Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Bruce Campbell fall to the 4th round?

Deadeye Dunkan

Of course we're probably setting ourselves for disappointment.

We always seem to pick someone completely unexpected in the late rounds no matter who is doing the picking.

:silly:

(Then again with our current F.O., I'm not too worried even if that does happen.)

Yeah I agree but alot of the players that are picked in the 4th round usually play all four years and what I have heard Cambell has only played like 18 games and thats what scares me.Don't get me wrong I would'nt mind us drafting the kid b/c he does look like he is very athletic but his experience on the football field is what bothers me.

I'm with you on that. I think at this point I'd prefer Cam Thomas.

Big Mike Williams made the swap the guard and has been performing much better.

Also that guard that plays for Dallas use to be a tackle in Arizona. He was considered a bust until he made the switch to Guard.

You are talking about Leonard Davis.

It's not even close to being that simple. Here's a little quote from a speech Alex Gibbs (o-line coach in Denver from 1995-2003) gave about what he looks for in offensive linemen. A good chunk of it should apply to us now...

Source: http://www.tomahawknation.com/2009/6/9/900288/understanding-zone-blocking-and

^ A very good read for anyone curious about zone blocking.

Great article, thanks for the link. A nice primer for those of us unfamiliar with the scheme. Highly recommend checking it out.

That's not why I do. He posted good numbers at the combine and seems to be a good ZBS fit. Was he a workout warrior? Yes, but there are enough tools there to make him a great 4th round choice. He would be a RT for the Skins and could be a solid backup at LT.

Can't speak for anyone else. I want him or Cam Thomas for NT.

I couldn’t agree more with your statement.

I was surprised that Campbell made it to the 4th. Given his combine numbers and his draft projection by almost all analyst, I say grab him quickly if he is there. The latter rounds of the draft are for project players and talent that has slipped through the cracks. At worst he gives us some depth on the O-Line as he develops. I doubt anyone can find a mock that has him falling into the 4th round.

As for Cam Thomas, I would take him if Campbell isn’t there. It is important for us to get a serviceable NT and add to our NT rotation. That way Big Al won’t have to play there and we can continue with our great D-Line pressure potential of Carriker and Big Al as DE’s with Orakpo and ??? blitzing of the corners.

After these two guys, I would think about Ciron Black, Kyle Calloway, Donovan Warren, Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Corey Wooton, Ricky Sapp

That way Big Al won’t have to play there and we can continue with our great D-Line pressure potential of Carriker and Big Al as DE’s with Orakpo and ??? blitzing of the corners.

I say draft Everson Griffen to fill that "???" spot. He might make a pretty decent 3-4 OLB in my opinion just looking at his size and his strength is rushing the passer.

It comes down to what the front office wants more. Help on defense or offense and who do they think is the best player between he and Bruce Campbell? I'm sure they will be talking to Heyer tonight about Campbell.

I say draft Everson Griffen to fill that "???" spot. He might make a pretty decent 3-4 OLB in my opinion just looking at his size and his strength is rushing the passer.

It comes down to what the front office wants more. Help on defense or offense and who do they think is the best player between he and Bruce Campbell? I'm sure they will be talking to Heyer tonight about Campbell.

I thought about adding Griffen to my list above. I felt more comfortable with Corey Wooten and Ricky Sapp. They dont have any effort issues and are just as great values at this point in the draft. My list isn't in any order except that I would take Campbell then Cam Thomas. I think that if we don't get our RT here there will be someone there with our late 5th that we could possibly get. There is diffinatly value there for us to get if Campbell is gone.

Heyer had no overlap with Campbell - Campbell spent 2006 (the only year he'd have with Heyer) at a Military school before he came to UMD.

They're probably talking to Edwin Williams.

Well it looks like he did slide to the 4th...If we take him he should immediately be moved over to the RT spot and battle Artis Hicks, and Heyer for that spot...

I like the talent that is still out there right now and see a lot of guys that could come in and contribute, or even start for us right now...We need to work the phones tonight and move JC and Rocky for 4th's...Some players I wouldn't mind us drafting with the 4th round pick or picks if we can move JC and Rocky:

Bruce Campbell - RT

Everson Griffen - LOLB

Cam Thomas - NT

Al Woods - NT

Corey Wooten - DE

Rodderick Mukelroy - ILB

Eric Norwood - ILB

Jacoby Ford - WR

Joe McKnight - RB

Selvish Capers - RT

LT - Williams

LG - Dock

C- Rabach

RG - Fanaca

RT - Flozzel

Back Ups, Heyer, Bruce Campbell, BMW, Hicks

If it works out this way our line wont be too bad.

Our right side will be stop gap completely. With Heyer as back up tackle if any of our tackles go down. With Bruce Campbell being a player that hopefully works out 2 years down the line.

We have some old vets but with young developing back ups such as Bruce Campbell, Hayer and hopefully next year we draft guards.

Well, if we are interested in Campbell we won't have to wait through tons of teams.

Rams

Vikings (from Lions)

Buccs

Texans (from Chiefs)

Redskins

So, if you really like him start hoping these teams aren't interested in Campbell.

I'm all for giving up our 7th to move up a few spots and make sure we get him. We're not getting a starter with the 7th, so why not use it to help get someone who will be?

Archived