Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Don't worry Cowboys fans, Doug Free can do the job at left tackle

tr1

http://www.dallasnews.com/s/dws/nwsltr/sports/ivr/stories/040710dnspocowletter.220e9ff42.html

07:20 PM CDT on Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Column by JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News |

For much of the season, fans have deluged my inbox with e-mails about what a detriment Flozell Adams is to the Cowboys.

Now that he's gone, I'm getting all these e-mails about how the Cowboys should've kept him another year.

You're not convinced Doug Free is ready to handle the job. You feel more comfortable with Adams. You're concerned about what happens if Free can't handle the job.

Well, you don't get to have it both ways. You wanted Adams gone, so deal with it.

Why don't you trust line coach Hudson Houck to get the most from Free? Why don't you think he'll play well?

He did nothing in the seven games he started last season when Marc Colombo was hurt to indicate that he can't be a solid left tackle. He played well, for the most part, and delivered the block of the year on Felix Jones' 49-yard touchdown run in the win over Philadelphia that clinched the NFC East.

There's never a good time to thrust a young player into the lineup, but this gives Free an opportunity to get all of the practice repetitions in the mini-camps and training camp without worrying about Adams' presence.

Free will work against DeMarcus Ware in practice, and if he's not good enough it won't be hard to tell.

Stop being scared.

Anthony Spencer replaced Greg Ellis last year. Mike Jenkins replaced Anthony Henry. Miles Austin replaced T.O.

It's time for Free to replace Adams.

Flozell is going to be a Skin shortly. He's getting a head start on changing his opinion.

LOL! Now that's worthy of the :ols:

I don't know enough about Free so I'm not going to comment on him. But, do you 'boys fans think Adams has enough left in him to be effective for at least one more year?

I don't know enough about Free so I'm not going to comment on him. But, do you 'boys fans think Adams has enough left in him to be effective for at least one more year?

I think that Dallas should have held onto him....so yes, I think so.

For another year, I would have liked to keep him. But I guess at the price for Jerry was just to much.

Sometimes with guys like Free, you have to just toss them to the wolves and see if they can fight. It worked well with Anthony Spencer. They cut Ellis, tossed Spencer to the wolves and he stood on his own two feet without training wheels. He was 3rd in the NFL with rushes on the QB. That's impressive when you look at all of the elite pass rushers out there.

Do I think Free will have a Pro Bowl year? No.

But, if he can be above average and keep Romo sits to pee off the ground then we have our Left Tackle of the future and he is 7 years younger and a hell of a lot cheaper!

Is this the same Doug Free that got destroyed by Ray Edwards last year? Lol yeah good luck with that Dallas fan :ols:

No, that was Columbo still recovering from a broken leg who was eaten alive. Free came in for the injured Flozell in that game and wasn't up to playing LT for the first time and blocking Jarred Allen.

Throughout the year Free played very well at RT, but is generally agreed by coaches and scouts to be more of a natural LT.

[

Anthony Spencer replaced Greg Ellis last year. Mike Jenkins replaced Anthony Henry. Miles Austin replaced T.O.

It's time for Free to replace Adams.

Didn't roy Roy Williams replace T.O.? I mean Miles Austin stepped up, but Williams was the actual replacement.

HTTR

Flozell is going to be a Skin shortly. He's getting a head start on changing his opinion.

Yeah, I'm sure a change in uniform will improve his motion penalties and quicken him up a bit...:rolleyes:

It's too bad you don't care to realize how objective I am most of the time.

:ols:

I just don't understand why the move was made when it was. We all saw what happened when he went out during the Minny game. It was a disaster...

I would have held onto Flo for a bit longer. he didn't seem to be a locker cancer (ala Ellis/Owens) so I would think that keeping him around as insurance would have been wiser.

Yeah, I'm sure a change in uniform will improve his motion penalties and quicken him up a bit...:rolleyes:

It's too bad you don't care to realize how objective I am most of the time.

:ols:

So the Redskins signing Flo wouldn't be a good move for the Redskins then.

Glad you're on record with that opinion.

I know one player in the NFL that would be more than happy with Doug Free at LT, perhaps you heard of him? Minnesota VIkings Defensive End #69 Jared Allen... yeah here's what he thinks about the idea:

nfl_g_allen11_576.jpg

Rechecking things...Allen had 1 sack that game, and it wasn't even against Free

Archived