Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mel Kiper adds a QB to his first round big board

Dr Drunkenstein

Do you give up your seat in this situation?  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Do you give up your seat in this situation?

• Yes
    • No

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=5043549&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fdraft10%2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d5043549

Over the past few weeks we've seen some new names added to the Big Board, but this week the biggest story is the addition of a player who was here back in August, saw his stock fade and has since regained status as a possible first-round pick in my eyes.

That would be Colt McCoy. The bottom line with McCoy is he's a player I began to question during the season because he simply didn't show off an impressive arm, and size became a question. Since the season, however, my evaluations of his arm strength and size have improved, and I'm more convinced now that his performance was far more a product of the system he was in, and the talent around him. It's not that he couldn't throw a deep ball, he simply wasn't given the chance. I still see him as a similar player to Jake Plummer -- not a star, but a very good player -- but he has a stronger arm. I also think that if the Redskins either can't trade up for Sam Bradford, and opt to pass on Jimmy Clausen, McCoy is a player that Mike Shanahan may set his sights on.

I think we can put the Colt McCoy arm strength concerns to bed.......

I really think this is going to be the most exciting draft in years. It supposed to be a very deep draft and with it spread out like it is I bet we see a lot of deals/moves made.

I am not against getting McCoy but think he is a major step back from the top 2.

I really think this is going to be the most exciting draft in years. It supposed to be a very deep draft and with it spread out like it is I bet we see a lot of deals/moves made.

I am not against getting McCoy but think he is a major step back from the top 2.

2 things:

#1 Bradford's injury should scare you about making that kind of financial commitment, it really should. Colt started 54 straight games.....including the last 2 seasons when he was also the primary part of the Longhorn running game.

#2 Colt won just about every big game he played in.....3 for 4 in bowl games, 1 for 2 in BCS game, 3 for 4 against his biggest rival (OU). Sam lost every bowl game he ever played in and went 1 for 3 in his starts against Texas. There won't be any Chattanoogas or Baylors in the NFL. Doesn't the fact that Sam couldn't beat the very best teams matter to you at all?

2 things:

#1 Bradford's injury should scare you about making that kind of financial commitment, it really should. Colt started 54 straight games.....including the last 2 seasons when he was also the primary part of the Longhorn running game.

#2 Colt won just about every big game he played in.....3 for 4 in bowl games, 1 for 2 in BCS game, 3 for 4 against his biggest rival (OU). Sam lost every bowl game he ever played in and went 1 for 3 in his starts against Texas. There won't be any Chattanoogas or Baylors in the NFL. Doesn't the fact that Sam couldn't beat the very best teams matter to you at all?

If the Dr. says Bradford is ok that's good enough for me and he is bigger than McCoy. Also I saw McCoy get hit against Bama so he is not made of stone.

IMO you have to go Bradford, Clausen, McCoy or Tebow.

99.9% sure McCoy isn't going in the 1st Round.

And the only piece of evidence Mel Kiper uses to support McCoy in the 1st round is his own personal opinion. Good for you Kiper, but you aren't a GM, so we can't really take this as any real fact. All the actual scouts and GMs seem to agree that McCoy is a 2nd or 3rd round talent.

Colt McCoy will definitely last the 1st round.

I'm always worried about guys whose draft stock falls when they're playing football, and then it rises again after they're done playing football.

Considering we're drafting them to play football, not work out in a gym.

That said, I like McCoy -- he does look small to me, but results are all that matters.

Winning and losing is a team stat not a QB stat. Sure the QB is a significant factor but he can't win - or lose - on his own.

I don't totally discount record in looking at a QB coming out of College but you have to look behind the stats.

99.9% sure McCoy isn't going in the 1st Round.

And the only piece of evidence Mel Kiper uses to support McCoy in the 1st round is his own personal opinion. Good for you Kiper, but you aren't a GM, so we can't really take this as any real fact. All the actual scouts and GMs seem to agree that McCoy is a 2nd or 3rd round talent.

Colt McCoy will definitely last the 1st round.

I think you are right but it only takes one GM to feel differently to pull the trigger.

I'd be perfectly happy with McCoy. That's one of the reasons I'm not jumping up and down to trade all our picks to move up, I think if we move down we can get several people who could be great. The only negative I've heard is his size and that he didn't play in a pro-style offense, but the only QB in this draft that did is Clausen, and like someone else said, he's not Santana Moss short. I think he'll be fine.

I'd be very very happy with trading back (if possible) and getting another 2nd or first, and getting an OT, QB, AND maybe a DT or a homerun hitter at RB or a great safety or whatever. It just gives us so many options. I really don't see a downside for us in this draft.

Winning and losing is a team stat not a QB stat. Sure the QB is a significant factor but he can't win - or lose - on his own.

Here are the video highlights of Texas vs OU from 2008 when Sam & Colt finished 1 & 2 for the Heisman. OU definitely had the more talented team. Both QBs look great for most of the game......but with his team up late, Sam goes in the tank. Colt makes HUGE plays to rally his team for the victory. This wasn't an isolated incident. Sam always tanked late which is why OU lost just about every big game while he was there........and Colt always played his best when it mattered which is why Texas won just about every big game with Colt at QB:

http://videos.utexasclan.com/view.php?id=7061

Colt McCoy is a great fit for the west coast offense. He's mobile and extremely accurate. I don't think he's as polished as Clausen or the all around natural QB that Bradford is. Having said that, he doesn't have surgically repaired shoulder not is he coming from the same system that gave us the great prospect Brady Quinn.

The one thing to remember about Colt McCoy is that he is a Longhorn, and so is Kyle Shanahan.

I am not saying we would draft him because he is an alum, but Kyle would definitly all the ins and outs of the Longhorns system.

And as a plus I would have to believe that he will be able to get all the info he needs to make a qualified decision on Colt.

Personally I am devided on my wishes for QB.

I know we need to build the OL, we have no LT right now, and with Bradford going #1 to the Rams, I think we have to take a OT at #4.

That is unless we can trade down.

I guess I cant see just taking a qb for the sake of taking a qb. If Tebow, Mcoy, Lefevour, or any of the other second tier qbs are going to start pretty quickly in our system, I am almost inclined to wait till next year.

i want McCoy over Clausen and the fact he is better in big games then Bradford, i like that to. i would love for somebody wanting to trade up to get one of the stud DT and us getting McCoy late 1st round because im pretty sure hell go there now with a better work out then Bradford had, and get some good ZBS o linemen with our 2nd and maybe a 3rd we'll get with the trade...

The one thing to remember about Colt McCoy is that he is a Longhorn, and so is Kyle Shanahan...I guess I cant see just taking a qb for the sake of taking a qb. If Tebow, Mcoy, Lefevour, or any of the other second tier qbs are going to start pretty quickly in our system, I am almost inclined to wait till next year.

The Longhorn connection cannot be underestimated.

Personally, I feel the QBs in this year's draft are better than next year's projected QB draftees. I am openminded to Bradford, Clausen, McCoy, et al. but prefer if we focus more on OL. Shanny & Co. will find a way to get who he wants...He'll make boys into men and men into alpha males.

And the only piece of evidence Mel Kiper uses to support McCoy in the 1st round is his own personal opinion.

I want McCoy to be available in the 2nd round and i think he'll be there, but there was this last week:

http://twitter.com/mortreport

Quote:

Hearing Browns interest in Colt McCoy is real - either w 2nd round pick or package picks to move into bottom of 1st rd. Don't rule it out.

Archived