Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

soonersports.com: BRADFORD SHINES IN WORKOUT

TK

Still I don't think it affects the teams picking in front of Cleveland much, because if they are set on Clausen they aren't going to change their minds based on comments made by another GM regardless of how genuine they feel the comments are.

I never said that Holmgren would affect their opinions.

Considering that two of the teams right in front of them are Seattle and KC which have Pete Carroll, who started recruiting Clausen at age 13 and Charlie Weis being Clausen's college coach, respectively. No, Holmgren has no effect on them.

I'm saying that it might induce teams to try and secure the player they want which might in turn drop a player to Browns. This stuff happens all the time.

Then we'll just agree to disagree on Bradford. Both Eli and Rivers were Seniors who had far more starting experience against better defenses than Bradford. Eli ran a pro style offense. Rivers ran more of a spread, but he also got to sit for a couple years before he was thrown in there.

I don't think the fact that he can throw the ball suddenly means that his shoulder isn't a concern. He didn't get injured by throwing the ball. He got injured when he was tackled by a linebacker.

As far as Smith goes, scouts raved about his workout. Said it was amazing, yadda yadda. The 49ers got caught up in upside and how the guy looked throwing in shorts to a wide open guy in pre-defined routes. They let that blind them to the possibility that he wasn't experienced enough and ran out of a spread system in college, didn't see much pressure there, and might be a huge bust because of it.

Yep Smith did get a ton of hype because of that pro day. Before it Aaron Rodgers was considered the QB that was going to go number 1 overall to the 49ers instead of Smith.

You are right that people shouldn't be too excited about this workout, but him showing up looking great physically (he looked even bigger then he did at the combine), with what looked like a stronger arm and unchanged mechanics... that can only be a good thing.

And Bradford was already considered to go number 1 overall and easily considered the best QB before this workout. Except for all the extra trades it's not like this hype is moving him up draft boards at all, he was already there. This hype will be meaningless as to whether he fails or succeeds in the NFL

I understand your injury concerns, but I think that's part of the risk. New Orleans took the risk on Brees and we see how well that's worked out for them.

And as a quick note to support your point, both Brees and Bradford used the exact same doctor to repair/heal/rehab their shoulders. Dr. Andrews is the best in the bussiness.

Sad part is, if the Rams draft Bradford, I don't think they have the offensive gurus that we have, who will get the maximum out of him. I mean, who the heck is their offensive coordinator?

I hope people realize that if he is only mediocre with the Rams it might not all be his fault. Their offensive coaching staff may not have the teaching ability that Shanahan has. I mean, look at Cutler without him!

You and I see eye to eye and I totally agree with you. As a fan of Bradford and The Sooners, I want to see him have the best career possible. I don't see that happening in St. Louis with their franchise in flux and turmoil like it is. And like you said, who is even their offensive coordinator? At least with the Redskins you have some of the best offensive minds and coaches in the Shannahans, along with alot more weapons to spread the ball around to. I'm also sure the Shannahans will do wonders with that offensive line regardless if there isn't a big well known name around. They always do. Look at Denver's O-line over the past 10 years. Plus look at what Kyle Shannahan did for the Texans O-line who was one of the worst in the NFL for several years before he ever got there. Just ask David Carr about that.

And as a quick note to support your point, both Brees and Bradford used the exact same doctor to repair/heal/rehab their shoulders. Dr. Andrews is the best in the bussiness.

To counter, Drew Brees was a successful and established NFL quarterback. Brees' success in the league has less to do about his shoulder and more to do with him being one of the best NFL quarterbacks in the game today.

Why are some people comparing Bradford to Brees?

http://www.nfl.com/players/drewbrees/profile?id=BRE229498

Chad Pennington has had his shoulder under Dr. Andrews' knife, let's get him instead. :doh:

Pennington, who now has enough information about the injury, has elected to undergo a third surgery to his right shoulder to repair a torn capsule, sources said.

When he travels Friday to Birmingham, Ala., Dr. James Andrews will perform the procedure.

Andrews has performed each of the other two surgeries on Pennington's shoulder in 2004 and 2005. The capsule is a sheet of tough fibers and fluid that surround the shoulder joint and hold the joint in place.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/09/29/1258289/miami-dolphins-chad-pennington.html#ixzz0jjWb3vqf

I'm also sure the Shannahans will do wonders with that offensive line regardless if there isn't a big well known name around. They always do. Look at Denver's O-line over the past 10 years. Plus look at what Kyle Shannahan did for the Texans O-line who was one of the worst in the NFL for several years before he ever got there. Just ask David Carr about that.

When did the Shanahans turn into o-line coaching wizards?

Kyle went to the Texans in 06, as the WR coach. Then in 07, he was the QB coach. In 08 he finally took over as the OC.

In that time, the Texans drafted Eric Winston in the 3rd round in 06, traded for Chris Myers from the Broncos in 07, and drafted Duane Brown in the 1st round in 2008. So that's how they ended up with their bookend OTs and their starting center.

And they hired Alex Gibbs in 08 to fully implement the Denver ZBS.

Getting Schaub to replace Carr helped as well, since Carr held the ball forever in the pocket and caused a few of his own sacks.

The Shanahans can't turn crap into something special.

We're going to need to draft some o-linemen, the way Mike and Kyle did in Denver. And they're going to have to do a lot of work, combined with Bobby Turner, to try and get a successful o-line scheme running.

But I wouldn't expect anything significantly better than our o-line from last year until we get new guys out there.

Just to clarify, I don't think Bradford is better than that 2004 class - I just think he's on that level, and clearly better than any of the QBs from 2005 through now. In any event, I think he's a true franchise QB because of his ability, not because of his likelihood of being drafted high in the first round.

I understand your injury concerns, but I think that's part of the risk. New Orleans took the risk on Brees and we see how well that's worked out for them.

I also understand your concern about the system. But to be fair, he performed about as well as he could in that system and handled what I would think to be a fair number of pro concepts, unlike the spread Tebow operated in.

There are a couple of problems with the Brees comparison. First of all, Brees was already a 2 time Pro Bowl NFL QB when the Saints picked him up. Bradford has never taken a snap in the NFL. Secondly, the Saints didn't give up the farm in terms of picks for Brees. In fact, they gave up precisely zero. If Brees hadn't worked out it would have sucked as far as the eventual cap hit but they wouldn't have been down two 1st rounders and probably more.

You're right that it wasn't as gimmicky as the system Tebow ran, but it was still a spread system with a lot of shotgun and without him having to do much as far as reading defenses at the LOS. Some of this had to do with some of the horrible pass defenses in the Big 12. He also had outstanding protection his two years starting. Many times he practically had all day to throw. That is something he definitely isn't going to have in the NFL.

To counter, Drew Brees was a successful and established NFL quarterback. Brees' success in the league has less to do about his shoulder and more to do with him being one of the best NFL quarterbacks in the game today.

Why are some people comparing Bradford to Brees?

http://www.nfl.com/players/drewbrees/profile?id=BRE229498

The only reason people bring up Brees is due to the injury and how Brees had the same injury, with no long lasting side effects. I don't know why other people then turn it into a comparison about performance. People need to be able to see the point and stick to it.

Brees wouldn't have been able to be one of the best if the shoulder was some huge issue. If you thought Bradford was a top notch prospect, the shoulder shouldn't change that opinion. That Brees was able to go on and have a great career after the injury should put teams at a little more ease when selecting Bradford.

Archived