Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Philadelphia Eagles 2010 NFL Draft Thread

Big Weirdo

Philly's draft is a bit puzzling to me. So many draft picks, for an already deep team.

I liked the Brandon Graham pick, though if I were a Philly fan, I'd be upset they didn't trade up for Earl Thomas. Too me, there's a big difference between Earl Thomas and Nate Allen.

Teo-Neshiem, Kafka and Harbor were picks I liked for you guys. Teo's a guy I think they'll move to linebacker, and he could be a terror.

Folks, all I can say is that two players that no one has mentioned yet will be the sleepers for this team who I feel will make big impacts...

Riley Cooper will have a big impact in the Red Zone for this team. Catches the with his hands and is very physical. Tebow's favorite target who should see lots of playing with the Eagles as their "big receiver". Can't wait to see what kind of formations we will see with him.

Trevard Lindley who before he had a high ankle sprain in 2009 was graded as a 2nd round prospect. One of the better press technique corners in the draft whose SEC experience will help in the NFC East wars.

Riley Cooper will have a big impact in the Red Zone for this team. Catches the with his hands and is very physical. Tebow's favorite target who should see lots of playing with the Eagles as their "big receiver". Can't wait to see what kind of formations we will see with him.

I admit that I was not happy the Eagles got this guy. They already have two burners and now they have a tall possession guy. Along with a solid TE. Kolb has everything in place he needs to be successful as the Eagles starting QB. The only reason he wouldn't be successful is because of him.

;7491957']I admit that I was not happy the Eagles to this guy. They already have two burners and now they have a tall possession guy. Along with a solid TE. Kolb has everything in place he needs to be successful as the Eagles starting QB. The only reason he wouldn't be successful is because of him.

I was stunned by this pick because to be honest, I thought that Seattle would have snatched him up...very thankful that the Eagles grabbed him.

I was stunned by this pick because to be honest, I thought that Seattle would have snatched him up...very thankful that the Eagles grabbed him.

Lindley I wasn't as impressed with, but Riley Cooper looks like he has the physical tools to make an impact.

I can't believe there's any second guessing of the Maclin pick going on, even if it's just devil's advocacy.

Maclin had a great rookie year and the Eagles now have two excellent WRs under 24-years-old. Meanwhile, Celek also had a great year and proved that he's more than just a reliable starter, but an actual difference maker for whom defenses need to account.

What's to discuss? The Eagles have a great set of wideouts and a great tight end. Harvin would have been nice, but he wasn't really much more productive than Maclin. I'd rather have a starting wide receiver than a backup TE. Maybe I'm insane.

As for 2010, I liked but didn't love the Eagles draft. Certainly I would have liked to see a corner earlier, but I like the sounds of the kid from Kentucky. The Eagles needed athleticism all over the defense, and they got that by adding 9 guys. I'm sure not all of them will stick and only a few will be reliable contributors long term, but it seems to me the defense can't help but improve. Throw in Simms, Tapp, and Jackson, and I'm reasonably satisfied with the improvements on that side of the ball.

From reading various articles and hearing various commentators, don't be shocked if Sapp is starting at SAM next season. They have all but annointed him the Joker role this season and if his youtube highlight reel (mind you, playing at what he said was 75% is any indication) then he might be the biggest steal of the draft.

But another sleeper is TO...I mean Teo...lol. What an animal!

As for 2010, I liked but didn't love the Eagles draft. Certainly I would have liked to see a corner earlier, but I like the sounds of the kid from Kentucky. The Eagles needed athleticism all over the defense, and they got that by adding 9 guys. I'm sure not all of them will stick and only a few will be reliable contributors long term, but it seems to me the defense can't help but improve. Throw in Simms, Tapp, and Jackson, and I'm reasonably satisfied with the improvements on that side of the ball.

Especially in the front 7. Speed, speed, and more speed. Plus they were all former capts of their respective college teams so looks like they really wanted leadership and energy. Looks like they are bringing passion back to the defense that turned stale over the last two years.

Especially in the front 7. Speed, speed, and more speed. Plus they were all former capts of their respective college teams so looks like they really wanted leadership and energy. Looks like they are bringing passion back to the defense that turned stale over the last two years.

12 additions on the defensive side of the ball. Departures from Howard, Babin, Clemons, Sheldon, S. Jones, Gocong, and Trotter. I'd be uncomfortable if I was Laws, Abiamiri, Demps, and Gaither.

There's no guarantee on any of the guys and I'm not going to count on contribution from any of the mid rounders, but there should at the very least be competition at every position, in most cases between people who can absolutely fly.

There's still reason to be pessimistic about their secondary, and they're relying on Bradley's recovery, Simms' rebirth, and some production fromt he combination of Tapp, Graham, and Parker to help out Cole. It could certainly be a disaster, but it'll be hard to say they didn't do their job in bringing a competitive roster to training camp.

The big difference on offense right now from years past is the frequency with which they've hit on draft picks. Jackson, Maclin, Celek, and McCoy is a talented bunch to bring in over three drafts. But during that same time, their defensive additions (Laws, Ickeguanu, Demps, B. Smith, and Harris) haven't been as good, leaving the defense in its current deteriorated state. If Harris and Fokou can show any level of improvement, if any of the three veteran additions they've made on that side of the ball can reach potential, if this draft class plays to expectations, then they'll have a young defense to go with a young offense that will make us contenders for years. But all three of those ifs could go the other way just as easily.

12 additions on the defensive side of the ball. Departures from Howard, Babin, Clemons, Sheldon, S. Jones, Gocong, and Trotter. I'd be uncomfortable if I was Laws, Abiamiri, Demps, and Gaither.

There's no guarantee on any of the guys and I'm not going to count on contribution from any of the mid rounders, but there should at the very least be competition at every position, in most cases between people who can absolutely fly.

There's still reason to be pessimistic about their secondary, and they're relying on Bradley's recovery, Simms' rebirth, and some production fromt he combination of Tapp, Graham, and Parker to help out Cole. It could certainly be a disaster, but it'll be hard to say they didn't do their job in bringing a competitive roster to training camp.

The big difference on offense right now from years past is the frequency with which they've hit on draft picks. Jackson, Maclin, Celek, and McCoy is a talented bunch to bring in over three drafts. But during that same time, their defensive additions (Laws, Ickeguanu, Demps, B. Smith, and Harris) haven't been as good, leaving the defense in its current deteriorated state. If Harris and Fokou can show any level of improvement, if any of the three veteran additions they've made on that side of the ball can reach potential, if this draft class plays to expectations, then they'll have a young defense to go with a young offense that will make us contenders for years. But all three of those ifs could go the other way just as easily.

How stunned were you that no OLmen were drafted?

How stunned were you that no OLmen were drafted?

Pretty shocked. I always try to prep myself to be surprised by whatever they do, since they've never once done anything remotely close to what I thought they'd do, but I never thought there'd be a draft where Reid didn't take at least one o-lineman. For it to happen when they made 13 selections is pretty insane.

I'm sort of happy with it though. It tells me they like some of the depth that we haven't seen (McGlynn, Shipley) more than we anticipated, that they haven't totally given up on Andrews, and that they think Cole and Gilles are usable pieces.

Folks, all I can say is that two players that no one has mentioned yet will be the sleepers for this team who I feel will make big impacts...

Unfortunately no one did better than the Eagles in the 5th round. They really kicked ass wit their two picks. They hit very well in the later rounds as well. The all around speed they've added to both sides of the ball and the special teams is incredible.

Celek's contributions surprised. Pettigrew is a

If you are this thrilled over Maclin, I could only imagine how thrilled you'd be if the Eagles had picked Harvin for both his receiving and KR skills.

Harvin: 66 catches, 829 yards, 6 TD's (including 2 playoff games)

Maclin: 63 catches, 919 yards, 5 TD's (including 1 playoff game)

They're both good players, can't determine which one is better yet.

Harvin: 66 catches, 829 yards, 6 TD's (including 2 playoff games)

Maclin: 63 catches, 919 yards, 5 TD's (including 1 playoff game)

They're both good players, can't determine which one is better yet.

This is all moot but yeah they were pretty equal receiving Like I stipulated a couple times, add in the KR and Harvin's value is clearly greater.

Maclin 7KR 124yards 17.7avg 0TDs

Harvin 42KR 1156yards 27.5avg 2TDs

From reading various articles and hearing various commentators, don't be shocked if Sapp is starting at SAM next season. They have all but annointed him the Joker role this season and if his youtube highlight reel (mind you, playing at what he said was 75% is any indication) then he might be the biggest steal of the draft.

But another sleeper is TO...I mean Teo...lol. What an animal!

Teo, I was not happy to see him end up on the Eagles. Between Bradley, Teo, Graham and Cole, you really got some high motor players I'm not looking forward to seeing.

Sapp, I always kept an eye on him when watching Clemson, and I think the reason he dropped in the draft is because he didn't seem terribly consistent. He has pass rushing skills, but all too often, he'd overpursue the QB, and either shoot right past him, or create a huge lane for draws and screens.

This is all moot but yeah they were pretty equal receiving Like I stipulated a couple times, add in the KR and Harvin's value is clearly greater.

Maclin 7KR 124yards 17.7avg 0TDs

Harvin 42KR 1156yards 27.5avg 2TDs

Maclin looked like the snowboard Olympian we had a few years back. As in he wanted NO part of doing KR.

Archived