Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Bruce Campbell fall to the 4th round?

Deadeye Dunkan

That's not why I do. He posted good numbers at the combine and seems to be a good ZBS fit. Was he a workout warrior? Yes, but there are enough tools there to make him a great 4th round choice. He would be a RT for the Skins and could be a solid backup at LT.

Can't speak for anyone else. I want him or Cam Thomas for NT.

I have no doubt he is a warrior b/c I seen him on tv tonight and he looked like a beast.I thought I heard them say thow he only played one season OR only had one good season but I might have heard it wrong.

I have no doubt he is a warrior b/c I seen him on tv tonight and he looked like a beast.I thought I heard them say thow he only played one season OR only had one good season but I might have heard it wrong.

Yeah, he was huge. He appartently can bench 490 lbs and did 34 reps of 225.

He started 17 games at MD, 9 in 2009.

I honestly don't think he's the best tackle on the board right now. I'd rather have Selvish Capers. I think fans watched the combine and got a stiffy for him because of his 40 time, but even the Raiders realized that good combine numbers do not an NFL tackle make. Dude's a project. Think of him as a Tim Tebow for the O-line.

I honestly don't think he's the best tackle on the board right now. I'd rather have Selvish Capers. I think fans watched the combine and got a stiffy for him because of his 40 time, but even the Raiders realized that good combine numbers do not an NFL tackle make. Dude's a project. Think of him as a Tim Tebow for the O-line.

He might not be the most NFL-ready tackle on the board right now, but he is unquestionably the most athletically gifted. He is a bit of a project, but he's got far more upside than Capers. Besides, isn't Capers considered a bit of long term project as well?

I say draft him he could play Guard.

Guards dont need to have as much foot work.

It's not even close to being that simple. Here's a little quote from a speech Alex Gibbs (o-line coach in Denver from 1995-2003) gave about what he looks for in offensive linemen. A good chunk of it should apply to us now...

Above all, we want guys who want play so bad they could die. We want guys who can run, who are athletic, who have "recoverability", but who maybe lacks bulk and strength. Maybe doesn't know what his body is about yet. We want guys who are going to take advantage of that redshirt year.

TACKLES: Tall, length, maybe no basic strength, but he can run, and we're willing to let him add that power. 6'5 1/2" is usually the max we want.

GUARDS & CENTERS: height and length doesn't mean ****. Marginal height, but plays with great leverage. "LOW WAISTED" (long torso short legs), with leverage under our bodies. Healthier by not being heavy. RARE for them to play early. Nobody over 6'3". My center must be football brilliant.

Very intelligent on the inside. The "test score limit would SCARE YOU." We make calls from the inside out (centers call guards, guards tell tackles what to do, tackles tell tight ends what to do. Thus, there's a chain of decreasing responsibility)

No introverts for any position (communication. Low power-distance culture guys between each other and the coach).

All of them must have the ability to step laterally while keeping their shoulders square to the line of scrimmage (or risk allowing penetration).

Injury history is very important. don't want guys who miss games, because of the importance of continuity. 4 of the 5 usually get offseason surgery. NO EGO. INSIDE 3 must be brilliant. huge amount of time is spent on these guys making decisions. Guards must be able to decipher intricate details from the opponent's stance.

But, there is a minimum threshold of strength that a guy must have. Cannot have guys who get driven back.

Source: http://www.tomahawknation.com/2009/6/9/900288/understanding-zone-blocking-and

^ A very good read for anyone curious about zone blocking.

He might not be the most NFL-ready tackle on the board right now, but he is unquestionably the most athletically gifted. He is a bit of a project, but he's got far more upside than Capers. Besides, isn't Capers considered a bit of long term project as well?

Yes, Capers is a project, as he just moved from TE two years ago. But I feel like he is already a better player than Campbell. And it's not as though he's way behind athletically. I think that bodes well for him as an NFL prospect. Campbell hasn't convinced me of very much.

Big Mike Williams made the swap the guard and has been performing much better.

Also that guard that plays for Dallas use to be a tackle in Arizona. He was considered a bust until he made the switch to Guard.

You're missing the point. Leverage is way more important than length on the interior of the line. There aren't a lot of guards out there that are above 6'5" and those that are (e.g., Leonard Davis and Mike Williams) are massive human beings (330+ pounds).

I really like Ricky Sapp but I think we have to take Bruce Campbell with this 4th rounder and start stockpiling young talent on the Oline, I want the skins to start investing in local talent and picking up a local kid who has slipped in the draft you can bet he is going to show up and play hard for us. His athleticism is exactly what we they are looking for and would make a great draft for us picking up two bookend tackles to be mentored by Samuels.

You're missing the point. Leverage is way more important than length on the interior of the line. There aren't a lot of guards out there that are above 6'5" and those that are (e.g., Leonard Davis and Mike Williams) are massive human beings (330+ pounds).

315 is not that far off from 330 plus Campbell has the strength just needs the technique.

He could be ready next year if not he can be a solid hopefully RT.

Most of our 4th rounders dont result in much.

];7482675']Campbell would make a fine RT. Plus his athleticism would help in the ZBS.

Hopefully Ricky Sapp drops to the 5.

Campbell is a notoriously poor run blocker. Unless this staff can work some magic with him, I don't know that I'd want him starting games anywhere on our line in 2010.

I don't know I mean if he has only played like 18 games in college then I say we would be taking a HUGE gamble if we do draft him.He won't be ready and I would rather draft a guy that played on a consistant basis and is more ready for the NFL.JMO

It is the fourth round of the draft... a lot of the guys available at this point need a good bit of developing.

It is the fourth round of the draft... a lot of the guys available at this point need a good bit of developing.

Yeah I agree but alot of the players that are picked in the 4th round usually play all four years and what I have heard Cambell has only played like 18 games and thats what scares me.Don't get me wrong I would'nt mind us drafting the kid b/c he does look like he is very athletic but his experience on the football field is what bothers me.

Archived