Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Mosley - Tap The Breaks On Redskins Playoff Talks

TheLongshot

I have noticed alot you guys are down on this McNacbb trade and I can see why you would have this feeling, but the one thing you guys need to understand is this offseason is not over by any means. This trade alone made you guys better, alot better. Here in Dallas we were hoping to God McNabb would be traded out of the division, it is very disappointing he is still here. I hate McNabb with every bone in my body, but even I realize he is a solid QB. You guys go after Jared Gaither in free agency, maybe draft Eric Berry and you guys are in good shape in my opinion.

Mosley is pretty much spot on. It makes us a better team now yes but it's really not a trade that a rebuilding team should be making.

We are rebuilding? Since when? I thought we're fixing our holes to compliment our good defense.

A rebuilding team wouldn't sign Larry Johnson and Willie Parker.

McNabb = Jake Plummer v2.0

He will be the starter for a few years until the OL and RB situation are fixed and the QB of the future drafted.

Only difference is that Jake Plummer signed with Denver as a FA, not was traded there for a 2nd and 3rd round picks. This is a horrible move that reeks classic Redskins. You are right though that we will be drafting a QB very high again in the next 2 years to be McNabb's replacement. Just another high pick spent on the QB position by the Redskins. This is embarrassing.

I don't really think anyone is proclaiming playoffs here. What bringing McNabb here does to is make a rebuilding team actually relevant in the 2010 season.

We gave up a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd or a 4th in 2011 depending on performance I assume. That is not a steep price to pay when you put the acquisition of Donovan McNabb in context.

This isn't a one year, all chips in type of angle Shanahan and Allen are taking here. Their goal coming in was to change the culture of the Washington Redskins and change the attitude of the franchise by jettisoning the old, stagnant, under performing players of the old regime, and slowly bring in new players who can perform at a level equal to or above their salary. What McNabb does is establish this culture in the locker room, with his past achievements and credibility giving the team confidence that yes, they can win. He is, above all else, a leader and the players do rally around him as the past has shown.

While McNabb does this, Shanahan and Allen continue to build the team through extensive scouting, making the most out of our picks, and finding as many diamonds in the rough as possible for the 2010 off season. Thus, this results in somewhat of a transition year in 2010, which explains the multiple cheap FA signings that have a bit of a "stop-gap" label on them. This year will allow them to find who has the stuff to be a part of the new organization, and who needs to be replaced.

That will lead us to the 2011 draft, which I believe is where we'll begin to see the extensive injection of youth via the draft, as we'll have more picks and potentially a greater ability to acquire more picks as we'll have more guys we know are expendable.

Despite the fact that this is a trade and not a FA acquisition, getting McNabb reminds me of when Miami went and got Chad Pennington. He was a veteran guy who was proven, commanded respect and leadership in the locker room, and actually made the Dolphins relevant, while acting a bridge to Chad Henne as the new QB. I have a feeling that this is very similar to how our QB situation will eventually shake down.

I don't really think anyone is proclaiming playoffs here. What bringing McNabb here does to is make a rebuilding team actually relevant in the 2010 season.

We gave up a 2nd round pick, and a 3rd or a 4th in 2011 depending on performance I assume. That is not a steep price to pay when you put the acquisition of Donovan McNabb in context.

This isn't a one year, all chips in type of angle Shanahan and Allen are taking here. Their goal coming in was to change the culture of the Washington Redskins and change the attitude of the franchise by jettisoning the old, stagnant, under performing players of the old regime, and slowly bring in new players who can perform at a level equal to or above their salary. What McNabb does is establish this culture in the locker room, with his past achievements and credibility giving the team confidence that yes, they can win. He is, above all else, a leader and the players do rally around him as the past has shown.

While McNabb does this, Shanahan and Allen continue to build the team through extensive scouting, making the most out of our picks, and finding as many diamonds in the rough as possible for the 2010 off season. Thus, this results in somewhat of a transition year in 2010, which explains the multiple cheap FA signings that have a bit of a "stop-gap" label on them. This year will allow them to find who has the stuff to be a part of the new organization, and who needs to be replaced.

That will lead us to the 2011 draft, which I believe is where we'll begin to see the extensive injection of youth via the draft, as we'll have more picks and potentially a greater ability to acquire more picks as we'll have more guys we know are expendable.

Despite the fact that this is a trade and not a FA acquisition, getting McNabb reminds me of when Miami went and got Chad Pennington. He was a veteran guy who was proven, commanded respect and leadership in the locker room, and actually made the Dolphins relevant, while acting a bridge to Chad Henne as the new QB. I have a feeling that this is very similar to how our QB situation will eventually shake down.

How does that make any sense whatsoever? The whole point of rebuilding is to lay the groundwork for future success. You acquire picks for run down talent (like the Eagles did), not try to make a rebuilding team relevant. Who cares if we are relevant this year (6-10 is not relevant to me though) if this cripples us again for some seasons down the road?

Since the 2003 draft we have had 14 top 100 selections in the draft. Is there any wonder why our roster is filled with aging players and scrubs?

How does that make any sense whatsoever? The whole point of rebuilding is to lay the groundwork for future success. You acquire picks for run down talent (like the Eagles did), not try to make a rebuilding team relevant. Who cares if we are relevant this year (6-10 is not relevant to me though) if this cripples us again for some seasons down the road?

Since the 2003 draft we have had 14 top 100 selections in the draft. Is there any wonder why our roster is filled with aging players and scrubs?

The point of future success isn't just about acquiring talent, but changing a culture in the locker room that all the players can buy into. The QB position is the most important position on the field, and if you can upgrade it in such a way that our organization just did, you should without question.

I agree that I hate the fact that we had to give up picks for this. But this isn't anything like the Jason Taylor trade all over again where we made a play for a guy who didn't fit our scheme and wouldn't impact us in a way comparable to the price we paid. This is an all-pro QB that can add credibility to our offense and help lay the ground work for the future.

Think of it this way. Do you think the Miami Dolphins' future benefited from their run in 2008 that arguably was attributed to Chad Pennington? Or do you think they'd be nearly as confident in their abilities had they had a down year in 2008 with Josh McCown or John Beck at the helm?

The picks and youth will come with time. What adding McNabb does is he likely will actually help us get more out of the young players we currently have and will get in the future. That, to me, is worth a lot more than just bringing in lots of young players who will flounder in a locker room with weak leadership.

Only difference is that Jake Plummer signed with Denver as a FA, not was traded there for a 2nd and 3rd round picks. This is a horrible move that reeks classic Redskins. You are right though that we will be drafting a QB very high again in the next 2 years to be McNabb's replacement. Just another high pick spent on the QB position by the Redskins. This is embarrassing.

:ols:

Does it really matter how he came here, via hook or by crook. The fact is the chicken littles here that ****ed, pissed and moaned that they didn't have a QB and that its a QB league :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Now the team has a pro bowl caliber QB and the pissing and moaning starts anew.

Simply pathetic.

:ols:

The fact is the chicken littles here that ****ed, pissed and moaned that they didn't have a QB and that its a QB league :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:

Now the team has a pro bowl caliber QB and the pissing and moaning starts anew.

Simply pathetic.

Uh, most of the QB contingent here is pleased or at least neutral. Not saying all, bust most of the prominent "voices" of that faction are pleased. Don't really appreciate the icons and "moaning" since many of us are just fine now and have no issue going OL with the top pick and subsequent selections.

You'll notice that he whines about a high pick spent on a QB, whereas pro-QB people were generally ADVOCATING it.

There are two camps opposing the move, in the main: 1) Youth uber alles we need to rebuild from the ground up types and 2) JC Supporters (with some Culters sprinkled in)

Mosley is pretty much spot on. It makes us a better team now yes but it's really not a trade that a rebuilding team should be making.

Where in the hell does this roster show were rebuilding?This is not a rebuiding team!With McNabb and upgrading the off.line we can compete for the nfc.We went from probably finishing last to a chance at winning the division with one trade!The most important position QB,something the skins have'nt had in over a decade.This is a grat move.

The best part about McNabb is that he'll find the open guy, something JC has admittedly had trouble with it. But it will be fun to pull the hair out the first time he tries to hit Cooley/Portis/RB in the flat and he bounces it to him off the turf.

(Say who thinks we play Philly week 1 now? ;)

I don't see why Mosley doesn't think this makes us a better team. Now our sole focus will be on the OL from here until training camp. We have a legit top 10 QB in the NFL now, we have a top 10 defense, we have solid RBs, and we have some young WRs. I'm sure Shanny and Allen both know that the OL hasn't been fixed yet and that is what they will address next.

Mosley is absolutely right. This team was not a mere QB away last year.

McNabb may be good enough to get a crappy team to 8 wins or so. Think Favre with the Jets.

And make no mistake, we have a crappy team right now. How many draft picks do we have now? If we used every single pick we have on the OL I'm not sure it would be enough. And that's if you like having the Battling Geriatric Outpatient Brigade running the ball for us.

I don't see why Mosley doesn't think this makes us a better team. Now our sole focus will be on the OL from here until training camp. We have a legit top 10 QB in the NFL now, we have a top 10 defense, we have solid RBs, and we have some young WRs. I'm sure Shanny and Allen both know that the OL hasn't been fixed yet and that is what they will address next.

Of course it makes us a better team. Then again, 5-11 is a better team. We don't have to be a contender to be better than we were last year.

I would fall somewhere between Clayton and Moseley actually.

Clayton is getting ahead of himself by declaring we're co-favorites to win the division, something we haven't done (and only once challenged for) in 10 years. However, I think Moseley might be underestimating our talent a bit. Sure, we're not loaded. But I think competent coaching will get more out of our current players.

What I believe this regime is attempting to do is cobble together a good team WHILE we rebuild in the background. Our current defense plus some talented veterans on offense (McNabb, Johnson, Parker, Hicks) might get us used to winning. In the background, we will be adding youth, grooming younger players, and implementing a program.

I don't think Moseley is properly accounting for the upgrade at the two most influential spots on a football team: coaching and QB. For years, that's what's separated us from the Eagles. Now, coaching and QB have to be considered a strength. We're not a 12-win team or anything...but we could have a winning record in year 1 now...and be poised to make some noise.

Finally, I believe Mike Shanahan is hitching his wagon to McNabb. He's his Elway. In a few years when Mike wants to stay in the front office and let Kyle run the show, we'll probably have the heir apparent on the roster, fully groomed, and ready to take over...

What I believe this regime is attempting to do is cobble together a good team WHILE we rebuild in the background. Our current defense plus some talented veterans on offense (McNabb, Johnson, Parker, Hicks) might get us used to winning. In the background, we will be adding youth, grooming younger players, and implementing a program.

We have to think that, because that's the only strategy that makes sense now that we've spent ANOTHER high draft pick on an old formerly-great player.

That doesn't mean that's what we're doing. I haven't seen any evidence this team is rebuilding. I've seen us sign a couple very old RBs and trade away picks. Teams in rebuild-mode generally trade FOR them.

Archived