Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per Twitter : Eagles get Sims from Lions!

Number5

Sims has been a major disappointment. He's been downright awful the last three years. Zero instincts, constantly overran plays, missed a ton of tackles in space, etc. I don't know what Sims y'all have been watching but it wasn't #50 on the Lions.

The Lions plan on using a ton of two TE sets.

Would you say that's a product of an overall lack of talent on the defensive side of the ball? Or has Sims just been giving up and blowing plays by himself?

I don't think it is the major upgrade some are making it out to be.. I don't view Simms as any better than Will Witherspoon that they let go. The only difference is Witherspoon is a bit older and has made plays in his career.

1 Int and 5 Passes defensed in a career for a guy who is a burner and undersized is unimpressive.

My first thought was great pick up by the Eagles.

But if Millen says the Eagles got a steal I know the Lions did alright!

Matt Millen says Ernie Sims didn't fit with Detroit's new defense

As yet another first-round pick from the failed Matt Millen regime in Detroit becomes a former member of the team, who better to explain what happened with linebacker Ernie Sims than, well, Matt Millen?

In an interview with 97.3 FM in Atlantic City, Millen told Mike Gill of The Sportsbash that Sims simply doesn't fit the new defense that's being implemented in Detroit.

As Millen explains it, Sims was drafted to play weakside linebacker in the Tampa Two/Cover Two defense, which is premised on speed and athleticism. Under coach Jim Schwartz, larger linebackers are required.

Millen also suggested that the Eagles got a steal, given that they got the ninth pick in the 2006 draft for only a fifth-round selection.

"The problem is when you change the defense, sometimes guys fit, [and] sometimes they don't fit," Millen said.

Still, the Lions got tight end Tony Scheffler and a seventh-round pick for Sims. If anyone got screwed here, it was Denver, who got a two-round upgrade (from seven to five) for a guy who was a second-round pick four years ago.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/19/matt-millen-says-ernie-sims-didnt-fit-with-detroits-new-defense/

Sims couldn't even keep a starting role on the Detroit Lions. I don't see how this is an example of their ineptness.

Exactly. There were some players coming out of college I thought would be great in the pros, but for some reason (sometimes injury) they fall flat in the pros. I thought Mike Williams the receiver would do fine in the pros. I thought Mike Williams the tackle would also be fine. Everyone has their list. Courtney Brown? The Broncos tried to rehash the former #1 pick a few years ago and it didn't work.

A former 1st rounder that looked great in college doesn't really mean much.

Now I loved Sims coming out, and the Eagles will only pay like 1M this year and a 5th rounder, so it's certainly a risk worth taking, but this is far from a sure thing.

I hate to say it, but a very good move for the Eagles - their LB corps was their weak link last year(even WITHOUT the injuries) - but although Sims may not have lived up to his #5 overall pick status, nonetheless, he fits in perfectly with Philly's D schemes. With Bradley/Gaither/Jordan/Sims, McDermott is going to be able to utilize alot of speed, especially in the blitz department. Bad news for us - we won't be able to exploit their front 7 like we did the last 2 games of last year.

Make no mistake - Eagles, even without McNabb/Westbrook, are going to be very good this year.

Archived