Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Holmes traded to Jets

MattFancy

Damn thats a great deal for the Jets. Holmes - Cotchery - Edwards - Keller. Thats a damn nice group of WRs to throw to. If they Jets don't make it to the SB this year its all on Sanchez for ****ing that up.

If they falll short i agree it will be because of sanchez.

their entire team is ridiculously stacked.

Absolutely disgusting. I've been ranting on the Steelers board for the last hour. Another pisspoor move by our front office. We should have gotten AT LEAST a 3rd for a former SB MVP and a receiver that produced 1200 yards just entering his prime. Every move Tomlin and Colbert have made this year has just angered me to no extent. I'm about to fly over there and strangle both of them if we draft Dez Bryant in the first.

I guess the Steelers figured they weren't going to extend him in his final year and since he may only play 12 games, you might as well get what you can get. Still very stupid. Now Ben is going to be working with Wallace, Hines, Randle El, Sweed, and Battle. Sounds like an 5000 yard passing year to me :(

If this trade didn't happen, the Steelers were going to cut him anyway and get nothing in return. This way they get a 5th round pick, and they can find a diamond in the rough or not. The Jets get a guy for 12 games for $755,000.00 and have 2 first round pick receivers on the roster.

It's a win-win for both teams.

I think people still have this short sighted idea that any deal is determined solely by two teams. It never is. The Steelers were willing to settle for a 5th for Holmes. The Jets were willing to give a 5th for Holmes. And it appears no one else was willing to offer a 4th for Holmes.

You are forgetting there are 30 other teams in the NFL. If it was THAT much of a steal the Steelers could easily have called up any number of other teams and gotten a better pick. This isn't like the Raiders and Randy Moss, Holmes was really good last year. This shows how little ALL of the teams in the NFL think of Holmes and his future.

I'm not saying it won't work out really well for the Jets, but its not JUST the Steelers who value him that lowly.

I think people still have this short sighted idea that any deal is determined solely by two teams. It never is. The Steelers were willing to settle for a 5th for Holmes. The Jets were willing to give a 5th for Holmes. And it appears no one else was willing to offer a 4th for Holmes.

You are forgetting there are 30 other teams in the NFL. If it was THAT much of a steal the Steelers could easily have called up any number of other teams and gotten a better pick. This isn't like the Raiders and Randy Moss, Holmes was really good last year. This shows how little ALL of the teams in the NFL think of Holmes and his future.

I'm not saying it won't work out really well for the Jets, but its not JUST the Steelers who value him that lowly.

Good observation.

Edit: According to PFT, you might be right.

The biggest question in the wake of the abrupt decision by the Steelers to trade receiver Santonio Holmes is whether the Jets were the only team in the mix.

They weren't.

Per a league source, the Steelers "called everyone" regarding the possibility of trading for Holmes. (The source then acknowledged that the Ravens likely weren't called, and possibly not the Browns or the Bengals. The Eagles don't see a potential problem with calling any of those three teams.)

The process began, we're told, on Friday and accelerated over the weekend. And no one else was seriously interested.

Still, as pointed out in a coming edition of PFT Daily, the Steelers should have shipped him to the NFC, even if it meant only taking a sixth-round pick or a seventh-round pick.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/12/steelers-called-everyone-regarding-santonio-trade/

I'm not really sure what the Eagles have to do with the price of tea in China. Perhaps it was a mistake.

Damn thats a great deal for the Jets. Holmes - Cotchery - Edwards - Keller. Thats a damn nice group of WRs to throw to. If they Jets don't make it to the SB this year its all on Sanchez for ****ing that up.

Haven't the Chargers and Cowboys been touted as "the most talented teams" in the Nfl for several years running?

Look at all of these potentially volatile personalties: Serial sperm donor Cromartie, loudmouthed LT, Rex Ryan, and now Mr. Shake 'n Bake.

They are a talented group of individuals, but that doesn't mean that they are going to be a good team.

And about the compensation:

Mr Kirwan huge steelers fan since the 70s how much input do you think coach Tomlin had in this.And we couldnt get better than 5th rd pick .i guess they really like Mike Wallace thank you

Pat Kirwan, NFL.com

The compensation for Holmes fell apart with Holmes' off-field problems. From what I found out, they shopped this guy everywhere. Too much risk for anything better than a fifth. His off-field history goes all the way back to high school. There were teams that wouldn't draft him when he was coming out.

Good post.

People are jumping the gun on this being such a great steal for the Jets, I think.

I doubt the Steelers put out feelers for Holmes and took the first offer that they got back within an hour. I'm more inclined to believe that the market for Holmes was just really low around the league.

Holmes is one more incident away from facing a really long suspension, and as it's been discussed already in this thread, he's kind of out there in his own world.

Edwards has the shakiest of hands, and since both Holmes and Edwards only have one year left on their current deals and are basically the same kind of player, I'd say only one of them will be in New York after this season.

Cotchery and Keller are pretty solid, I'll give you that. But I'm not willing to say "it's all on Sanchez" necessarily.

Archived