Sapp, DE, Clemson (scouting report)

Round 5, Pick 159 -- Riley Cooper, WR, Florida (scouting report)

Round 6, Pick 200 -- Charles Scott, RB, LSU (scouting report)

Round 7, Pick 220 -- Jamar Chaney, LB, Mississippi St (scouting report)

Round 7, Pick 243 -- Jeff Owens, DT, Georgia (scouting report)

Round 7, Pick 244 -- Kurt Coleman, SS, Ohio State (scouting report)

I really like Allen, I wanted him for the Cowboys.

You guys definitely threw some athletes at the defense. We will see what sticks.

Got your developmental qb and picked up a nice wr in the 5th..

All in all, I expected a bit more with all of the picks you had, but it is not bad.

I found the Eagles draft very interesting.

I will never be convinced the Eagles didn't make a mistake by passing on Earl Thomas. They however lucked out beyond belief to have Allen fall to them in the second round. We is not the same caliber but was the next best FS in the draft. All in all I'm pissed they got Graham and Allen.

They followed that by reaching on all their 3rd and 4th rounders.

They then got great value in the remaining rounds. This is one of most impressive 5th -7th rounds I've seen.

Now that the draft has wrapped up, the only question mark the Eagles will have going into this season is obviously, Kevin Kolb.

I think Kolb will do fine(being a Tulane alum, his uni was in the same conference as Tulane's, he played very well throughout those 4 years - he's a perfect fit for the WCO system). But nonetheless, he doesn't have experience, and he could likely have growing pains the 1st half or so of the season(and then like usually, he will shake it off, and the Eagles will finish strong either way).

The Eagles D is stacked, and their O-line is set OK despite Jamaal Jackson likely missing the first few games of this year(Nick Cole should have his feet wet OK - he looked scared in those 2 games against us).

Another thing - Reid has nicely opened up another window for this team.

Gone are McNabb, Westbrook, Tra Thomas, John Runyan, Brian Dawkins, Shawn Andrews, Sheldon Brown, Trotter, and pretty much everyone that played in that 2004 Super Bowl. Now they have Kolb, McCoy, Peters, Justice, Allen, Cole, Bunkley, Bradley, and a whole bunch of youngsters that will be stars for awhile.

Now that the draft has wrapped up, the only question mark the Eagles will have going into this season is obviously, Kevin Kolb.

I think Kolb will do fine(being a Tulane alum, his uni was in the same conference as Tulane's, he played very well throughout those 4 years - he's a perfect fit for the WCO system). But nonetheless, he doesn't have experience, and he could likely have growing pains the 1st half or so of the season(and then like usually, he will shake it off, and the Eagles will finish strong either way).

The Eagles D is stacked, and their O-line is set OK despite Jamaal Jackson likely missing the first few games of this year(Nick Cole should have his feet wet OK - he looked scared in those 2 games against us).

Really?

A few draft picks, mostly middle to low rounds and everything is fixed? Ok...

I think most Eagles fans would disagree with you.

The offense is pretty well set up. The defense still has to see how all of these pieces fit. They had big problems on D last year, they also have serious questions on the defensive coaching staff in my mind.

Noticeable drop-off in coaching since JJ was lost....

I found the Eagles draft very interesting.

I will never be convinced the Eagles didn't make a mistake by passing on Earl Thomas. They however lucked out beyond belief to have Allen fall to them in the second round. We is not the same caliber but was the next best FS in the draft. All in all I'm pissed they got Graham and Allen.

They followed that by reaching on all their 3rd and 4th rounders.

They then got great value in the remaining rounds. This is one of most impressive 5th -7th rounds I've seen.

im with you totally on the Thomas/Allen situation...passed on A beast and then got lucky to have the next best at that pos fall to them....i wanted Dallas to trade up and get allen sooooo bad in the 2nd round!

I will never be convinced the Eagles didn't make a mistake by passing on Earl Thomas.

You banged the drum relentlessly last year that the Eagles made a mistake in taking Maclin over Pettigrew. With the emergence of Celek and Maclin in 09 and the lackluster year by Pettigrew, what do you think now?

I think the Eagles targetted their top two needs as DE and S. I think that they correctly realized that Graham and Allen were a better option than Thomas and whatever DE would have been leftover at pick 37. (Misi Koa was the next DE off the board).

You banged the drum relentlessly last year that the Eagles made a mistake in taking Maclin over Pettigrew. With the emergence of Celek and Maclin in 09 and the lackluster year by Pettigrew, what do you think now?
LOL. How do you get lackluster year from Pettigrew? He excels in both pass catching and blocking. Detroit had a brand new HC and staff. He had a rookie QB throwing to him when healthy enough from the pounding he took due to their mediocre OL. Pettigrew missed the last 5games of the season with a knee injury and still had 30 receptions.

Well, will you concede that the glaring need the Eagles had at TE was just contrived by analysts and fans like yourself considering the beast Celek was last year?

If you had to do it over again, do you have the Eagles draft Pettigrew over Maclin last year? Please don't say you do. I want to respect you.

Well, will you concede that the glaring need the Eagles had at TE was just contrived by analysts and fans like yourself considering the beast Celek was last year?
Celek's contributions surprised. Pettigrew is a much better all around TE and would have better served the Eagles in the protection and rushing departments while contributing well receiving. AR doesn't call enough run plays and with Pettigrew may have led to a more balanced attack.
If you had to do it over again, do you have the Eagles draft Pettigrew over Maclin last year? Please don't say you do. I want to respect you.
If you are this thrilled over Maclin, I could only imagine how thrilled you'd be if the Eagles had picked Harvin for both his receiving and KR skills.

Pettigrew, right now, the better all around TE over Celek? I bet the majority of NFL Execs disagree.

Why is it that some of you guys simply can't admit you made a statement that turned out incorrect? The Eagles have Celek and now Maclin who looks like he is going to be very very good. So your bashing of them over not taking Pettigrew turned out to be wrong. Just admit it.

Why would you bring Harvin into the discussion? I never claimed that Maclin at 18 would turn out to be the best player of anyone picked 19-230. Again, you never said that they should have taken Harvin at the time; you just have the benefit of hindsight.

I think 32 out of 32 GMs take Maclin over Pettigrew right now based off of what we know.

I think 32 out of 32 GMs take Maclin over Pettigrew right now based off of what we know.

A slot WR vs. a starting TE.

Each GM would analyze it differently based upon what their team needs. So a blanket statement like that simply cannot be made.

Besides, it's way to early to judge either player.

;7490049']In the end' date=' as long as the Eagles Super Bowl trophy case remains trophy-less, I'm happy.[/quote']

Thank you for bringing the discourse on this forum to such a high level, Tom. Let's not discuss anything in a finer detail than your comment above. Awesome.

Maclin is now a slot WR? News to me. Someone tell Jason Avant.

And I didn't mean for 32 teams. I apologize. I meant for the Eagles at 18 if the draft was done again based off of what we know now and they were the only two choices for the Eagles.

I was unsure who was the slot between the two. Either way, right now he's a borderline #2 WR. More like a solid #3.

Nonetheless, yes, if it's the Eagles making the pick, it's obvious which direction they are going.

Ton of youth on this Philly roster.

If Kolb develops into a solid QB, Philly will be known as a young and hungry team. If Kolb doesn't develop, Philly will be known as the laughing stock of the league.

Yes, it really is that simple.

Thank you for bringing the discourse on this forum to such a high level, Tom. Let's not discuss anything in a finer detail than your comment above. Awesome.

I just simplified my feelings towards the Eagles draft. This is a thread on the Eagles draft. And that is how I felt about it.

To put it plain and simple. I actually hate the Philadelphia Eagles. Not their fans, but the team itself.

Now, the opposite is true for the Cowboys. I hate the fans a lot more than the team.

So for me, the only goal I have as a Giants fan when it comes to the Eagles is that they don't win a Super Bowl.

I think a couple of things that strike me about the Eagles draft is there seems to be a number of picks that lean towards a hybrid 3-4, 4-3 system with both Graham and Sapp being a little small as prototypical 4-3 DE's though that seems to be the MO of the eagles over the years .

I would argue that you should have picked Thomas over Graham but both fill needs and so that is really a wash . Sapp and Graham seem very similar players in the Eagles system and I like the comments about their work ethics and attitudes . At first I thought you had reached for Graham given his stock soared following the senior bowl where he humiliated guys like Ed Wang and Selvish Capers (taken by the Skins in the 7th) but looking into him he does sound like the guy who at the very least will be a solid DE for years to come and at best could be an Eric Dumbervile type star .

Having said that I also though you could have done more to turn the plethera of picks into either proven vets via trades or 2011 picks ... and outside Sapp no-one really stands out ...

Why is it that some of you guys simply can't admit you made a statement that turned out incorrect? The Eagles have Celek and now Maclin who looks like he is going to be very very good. So your bashing of them over not taking Pettigrew turned out to be wrong. Just admit it.

Why would you bring Harvin into the discussion? I never claimed that Maclin at 18 would turn out to be the best player of anyone picked 19-230. Again, you never said that they should have taken Harvin at the time; you just have the benefit of hindsight.

I never have a problem admitting when wrong. DJax is a recent example. He and Harvin have proven to be two of the biggest play makers in the league. Hence my mention of Harvin. It is evident that the Eagles determined they wanted to add another WR play maker to add to their arsenal and took Maclin. Harvin is a much bigger weapon. How could teams have covered those two plus think of DJax on PR and Harvin on KR, WOW.

Food for thought on Pettigrew; had the Eagles taken him think of the mismatches in the two TE sets with Celek. Also with him Dallas may not have shut the Eagles running game down in week 17 and in the playoffs to the tune of 37 and 56 yards while having total control of the line of scrimmage.

Archived