Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS:Wonder where Clausen will go in draft? Redskins hold answer

Chump Bailey

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13132192/wonder-where-clausen-will-go-in-draft-redskins-hold-answer

For those who wonder where Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy Clausen goes in this year's draft, I have one word for you: Washington. I don't mean that the Redskins choose him, though they could. I mean that the Redskins hold the key to where he goes.

Let's be honest here: I think we all agree the first three picks should be Sam Bradford, Ndamukong Suh and Gerald McCoy, though not necessarily in that order. Bradford almost certainly goes to St. Louis at No. 1, with Suh and McCoy left for Detroit and Tampa Bay.

That takes us to the Redskins at the fourth spot, and let the intrigue begin.

Washington is the first possible landing for Clausen, but the Redskins need more than another quarterback; they need an offensive tackle -- and maybe two. With Oklahoma State's Russell Okung likely to be there, he makes sense for a club that just lost Chris Samuels. But so does Clausen if you believe new coach Mike Shanahan isn't sold on Jason Campbell as his quarterback, and I don't believe he is.

Please visit above link to continue...

Ok, if we don't select Clausen, most think that Buffalo will take him at pick #9. Improbable as it may seem, what happens if Buffalo passes? How far does Clausen fall? To the Jags? Minnesota? The 2nd round? I don't see any other team that would use a first round pick for a QB. It's a very long shot, but we could land Clausen in the 2nd round. Just a thought.

I believe we need a QB too, but the drop between Bradford and Claussen is to big to take Claussen at 4. Take Okung if he's there. (assuming Bradford goes #1). Otherwise, trade back a few and take the best OT available. And take another lineman at #37 because there isn't another QB available at that point who is an upgrade over Campbell this year.

Ok, if we don't select Clausen, most think that Buffalo will take him at pick #9. Improbable as it may seem, what happens if Buffalo passes? How far does Clausen fall? To the Jags? Minnesota? The 2nd round? I don't see any other team that would use a first round pick for a QB. It's a very long shot, but we could land Clausen in the 2nd round. Just a thought.

I think JC is history but I don't believe Clausen is a first round pick. If the Redskins don't get Bradford at #4 (they may also trade up), the Rams need a lot of help. I believe Mike will pick Russell Okung at #4 and then hope that Tim Tebow is still on the board at #37.

I would not be happy with Clausen at all . If Shanahan is not sold on Campbell he has had plenty of option to offload him at bargin basement prices and given our recent roster purge then there is no obvious loyalty to anyone .

I think he has not worked enough with Campbell to be sold on him .

I think Shanahan wants everyone to earn their position and wants a QB to groom to be an eventual starter . Clausen has to start right away (his ego would not take being no.3 - check Brady Quinn) . Taking a QB in the 1st says this guy is my guy and will start . That is not an open competition . A 2nd or later round guy sends a different message .

I think right now we are in a win win situation . IF Spagnola values his position with the rams he is not going to commit them to 3 years of rebuilding with Bradford (who may not be able to start in year 1) and he will build to his strengths and add a once in a generation like talent in Suh or McCoy and then try and trade for a Vet (watch the McNabb situation if nothing is resolved by the draft) ...where he will try and regain some respectability wining with the DL .

In that situation the Lions would probably be locked into Okung and the Bucs the other DT and I also think they would take a lot to trade out of those positions because they would be getting players they really want . The only fly in the ointment is if someone trades up to No.3. with the Bucs especially if the Lions take the other DT . Then the Bills might try and jump ahead of us for Bradford . Otherwise he slips to us at 4 .

IF the rams decide to either trade down or take Bradford themselves then the Lions and Bucs most likley take Suh and McCoy and we end up with Okung ... in the worst case scenario we might end up having McCoy or in fact Suh (given McCoy seems to be the best fit for the bucs) dropping to us and then we would have to make a decision weather to take Suh or try and trade down (Denver - Marshell) OR reach for the next best player at the position of need .

im happy with either QB only as long as he is picked b/c the organization is sold on him.

what i fear is that they will be so hellbent on a QB that they use the #4 on the highest rated guy available.

if youre in love with Bradford or Clausen and one of them is there, then grab him. if you are only in love with the general idea of a first round QB, pray that Okung is still on the board.

...hope that Tim Tebow is still on the board at #37.

If I had money to bet right now, I would put it all on Tebow still being there at #37, and probably beyond. I can't fathom any reason any team would take him before the 37th pick overall. I would rather have Colt McCoy in the 2nd round or LeFevour personally...there's already a roster full of project QB's residing in D.C., I can't see a reason to add another.

Considering the Skins haven't had a Franchise QB in decades, I don't want to see any more project QB's showing up and wasting everybody's time because they could never develop...like the guy's who are drafted to be Franchise QB's. The odds of finding another Tom Brady anytime soon are slim to none.

Gil Brandt said last night on Sirius NFL Radio that he asked the Rams GM after Bradford's pro day if they would consider trading the pick now since Bradford had such a strong showing...Brandt used the Skins as an example...The Rams response "They [Washington] don't have enough fire power.". In other words it would take a dumptruck load of players and or picks now and future to trade up to the number 1 spot. With so many other needs I can't see us trading up. There is a fine line between Pride and Stupidity...Yeah Shanny might really want Bradford but if he bets the farm and misses we are screwed.

Clausen is our guy. He will be a star and i can't wait to get him. We need a franchise QB and if Shanahan thinks he ha found one it trumps all other needs. I like Jason, but the more I think about it the less I think Shanahan will like Jason.

I like Jason. I think he is an above average QB. I think he played very good last year under a terrible situation. The problem is, his biggest weaknesses are accuracy and reading defenses and going through progressions. That is a huge part of being a successfull QB. Even under shanahan, u must be able to throw on the run accurately. Jason overthrows wide open guys. IMO I think Clausen is a huge upgrade right now and long term.

I'm not saying Clausen would beat Jason out in training camp, but I think he could take his job fairly quickly. I watched Clausen a lot and he is Pro Ready. He does things on the field, Jason just learned how to do. Clausen can read defenses and go through progressions. Plus he is very accurate.

To me the choice is simple. This is a QB driven league. I think Clausen will be great so I say we should and will take him.

Bradford is a for sure a Franchise QB... the Skins should pray that he falls to them or maybe make a deal with the Rams to get him. The skins need Tackles, yes but 17 years (minus one or two) of poor QB play should show you something.

This is the biggest fallacy going on right now. Bradford has a lot of potential to be a franchise QB, but to say "sure" is misleading.

We can kiss Bradford goodbye. The pro day was the nail in the coffin. Now we can't overreact and reach on Clausen if we are not truly as high on him as Bradford.

Bradford really impressed me also. He looks wayyyy bigger then he did when he was playing. IHis arm actually looked stronger than it did in 2008. I think Bradford and Clausen are both possible franchise QBs. I would be estatic with either.

This is the biggest fallacy going on right now. Bradford has a lot of potential to be a franchise QB, but to say "sure" is misleading.

Absoulutely. I can honestly say If shanahan gets Bradford I would be stunned if he's not a pro bowl caliber QB. That's is how much I think of Shanahan and Bradford's ability.

With that said. Who knows how he will fair in St.Louis. I don't even know aho their OC is or what system they run. While he might be good there. I really think he will be great here under Shanahan.

He seems pretty confident that Okung won't go to Detroit with that statement. If the draft does go down like that, I don't think there will be much intrigue: We'll take Okung. I'm doubting that the Redskins will feel so highly about Clausen that they feel that they can pass on nailing down the LT position, something we don't remotely have the answer to right now.

Bradford really impressed me also. He looks wayyyy bigger then he did when he was playing. IHis arm actually looked stronger than it did in 2008. I think Bradford and Clausen are both possible franchise QBs. I would be estatic with either.

That's the key to the entire issue for me. What do Mike, Kyle, and Matt feel about Clausen. At this point I don't know for sure. Hopefully we have a better idea once he has his private workout. If they have them ranked closely on draft day, I feel like we will go quarterback at 4 and not have to worry what other teams ahead of us do.

He seems pretty confident that Okung won't go to Detroit with that statement. If the draft does go down like that, I don't think there will be much intrigue: We'll take Okung. I'm doubting that the Redskins will feel so highly about Clausen that they feel that they can pass on nailing down the LT position, something we don't remotely have the answer to right now.

Hopefully nailing down the LT position. Clausen/Bradford aren't sure things, but neither is Okung.

Not that you implied this, but some seem to think Okung being a replacement of the quality of Samuels is a given. I've seen Williams ahead on some recent boards for example, so it's not like there aren't question marks for him either.

I'm warming up to us selecting Clausen at 4. With Young Kyle coaching him and Daddy Shanny's discipline he will be successful in our system, when he takes over the starting spot from JC/Rex.

It will be between him and Colt for the future starting spot, JC/Rex will keep the seat warm but one of them will establish themselves as the true starter.

Archived