Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Seen But Not Heard?

Zguy28

I learned that lesson pretty well myself growing up.

But looking back, I think a lot of those situations were created by poor parenting. In other words- what were the events that led up to you openly disrespecting your father's authority?

And not to get all religious- but do you think Jesus' disciples didn't respect him?

(and I'm not one of those blame my parents people, far from it.)

My personality, one that showed itself early in life, is one to challenge authority. I don't have a problem with authority but I will test it. If it proves to be a strong figure I'll respect it and have no problem operating within the rule book. I hate to say it but I would have tested Jesus if I had been there at the time and I have no doubt that he would have put my sorry ass in my proper place in short order. lol

Point is not every kid can be talked to and reasoned with. My parents tried everything. They took my TV, phone, and video games away for month. I became an avid reader. They took my mind candy books away and I became interested in history. They grounded me and I responded by training the squirrels in the backyard to be hand fed (mistake because the cat ate them shortly after I tamed them). They gave me more work to do around the house and I learned to enjoy cooking (something I still enjoy). I adapt quickly and continue down a path of my own choosing. Nothing however stopped me from challenging authority... until I left a shoulder and hip imprint in the wall. I left well enough alone after that. haha

well, I think there is a difference between dodgeball and spanking.

But yes- I wonder how we are possibly going to fight a war in the year 2050.

"hey- they're shooting at us! that's not fair!" :doh:

Don't be silly, there will be world peace by 2050...

Or the earth will have self destructed...

I think the difference is technology. The fact of the matter is most teens are better with new technology than their parents so they are superior in that manner and that leads to other issues and a general feeling of superiority.

I don't think really prior to 1980 that was probably ever much of an issue.

But looking back, I think a lot of those situations were created by poor parenting. In other words- what were the events that led up to you openly disrespecting your father's authority?

And not to get all religious- but do you think Jesus' disciples didn't respect him?

Actually Jesus trashed an entire church when he discovered they were no longer obeying the laws of God. Complete with beating down a few money changers!

Now back to your regularly scheduled religion free thread.........

Actually Jesus trashed an entire church when he discovered they were no longer obeying the laws of God. Complete with beating down a few money changers!

Now back to your regularly scheduled religion free thread.........

This is useless and entirely not believable without pictures. :cool:

I got spanked once and I think it established my father's role pretty darn well. He never had to hit me after that - thought I would have preferred it on some occasions because his lectures were worse than getting hit at times.

Anyway, I think it's ok if the possibility of it is out there. Kind of like a nuclear deterrant. But I agree that having to resort to it usually means a massive failure somewhere along the line.

I think the difference is technology. The fact of the matter is most teens are better with new technology than their parents so they are superior in that manner and that leads to other issues and a general feeling of superiority.

I don't think really prior to 1980 that was probably ever much of an issue.

You apparently never saw my grandfather try to correct the horizontal hold on his tv with his shoe. (Does anyone even know what horizontal hold is anymore?)

This is a weak argument. There has always been new technology and young people have always been more adept with it.

Well -Has anyone seen a issue at all with the counter messages we teach our kids?

I myself sometimes have a tough time looking my kids in the eye and say "don't talk to strangers" and "There are some bad people out there" and the worse one, that you still have to talk about "Even people in positions of authority should not touch you if you feel uncomfortable" and then at the SAME time, have to then look at them and say "But give Adults respect, always do what your teacher asks, and do what someone in authority says.

Now - I know these messages are no contradictory...to a adult. But to a 7, 8, 9 year old - the message is a hard one to be able to figure out.

the message I have tried to given my kids - (9 and 6 now) have been to be respectful of adults, show good manners, and expect that they treat you the same way.

it seems to work (Was happy at spring training Ian Desmond stopped signing autographs for a second to tell me that my kids were "Very polite kids".

Archived