Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Mosley - Tap The Breaks On Redskins Playoff Talks

TheLongshot

Did you watch any Redskins game last year? If so, you'd notice our secondary sucks. Big time. You'd also notice our OL was horrible, and the 3 guys you named up there are part of that badness.

RB

OL

S

CB

QB - which we did upgrade

Blame the coaches or whoever you want to, but the fact is those positions didn't get the job done last year.

RB is taken care of now. So is CB and QB. If players can stay healthy we do have a little depth at safety. That leaves OL. We do need some help on the DL and LB since we're switch to a 3-4, but that's mostly for depth. Everyone keeps saying we have these huge holes, but a few of them have been addressed. Just seems like some of you guys don't like what they've fill the holes with.

And you can blame a lot of it on coaching. Secondary didn't suck so much as they were on the field way too long and told to play waaayy to far off the ball on short yardage plays. They did get beat a few times, but Blache didn't help too much with his passive schemes. Imagine how good our d would've been with a more aggressive defensive scheme. The talent alone is why they were as good as they were

I guess some fans have gotten used to a depleted draft, never mind that it is because of those depleted drafts that we have the situation that we have on the OL.

For some time now, it has been my impression that the typical Skins' fan talks out of both sides of his mouth. He believes in building through the draft, but wants to win now.

I'm a strong proponent of building and maintaining a high-grade team primarily through the draft, but I won't criticize trades even for old vets when they make sense. But, I can't make sense of this one.

I don't think the inconsistent, big play style of offense Andy Reid fashioned around Donovan is a good plan if winning Super Bowls is the goal. Moreover, the Eagles' offense depended on: 1) Donovan's legs and his ability to extend plays; and 2) well-run screen passes with Westbrook in an open field. Neither of those advantages is coming to Washington in the trade.

McNabb's deep throwing ability won't help us given our O line protection problems which are not likely to be solved overnight.

Our three young receivers drafted in 2008, were drafted for a conventional, ball control WCO which McNabb isn't suited to run. The only deep threat we have is Santana who appears close to the end of his string.

Thomas isn't a deep threat? Davis is probably a top 3 deep threat at QB. The only "possession" guys we have is Kelly and Mitchell. Also, I think our running game will be better than theirs, seeing we'll actually *attempt* to run the ball.

The Eagles actually have done a lot of dink and dunk WCO in the past, at least when their WRs weren't great (todd pinkston loooooool).

Personally, we're two linemen away from being "okay" on the line. Stephon Heyer is an UPGRADE from Jason Peters. I really think that one of our trash-heap guys or a low-round RT could stick in the "water to wine" schemes of Shanahan. Okung or even Bulaga will be the best LT *prospect* he's ever had (Bulaga coming in is at least as good as Clady coming in), and we can still trade down and go with Iupati/Williams/Davis. We just need to package McIntosh, Carter, Campbell, Cooley, and possibly Haynesworth in trades somehow.

Mosley is on the right track, and is in fact being kind to the Redskins. Taken on its own merits within the context of where this team is, this trade doesn't make any sense for the Redskins.

I think Shanahan is trying to recreate the Elway situation he had several years ago in Denver. The problem is that he's inheriting a 4-12 team with multiple holes on the roster, not a .500 team that just needs the great QB to make them a playoff team.

We can speculate about what future offseason moves the team might make but right now, this looks like a band-aid solution where we've once again sacrificed the future for immediate gratification.

For some time now, it has been my impression that the typical Skins' fan talks out of both sides of his mouth. He believes in building through the draft, but wants to win now.

I've noticed that dichotomy for a long time. Fans seem to have this love/hate relationship with big moves like this: they love it when it happens and hate it when it doesn't turn out as well as it could have. People talk about building through the draft, but I doubt many truly believe in it. In the end, many are mini-Snyders, who desperately want to win.

I don't think the inconsistent, big play style of offense Andy Reid fashioned around Donovan is a good plan if winning Super Bowls is the goal. Moreover, the Eagles' offense depended on: 1) Donovan's legs and his ability to extend plays; and 2) well-run screen passes with Westbrook in an open field. Neither of those advantages is coming to Washington in the trade.

Personally, I don't think Donovan's legs have been an advantage for a while. If anything, he seems very resistant to use his legs, even when it is the best move.

Our three young receivers drafted in 2008, were drafted for a conventional, ball control WCO which McNabb isn't suited to run. The only deep threat we have is Santana who appears close to the end of his string.

I'll disagree with you here. Both Thomas and Mitchell are speed guys and traditionally have been deep threats in college. They haven't been used as deep threats much because we haven't been able to go deep.

The only thing I dont like about it is the fact that we are rebuilding and we give up the equivalent of a 1st round pick for a guy who will only start for a maximum of 2 years. We werent a QB away like the Vikings. We are a QB, o-line, recieving corp, special teams unit, and defense that can get turnovers away from contention. If we needed a stopgap guy just start Jason Campbell or Colt Brennan and draft the best available QB in this draft. Hopefully Bruce and Shanny have a plan to get the picks back.

I'll disagree with you here. Both Thomas and Mitchell are speed guys and traditionally have been deep threats in college. They haven't been used as deep threats much because we haven't been able to go deep.

Thomas has good speed for his size, but he is not a burner like Santana has been. Mitchell has yet to prove he can play in the NFL. Neither compares to the Eagles Maclin or Jackson.

Thomas has good speed for his size, but he is not a burner like Santana has been. Mitchell has yet to prove he can play in the NFL. Neither compares to the Eagles Maclin or Jackson.

Well, neither compares right now because neither have gotten the opportunity that both of those players have gotten.

Thomas ran a 4.4 40 at the combine. Mitchell runs a 4.49. That's pretty darn fast. Maclin's times at the combine were pretty close to Thomas'.

Well, neither compares right now because neither have gotten the opportunity that both of those players have gotten.

So, you are hoping they are deep threats while my remarks are based on what I've seen from them so far.

Davis is probably a top 3 deep threat at QB.

Is that Fred Davis you're referring to? If so, he's play TE not QB. How would a QB be a deep threat, when he's a QB? Is he gonna do that 8 yr old type of football play and throw the ball up in the air and then run around everyone and catch it like we did as kids in the street in front of the house?

Sorry, but this post makes no sense.

No **** Mosely. You could've summed up that blog very easily in one sentence.

"This is certainly a fascinating trade in terms of its impact on two franchises, but to say that Washington and Dallas are the co-favorites in the division is a pretty big stretch."

Just had to throw in your jabs though, eh?

the team obviously felt that after looking at the qb offerings in this years draft that McNabb for a 2nd and 3rd or 4th represented a lot of value.

you don't go from 4-12 to the super bowl in one giant leap, you take it one step at a time. this step moves the team forward and that ain't bad.

Archived