Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Friday's Redskins Nation: Portis looking real slim

TSO

Right . . . how slim a guy looks in the offseason will play a huge factor in his season. My bad. Maybe a chat room full of guys arguing over how slim another guy looks is important.

:ols: It's not about his weight more than it is a cause for anticipating a more explosive Portis... one who we as Redskins fans weren't able to enjoy as much because of the back he became under Gibbs.

I honestly don't think you missed that point. You just seem like you're having a bad day or something. ;)

Interesting... the clips and pics I've seen, looks like he still has a pot belly.

Clinton has always had a belly.

I remember him getting interviewed on SportsCenter when he was still with the Broncos and he said his nickname in Denver was "Booty Do". Cuz his belly stick out further than his booty do.

Let's see, he hasn't played since half way before the season ended and that was 6 months ago, plus now he's not going to be the bruiser (that's LJ's role) and he gets to go back to the zone blocking scheme that made him famous in this league to begin with... of coarse he's going to look a little more slender. It's helps his speed/quickness. He's gets to be the cut and run slasher again.

The only thing I'm concerned about with Portis is his concussion. It seems once a player gets one, then more concussions start to show up if someone just breaths on them. I think I speak from experience because I'm pretty sure I got a few concussions from playing in high school (but we didn't have no medical staff and our coaches were careless and just flat out stupid/ignorant when it came to health and injuries) and it seems like every time I play football with friends, if it's tackle football, if I get my bell rung I'll usally feel a sore headache for a few days. Never had it officially diagnosed, but it sure seems like concussions. (Head has been landed on by full bodies and bounced off the ground a few times without a helmet if that gives you a better picture.) But hey, that's the life of a Linebacker/Runningback.

well Portis had to adjust his body to fit the Gibbs RB mold by gaining weight... maybe he is changing gear to fit the ZBS. Hopefully the result will be the same as it was in DEnver.

Ditto

Yah know that that isn't really a pot belly......it's called muscle being relaxed.......it happens to a lot of very muscular Black males.........no joke :beatdeadhorse:

Strange. It also seems to happen to 44 year old white guys as well.

I think it is funny that everyone things that the dramatic decline in Portis' skills after he has hit the wall like all running backs do is somehow going to reverse itself because of the mystical "zone blocking system."

Portis has hit the wall based on number of carries. He's not going to be the RB he was 6 years ago and be fast again just because we have a different blocking scheme.

Incidentally, if the ZBS was like the greatest thing EVAR, don't you think more teams would be moving to it?

Incidentally, if the ZBS was like the greatest thing EVAR, don't you think more teams would be moving to it?

...Do some research, they are moving to it. That's why its harder for Shanahan to find "steals" for his OL late in the draft now, other teams are using the same scheme, which relies on the more athletic, less huge, previously value-less linemen.

Portis has hit the wall based on number of carries. He's not going to be the RB he was 6 years ago and be fast again just because we have a different blocking scheme.

Right. It's good that he's going to have two other capable RBs with him to share the load because he'll need it. However, at some point in the near or not too far future, this team is going to have to invest itself in a young RB for the future because what they have now aren't exactly spring chickens.

...Do some research, they are moving to it. That's why its harder for Shanahan to find "steals" for his OL late in the draft now, other teams are using the same scheme, which relies on the more athletic, less huge, previously value-less linemen.

There isn't some sudden switch to the ZBS around the league. Every team does it and every team also plays man. Some teams just do one more than the other. So I would disagree that other teams are moving to it or that it's harder to find "steals" for his OL. Not all zone teams prefer smaller lineman. Oakland runs a zone scheme under Cable and three of their starters are 325+. Hell Langston Walker started 2 games for them at 6-8 366. Hardly a small lineman. The only player on their OL that fits the Shanahan mold of smaller lineman is Carlisle Cooper at 295.

Zone blocking vs. man blocking isn't some specific scheme like so many posters here think the 3-4 is. There are many variations of each block scheme just like there are different variations of the 3-4 and 4-3 defenses. Not all coaches look for the same time of players just because they run a similar scheme.

The past two seasons we ran a lot of zone blocking but were still going after larger lineman. It's a preference anda detail of the sytem rather than the focus of it.

And you think Shaun Alexander wasn't muscular? It must of been his fat out of shape body that won league MVP.

Is this for real? Have you ever seen that dude without a shirt on? One of the least muscular guys in the league. I don't think Hutch or Walter Jones had anything to do with him winning that honor ha...

Archived