Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Via Adam Schefter - Marshall to Dolphins (2nd this year & 2nd/3rd next year)

Area51

I imagine that even past the picks, Miami is going to have to pour it out with a big new contract, too.

No thanks. Hope a curfew is built into it for south beach

Exactly.

They are talking on ESPN that he will likely get a huge contract that could send reverberations thru the league.

Also in recent years, Randy Moss has not been a head case even with rumors swirling that the Pats have no desire to resign him

I didnt care so much about the "head case" thing, because I trust in Shanahan to keep things under control.

For years I have seen so many posts on this message board about how we need to develop our own young talent. So now we have a qb who can get the ball to Kelly, Thomas, Mtchell, Davis, etc.

Lets see if one of them can develop into a top ten WR.

getting Marshall at this stage of the game would have been a nice luxury...but I'm really hoping we can sign someone like Adams so we have some insurance on our line ...or trade for OT...vs a WR...JMHO

Agreed. I find it hard to believe that we ever had any serious interest in Marshall. Had we given up our second before the McNabb trade that would have made it difficult to address the quarterback and left tackle positions, both of which had to be done this year. After the McNabb trade we had to know that we didn’t have enough picks and probably no players that Denver wanted.

I don't think we were ever seriously considering Marshall. I think the media were suggesting us as a spot because Shanahan used to coach the Broncos. It was reported that Shanahan wanted to cut Marshall before he was fired in Denver. So I never really understood why we would trade for him if Shanahan wanted to cut him.

Top five? :poke:

Wow...do stat boys even watch games in the NFL?

Here's a more valid Top 5 NFL WR list (In no particular order):

1. - Larry Fitzgerald

2. - Brandon Marshall

3. - Andre Johnson

4. - Reggie Wayne

5. - Steve Smith

Players who could crack this list at any given time as a toss up: Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings, Randy Moss, DeShaun Jackson.

I can't go with guys like Welker and Austin. Guys like that are not #1 targets and don't get the attention of the defense that the #1 guy does. Anyone like that is not Top 5 in the league. I can't go with a guy like Randy Moss either, as his age is beginning to reveal one of his greatest weaknesses, which is versatility. He's not running right by guys anymore and he's not tough enough to consistently go over the middle.

Dude, guy said he was top five. HE is not in reality, maybe in your mind he is and maybe he will be, but last year he was not. Facts is facts. Your opinion was not sought by the NFL, stats were.

I also don't see where the Redskins can afford such a risk when so many other holes exist. If anything I would like to see how our three young WR's perform this year. And DeSean Jackson with Kolb vs. McNabb.

Dude, guy said he was top five. HE is not in reality, maybe in your mind he is and maybe he will be, but last year he was not. Facts is facts. Your opinion was not sought by the NFL, stats were.

I also don't see where the Redskins can afford such a risk when so many other holes exist. If anything I would like to see how our three young WR's perform this year. And DeSean Jackson with Kolb vs. McNabb.

Stats say something but they certainly don't tell the whole story. Marshall has had 3 100 reception seasons in a row with 2 different quarterbacks. He is also just entering into the prime of his career. Also every single WR in front of him on that list had a better quarterback than Kyle Orton. If you want to argue that he isn't worth the trade because of behavior concerns thats valid, but he is a top 5 wide receiver in the league and he has proven it over the past 3 seasons. 300+ receptions for nearly 4,000 yards and 25 touchdowns over the past 3 years is top 5 production and that discounts the fact that he is entering the prime of his career while others like Moss are exiting it.

To be honest, I'd rather the coaching staff take their time and actually see what they have on this team before making big moves. That's why I was disappointed with the McNabb trade. The team doesn't even know if the line will be good enough to block for anyone and we do a short-term move like that.

While I hardly think that Marshall fit a need for us, at least he's young and his best years are still potentially ahead of him. I can't say that about McNabb, whom I think we'll be fortunate to get three good years out of him.

I don't think we were ever seriously considering Marshall. I think the media were suggesting us as a spot because Shanahan used to coach the Broncos. It was reported that Shanahan wanted to cut Marshall before he was fired in Denver. So I never really understood why we would trade for him if Shanahan wanted to cut him.

Good point, and don't forget that players' agents have already been using the Redskins as contract bait this offseason, i.g. Julius Peppers.

Anybody else realize this is almost EXACTLY what we gave up for McNabb?

2nd rounder this year and 3rd (or 4th) next year for a proven QUARTERBACK with playoff experience > 2nd rounder this year and 2nd or 3rd next year for a talented WIDE RECIEVER.

makes our deal look pretty damn good in my opinion.

This is great news. Now we don't have to worry about him coming here. He can now be a problem in Miami instead of Denver. He will be a problem wherever he is.

Agree. You can't deny the guy's talent, and while I would have been excited if we traded for him, I am glad he is not coming to DC.

I guarantee he is a problem for Miami in the locker room next yr.

2nd rounder this year and 3rd (or 4th) next year for a proven QUARTERBACK with playoff experience > 2nd rounder this year and 2nd or 3rd next year for a talented WIDE RECIEVER.

Brandon Marshall is 26 and entering the prime of his career.

Donovan Mcnabb is 34.

Obvious difference? One is likely past/at the end of his prime, one is 24 and already one of the best receivers in the league. Does NOT make our deal look all that great.

Brandon Marshall is 26 and entering the prime of his career.

Donovan Mcnabb is 34.

Obvious difference? One is likely past/at the end of his prime, one is 24 and already one of the best receivers in the league. Does NOT make our deal look all that great.

The potential impact and character of Donovan verses the potential impact and character of Marshall makes it a great deal. I would take our deal with Donovan over one with Marshall any day.

The potential impact and character of Donovan verses the potential impact and character of Marshall makes it a great deal. I would take our deal with Donovan over one with Marshall any day.

Great point.

And for the others:

Brandon Marshall

Height: 6-4 Weight: 230 Age: 26

Born: 3/23/1984 Pittsburgh , PA

College: Central Florida

Experience: 5th season

Not saying I wouldn't, but our deal isn't THAT much better if it is at all.

My thoughts on Marshall :

I think the crap about him being a huge problem is overblown to be honest. Look at what McDaniels has done in Denver, he managed to piss a lot of people off. To me, he seems like a coach that wants the team and the team's success to be about him and doesn't want any individuals on the team. That's fine and dandy, it might work, but it isn't common in today's league.

The whole mess with Marshall and his friend getting killed, I think that made stuff a lot worse in Denver, and he wanted out. I can understand it. Not saying he's a saint, but I think he gets too much hate.

And for the record, I think I would have seriously thought about offering next year's 1st for Marshall. I HATE how we keep tossing out draft picks, but that would make our receiving core very, very good for the next 5+ years. Don't roast me, just sayin!

My thoughts on Marshall :

I think the crap about him being a huge problem is overblown to be honest. Look at what McDaniels has done in Denver, he managed to piss a lot of people off. To me, he seems like a coach that wants the team and the team's success to be about him and doesn't want any individuals on the team. That's fine and dandy, it might work, but it isn't common in today's league.

The whole mess with Marshall and his friend getting killed, I think that made stuff a lot worse in Denver, and he wanted out. I can understand it. Not saying he's a saint, but I think he gets too much hate.

And for the record, I think I would have seriously thought about offering next year's 1st for Marshall. I HATE how we keep tossing out draft picks, but that would make our receiving core very, very good for the next 5+ years. Don't roast me, just sayin!

I would too, unless we were going to draft OL. Outside of O-Line, there is such a bust factor, and this kid is a sure-thing. I wouldn't have pulled the trigger cus I'd like another bookend tackle next year. Though we may find one in the later rounds this year, in which case I would definitely had traded the 1st

How much longer is McNabb going to have an impact, tho? While Marshall's best days are potentially still ahead of him, you can't say the same for McNabb.

Personally, I wouldn't have done either deal for our team. The move does make sense for the Fins, who need impact receivers badly.

Archived