Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can you sue a post office?

757SeanTaylor21

im curious to know if yuo can actually sue a post office for losing your mail when its their job to send it. my dad sent me my cross which you cant put a value to it cause its straight sentimental value on it and i feel incomplete with out it. so he goes and sends it, i never receive it and they say its lost. so my question is...can i sue them?

To be completely and brutally honest, you'd be wasting everyone's time by filing a suit over this. It's a shame that your valued possession got lost but it happens and you just have to hope for the best and move on.

Not sure you can sue, but you can file a claim with the postal service

http://www.usps.com/insuranceclaims/welcome.htm

That's only if he insured it to begin with, otherwise he's SOL.

my dad sent it, i didnt have no control over it. the cross is what my brother made for me from prison. had it since 04 and i guess its just now gone. i mean its sentimental value but if they are responsible for delivering it to me and never deliver the mail shouldnt i be able to be compensated for what i lost? what if it was 5000 dollar cash he was sending ya know?

my dad sent it, i didnt have no control over it. the cross is what my brother made for me from prison. had it since 04 and i guess its just now gone. i mean its sentimental value but if they are responsible for delivering it to me and never deliver the mail shouldnt i be able to be compensated for what i lost? what if it was 5000 dollar cash he was sending ya know?

Not to be intrusive, but has your brother passed away ?

And if it were cash...send it western union.

Insurance and tracking. And if it was that important why did you have no say in the matter ?

Sending $5,000 cash via USPS or any other delivery service is just plain irresponsible. So is failing to insure any valuable item you send, although sentimental value isn't really insurable.

You can hound USPS' customer service and your local post office to locate the package but any investigation they do will be slow and if they can't find anything they really can't be held liable.

Sending $5,000 cash via USPS or any other delivery service is just plain irresponsible. So is failing to insure any valuable item you send, although sentimental value isn't really insurable.

You can hound USPS' customer service and your local post office to locate the package but any investigation they do will be slow and if they can't find anything they really can't be held liable.

i wasnt bein serious i understand it would be irresponsible, i mean who wuold do that? its just a principle though if you sent money to me and i never got it is it my fault or theirs?

I had something of value sent to me, tracked and insured, via USPS. They lost it.

I filed a claim.

That was the end of it.

All attempts to follow up have ended with them not being accountable.

Plus I can't get my insurance money.

Lesson learned: USPS is OK for letters and such, but use UPS or FedEx for anything of value.

This is my problem with the postal system. We have to pay them extra to ensure that they do their job right. Im sorry but anywhere else, the company is held responsible for handling their business. I work in clinical trials. If I lose patient data, I am responsible. I cant say "oh well should have paid extra to insure it". Its pathetic.

im curious to know if yuo can actually sue a post office for losing your mail when its their job to send it. my dad sent me my cross which you cant put a value to it cause its straight sentimental value on it and i feel incomplete with out it. so he goes and sends it, i never receive it and they say its lost. so my question is...can i sue them?

You're not supposed to mail them in a regular envelope. I hear they get damaged in their automated equipment. I assume you're talking about the small ones you wear around your neck. If that's what happened, then there's not a thing you can do.

You're not supposed to mail cash. So you would be SOL there, too.

I'm PO'd at the PO, too.

A friend of mine sent me an EXTREMELY URGENT package that ALWAYS takes 2-3 days to get here otherwise, but this time it took over a week. I honestly thought I'd never see it. With it being urgent, the reason they didn't express it, is because if it would have gotten here even the maximum reasonable time - about 4 days, I would have been fine, but I've never seen a package take that long. The PO service must be rapidly declining. And they want to raise postage again :doh:

there's actually still a provision in the US code that sending an amount of cash greater than some value is a federal crime. Can't remember what value it is though, it may be 100 dollars...

Archived