Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Yearbook Help

MissU28

I'm the adviser for my school's yearbook, and I need to submit the book in its entirety in a few days. Most of it is done, but I need your help in coming up with song titles.

The theme of the book is More Than Words Can Say, which basically means music. Each page has a headline, a song title, then a byline.

For example, the yearbook staff page is entitled:

Yearbook Staff

"Paparazzi"

by Lady Gaga

SO.... there are a few sports/clubs that do not have a song attached to them yet. Here's where YOU come in. Help me think of popular songs to use on the pages. Popular means....songs that middle school aged kids would know! No obscure Bob Dylan songs from 1967.

Here are the categories I need help with:

Football

Soccer

Gardening Club

Encuentros (a club for at-risk Hispanic boys)

AVID (kinda like a class that teaches kids how to take notes and prepares them for college)

Chess Club

Cross Country

Band

Also, if you can think of a good song to represent the 7th grade as a whole and the 6th grade as a whole, I need to think of those as well. For 8th grade I have "Do You Remember?" by Jay Sean.

Bonus points if you incorporate jerking songs into your suggestions. If you don't know what jerking is, youtube it. Very popular in San Diego.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga3iMoOXZKI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga3iMoOXZKI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Preferably hip-hop/pop/reggaeton/spanish songs. My school is about 95% Hispanic.

Okay....fire away. Thanks in advance!

Maybe "The Distance" by Cake for Cross Country? I think that's still a semi-popular song on most alternative/rock stations around the country, even though its from the 90s.

I'm guessing this is like Black Eyed Peas/Rihanna/Beyonce kind of material?

I can do that song....

and yeah, those artists are perfect.

I already did "Run This Town" for one of these running events they had earlier in the year.

Thanks, keep 'em coming!

Yeah, I have that as the song for one of their dances.
What about that Jamiroquai song from Napolean Dynamite? "Canned Heat" I think.

This is the kind of thing where I'm sure there are a lot of songs out there that would be really obvious picks, but I just can't think of them off the top of my head.

I have absolutely no idea about these categories though:

Gardening Club

Encuentros (a club for at-risk Hispanic boys)

AVID (kinda like a class that teaches kids how to take notes and prepares them for college)

Chess Club

Well for Encuentros and AVID I'm thinking of some sort of inspiring song or something about achieving your dreams.

Chess club....maybe something about making a move? Is there a song called Make your move?

Gardening....something about growing?

Gardening:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybjSSExktzI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybjSSExktzI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

lol (I did not listen to the whole thing)

Well for Encuentros and AVID I'm thinking of some sort of inspiring song or something about achieving your dreams.

Chess club....maybe something about making a move? Is there a song called Make your move?

There was a song by a band called Switchfoot a few years ago called "I Dare You To Move." I don't know how well that song would fit though.

I tried typing in "Garden" and "Growing" in iTunes to see what results came back, looking primarily for popular artists/songs. I got the Strawberry Shortcake soundtrack and "Secret Garden" by Bruce Springsteen, which while a catchy song, I don't think you're looking for that lol.

"Chess" and "Pawn" didn't come up with anything at all.

might want to try some ozomatali... here are the songs from embrace the chaos. youtube is blocked in china, so i can't preview these for you and grab the best of the bunch. sorry.

1. "Pá Lante" (Ozomatli) – 5:03

2. "1234" (José Espinoza, David Jolicoeur, Kelvin Mercer, Ozomatli) – 3:07

* featuring De La Soul

3. "Dos Cosas Ciertas" (Espinoza, Andy Mendoza, Ozomatli, Anthony Stout) – 3:28

* featuring Kanetic Source

4. "Vocal Artillery" (Espinoza, Medusa, Ozomatli, Stout, will.i.am)– 4:59

* featuring Medusa, will.i.am, and Kanetic Source

5. "Guerrillero" (Espinoza, David Hidalgo, Ozomatli, Louie Pérez, Bob Power) – 4:29

6. "Embrace the Chaos" (Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr., Espinoza, Ozomatli) – 4:18

* featuring Common

7. "Pensativo (Interlude)" (Asdru Sierra) – 2:33

8. "Tímido" (Espinoza, Mendoza, Ozomatli) – 5:18

9. "Lo Que Dice" (Espinoza, Ozomatli, Stout) – 3:20

10. "Mi Alma" (Espinoza, Mendoza, Ozomatli) – 5:09

11. "Sueños en Realidad" (Espinoza, Mendoza, Ozomatli) – 3:21

might want to try some ozomatali... here are the songs from embrace the chaos. youtube is blocked in china, so i can't preview these for you and grab the best of the bunch. sorry.

1. "Pá Lante" (Ozomatli) – 5:03

2. "1234" (José Espinoza, David Jolicoeur, Kelvin Mercer, Ozomatli) – 3:07

* featuring De La Soul

3. "Dos Cosas Ciertas" (Espinoza, Andy Mendoza, Ozomatli, Anthony Stout) – 3:28

* featuring Kanetic Source

4. "Vocal Artillery" (Espinoza, Medusa, Ozomatli, Stout, will.i.am)– 4:59

* featuring Medusa, will.i.am, and Kanetic Source

5. "Guerrillero" (Espinoza, David Hidalgo, Ozomatli, Louie Pérez, Bob Power) – 4:29

6. "Embrace the Chaos" (Lonnie Rashid Lynn, Jr., Espinoza, Ozomatli) – 4:18

* featuring Common

7. "Pensativo (Interlude)" (Asdru Sierra) – 2:33

8. "Tímido" (Espinoza, Mendoza, Ozomatli) – 5:18

9. "Lo Que Dice" (Espinoza, Ozomatli, Stout) – 3:20

10. "Mi Alma" (Espinoza, Mendoza, Ozomatli) – 5:09

11. "Sueños en Realidad" (Espinoza, Mendoza, Ozomatli) – 3:21

My coworker LOVES her some Ozomatli....I've never listened

There was a song by a band called Switchfoot a few years ago called "I Dare You To Move." I don't know how well that song would fit though.

I tried typing in "Garden" and "Growing" in iTunes to see what results came back, looking primarily for popular artists/songs. I got the Strawberry Shortcake soundtrack and "Secret Garden" by Bruce Springsteen, which while a catchy song, I don't think you're looking for that lol.

"Chess" and "Pawn" didn't come up with anything at all.

haha thanks for your dedication! You're putting more effort into this than I am! Keep the ideas coming....I've started to look at top 50 popular songs lists to see if anything works.

Here are the categories I need help with:

Football

Soccer

Gardening Club

Encuentros (a club for at-risk Hispanic boys) You Found Me - Fray If I recall my spanish correctly - Encontrar is to find and Encentros translates to the found?

AVID (kinda like a class that teaches kids how to take notes and prepares them for college) According to you...Orianthi

Chess Club All the right moves - One Republic

Cross Country Liked Going the Distance by Cake...I run to you - Lady Antebellum.....Flock of Seagulls - Ran? Run It - Chris Brown

Band

Okay....fire away. Thanks in advance!

Oooh Run it by Chris Brown is a good one, I'll use that. I think the kids will know that as opposed to Cake..lol.

I'm going to use "All the Right Moves," too. Good one.

The AVID song you suggested doesn't really have an obvious title like I'm looking for.

Encuentros translates to "meetings".

Thanks GV!

Archived