Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RI: Bradford schedules workout with Skins

Rypien1191

Interested to see how he does.

He'd have to blow in the next month to not go #1.

Agreed but he would really have to mess up big time to fall out of favor with the Rams....question is if he really did bomb at his pro day or private workout why on earth would we still want him at 4?

But then again his arm would have to look like Chad Pennington's in these workouts or he flat cancels them for STL not to take him at 1.

ONE MORE THING....

He did VERY much drop back from under center in 2008, there was a ton of play action, 3 & 5 step dropbacks from that year.....He threw from the Gun as well...no doubt...

but as I said before.....that Offense, was THE MOST PROLIFIC and highest scoring offense EVER to step on a college football field....again I say.....EVER.

1 QB > 4,000 yds passing

2 RB > 1,000 yds rushing

2 WR > 1,000 yds recieving

^

prior to 2008......THIS HAS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE.....E V E R

OK what did he do in 2009???...because this upcoming draft is the 2010 edition...now IF we were talking last years draft..you may have had a point.

just throwing this out there...some of these players who are top draft picks like Bradford...choose as well...Rams could want him...but whos to say he wants the Rams? I often dont like hearing that (think these guys should be more pro like and go with the team that picks them due to the big money they will make) but if it happens in this scenario...and he would prefer to be a Skin over a Ram...I would be all for it :)

We have to get this KID..even it means that we need to trade up to get him!!He will be the best QB to come out since peyton..

And what would you be willing to give up, to trade up ?

We only have 5 draft picks. You want to give up at least 2, and maybe a player to move up and draft a QB ?

Especially one that has only played two year in college, in a spread formation, and has had his throwing shoulder injured twice.

Sorry, but I cant see that he is that much of a reward for the cost.

If he drops to #4, and the Shanahans like him, then thats cool.

The only decent senario I could see for trading up is if we give up our 1st, and trade them Jason. But I doubt the Rams will want to go that route.

WE have to remember, we dont have to draft a qb, as great as it would be, we are not in dire need as some here like to think.

just throwing this out there...some of these players who are top draft picks like Bradford...choose as well...Rams could want him...but whos to say he wants the Rams? I often dont like hearing that (think these guys should be more pro like and go with the team that picks them due to the big money they will make) but if it happens in this scenario...and he would prefer to be a Skin over a Ram...I would be all for it :)

I dont know if he has that much say, I guess he could threaten a hold out, but being drafted number one has alot of prestige, not to mention a huge payday.

And what would you be willing to give up, to trade up ?

We only have 5 draft picks. You want to give up at least 2, and maybe a player to move up and draft a QB ?

Especially one that has only played two year in college, in a spread formation, and has had his throwing shoulder injured twice.

Sorry, but I cant see that he is that much of a reward for the cost.

If he drops to #4, and the Shanahans like him, then thats cool.

The only decent senario I could see for trading up is if we give up our 1st, and trade them Jason. But I doubt the Rams will want to go that route.

WE have to remember, we dont have to draft a qb, as great as it would be, we are not in dire need as some here like to think.

I dont know if he has that much say, I guess he could threaten a hold out, but being drafted number one has alot of prestige, not to mention a huge payday.

yes...threaten to hold out...thanks for clarifying...but Bradford seems like the type who would not go that route ...has more class imo from what I have seen

Ok Im calling it. :)

Monster trade Thurs. Apr 22.

Rams get Carter and our 1st this year and a high pick for 2011

Redskins get the 1st pick (which will be Bradford) and Carriker, will keep their 2nd and get a lineman.

I absolutely feel as though Sam Bradford will show that he's everything we think he is and more. And therefore, Shanahan will trade up to #1 for his guy. He's had a lot of success with QBs, but the last guy he had of this caliber was Elway. He traded up for Cutler so why wouldn't he go get Bradford if its his guy. So we will trade up, but I think that the suggested trade is not enough to move up to #1.

The #1 pick is worth 3000 and the #4 is worth 1800 according to the Trade Value Chart. That 1200 points wouldn't even be accounted for if we traded our 2nd this year and our 1st next year (1000-1100 range). But no one would give up two 1st rounders and a 2nd to move up and the Rams would be unreasonable to expect it. So that means we need to include players, but we would definitely have to include our 2nd this year or our 1st next year. Either way, lets assume that the pick we send is valued at 530 and we have approximately another 670 points to make up which is equivalent to a late 1st.

Looking at our current roster, there are a few different areas where we can probably offer upgrades to the Rams. They don't seem interested in Campbell and might take a Clausen if they move back to #4 so I wouldn't count JC. We don't have any RBs or OLs to offer upgrades. On offense all we can offer are WRs and TEs. On defense, we could offer help at DL, LB, and DB. Since we have to make up 670 points, we probably need to send a combination of vets and youngsters.

Andre Carter is the most obvious candidate to include. Looking at past deals for pass rushers, the reasonable value of AC is somewhere in the 3rd round range (Wimbley, Burgess deals). That's in the 200-250 point range and leaves us with about 400-450 to make up. For the other DEs, Jarmon is the only other guy to consider, but he's coming off injury. As far as DTs go, we could shop Golston and Montgomery, but with the 3-4 we need more wide bodies than before so their value to us is probably greater than their trade values. Especially Monty, he has no trade value, but is intriguing as a young healthy DT with great physical ability that weighs about 330 and might be a gem in the rotation at NT.

I would probably count out Cooley because elite TEs have been valued around 2nd round picks and that would put us beyond our needed points (unless the trade stops with Carter, Cooley and #37). Fred Davis doesn't make sense because he might end up better than Cooley.

That leaves WR, LB, and DB. For WR, we have a surplus of interesting candidates. Marko and Malcolm (injury) don't have much trade value. Moss and Devin would be the guys. I don't see us moving Devin because of his potential and I don't see the Rams taking a chance on a guy that has proven nothing. They have 3 of those types in Avery, Burton, and Gibson. Santana doesn't fit into our longterm plans and might have more value as a lead guy for the Rams. Combine him with Avery on that turf and the Rams can put some points on the board. Anquan Boldin and Braylon got traded for 3rd rounders plus more. So with Santana being a notch below those guys (Anquan's value is low because of injuries) with Pro Bowl seasons, I see Moss at a mid-3rd value. He might be interesting to send because now, we'd only have about 200 points to make up to get to 3000.

As far as LB, Rocky is the only candidate. We might send him, but since we didn't land a FA to play ILB, we might keep him. So I don't think we'll be sending a LB. At DB, we can't really afford to move a CB. Carlos is a question mark, but because Tryon and Barnes haven't shown to be starting caliber yet, we can't afford to trade Los. As for safeties, we have a logjam at SS. Landry is the starter, but we have a couple of interesting pieces in Horton and Doughty. Considering that Atogwe is likely leaving, the Rams could use a smart, young, playmaker with plenty of starting experience. Doughty and Horton both fit that bill.

So here are some candidates that make sense (IMO): Moss, Cooley (maybe), Carter, Rocky, Horton, Doughty. Looking at that list, I think a reasonable package to move up to #1 with the Rams would be #4, #37, Moss, Carter, and choice between Horton and Doughty. They might even wait for the draft to play out to see if Clausen is gone at #4 and may take JC as part of the trade.

Rams come away happy because they can move to #4 where Suh, McCoy or Clausen will still be on the board. But likely they come out with the second QB in the draft at a much cheaper price, but also add another likely starter at #37, add a double-digit sack DE, a speedy Pro Bowl WR that should excel on their turf and mentor the young guys, and a starting SS. And all of these guys have excelled in the NFC East and should continue to play well in a weaker division. They turn 1 player into 5 starters.

The Skins get our QB. As far as the cost, we lose the #37 pick, but Carter, Moss, and Horton/Doughty are all spare parts that don't seem to fit the future plans of the organization. If we get Bradford, hopefully we can move JC to Buffalo or Cleveland for a 3rd. But we can address the offensive line with mid-round picks. I know the "OL" crowd doesn't want to hear Levi Jones and Barry Sims, but that can hold us over for a year. We could send our 1st next year instead of #37 now, but instead of taking the leftovers in a tackle class that has a lot of question mark guys after Okung, we can wait for a strong draft at tackle next year (Carimi, Barksdale, Castonzo, Boling, Carpenter, Pinkston, Cannon, Solder).

P.S. That trade doesn't exactly add up to 3000 points, but its pretty close and a team will take less to move out of that #1 spot. This trade is similar to what the Jets gave for Sanchez (#17, #52, Elam, Ratliff, and Coleman) except our players are much better and our draft picks are much higher. Also, hopefully we can get Carriker as a throw in because he's been no where near as productive as the players we would send St. Louis.

As far as the Bradford/Stafford thing, we'll just have to disagree. People are wary of spread QBs nowadays and generally with pretty good reason. I think the Lions would still have taken Stafford because of the experience in a pro style offense as well as his skillset. Sanchez I think is a wash with Bradford. He had limited starts but he also played in a pro style offense, against top notch defenses, and looked very good.

I think that NFL talent evaluations continue to evolve and scouts aren't as scared about the spread. They have learned that you can't let the number entice you, but you have to look at the individual prospect. They have to determine if the prospect is a system product or a great player. More and more colleges are going to the spread and the NFL can't just narrow the scope of schools that it considers when drafting QBs. Its just like the tweeners on defense, don't disregard talent because you don't want to figure out how to utilize their strengths. Point is that NFL personnel people have already considered Bradford's play in the spread and determined his record setting success was a result of him and not the system. That's why he's a candidate to go #1.

Here's more insight from Schefter. He's talking about the Browns, but it shows what the Rams might look for. The Browns pick is worth 300 points less than ours which is the equivalent of a late 2nd that they would have to beat our package by. Also at #7, Suh, McCoy, and Clausen will likely be gone. Though it looks like the Rams might ask for our 1st next year instead of #37 this year. Might be a blessing in disguise because if Shanny can sneak into the playoffs, that pick could be in the 20s.

Another thought is that the Rams might trade down with us and then trade down again if they aren't sold on Clausen. They could drop down to #7 and might add a few picks this year and next year.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog?name=schefter_adam&id=5008932

Q: Mike Holmgren mentioned in his press conference on Monday that he really likes Sam Bradford. Is he letting teams know that he is interested in trading up? What would it take to get the Browns in the position to draft Bradford?

-- Greg (Marietta, Ohio)

A: Greg, don't get your hopes up for that to happen. The cost of going up is going to be prohibitive, and while Cleveland would love a chance to get Bradford, it's going to be awfully hard to pull it off. It would probably take next year's No. 1 pick as well as this year's No. 1 pick -- and maybe some other goodies -- to be able to trade up to get Bradford. But let's see if the Browns can even wind up visiting with Bradford in the days leading up to the draft to see what they think.

Please stay away from Sam Braford!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!! How many Big 12 quaterbacks are playing in the NFL right now? Read this article on Campbell. Keep Campbell and build the o-line!!!!!!! http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5005843

I read the KC Joyner article and as much as I respect him, he studies numbers more than film. He compared JC to McNabb, Eli and Favre. Anyone who has seen JC play should recognize he is not in that category. I'm not even going to go into detail because if you think he is in their category then you are delusional. JC is not bad, but he's also not very good. He's not good enough to consistently outperform quality QBs in the league and therefore, we will not consistently win in a NFL that is becoming more and more QB driven. Simply put, he's just not good enough.

All this Bradford hype reverts back to his 2008 production. In the opening game, with a NEW OLINE, Bradford seemed a little rattled & clueless. When they finally got pressure (on opening day, since in 2008 his OLINE was dominate) he gets injured. IMO the best QB is Clausen, and it's not just from looking at a stats perspective, but how he can COMEBACK and WIN games.

OU in 08 was just a dominate team, with bradford as the icing on the cake. When they played against an elite team like Florida in the National Championship, they looked pretty dull to me. Nothing like the BEST OFFENSE EVER IN NCAA HISTORY.

Yes Clausen W/L ratio is pretty bad, esp. against ranked teams, but all that is because of his D. I feel Bradford is a QB who is just used to being in the control seat, without ever having to look behind (cause they are always ahead), but Clausen has made crunch time plays to put his team in position to win a game with seconds to go.

Tebow is my wildcard pick. Has everything you want except for his throwing motion and footwork. Could he fix it permanently? Who knows.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't care who we draft, I just don't think its fair to enter the 2010 draft with QBs who showed what they had this season (Tebow,McCoy,Clausen), against a 2008 QB (Bradford)

2008 is the only thing that can counter his fragile season he had in 09.

All this Bradford hype reverts back to his 2008 production. In the opening game, with a NEW OLINE, Bradford seemed a little rattled & clueless. When they finally got pressure (on opening day, since in 2008 his OLINE was dominate) he gets injured. IMO the best QB is Clausen, and it's not just from looking at a stats perspective, but how he can COMEBACK and WIN games.

OU in 08 was just a dominate team, with bradford as the icing on the cake. When they played against an elite team like Florida in the National Championship, they looked pretty dull to me. Nothing like the BEST OFFENSE EVER IN NCAA HISTORY.

Yes Clausen W/L ratio is pretty bad, esp. against ranked teams, but all that is because of his D. I feel Bradford is a QB who is just used to being in the control seat, without ever having to look behind (cause they are always ahead), but Clausen has made crunch time plays to put his team in position to win a game with seconds to go.

Tebow is my wildcard pick. Has everything you want except for his throwing motion and footwork. Could he fix it permanently? Who knows.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't care who we draft, I just don't think its fair to enter the 2010 draft with QBs who showed what they had this season (Tebow,McCoy,Clausen), against a 2008 QB (Bradford)

I agree 100% with this, I try to stay out of this argument beacause its easy to see who I prefer by looking at my name and I don't want to appear infatuated like some posters are with Bradford......Jimmy Clausen is as tough as they come as a college QB, Notre Dames defense was about as bad as I have ever seen this year and Clausen took a beating because of it but he always came back and led the Irish back......he has a little bit of Brett Favre attitude and toughness (not to say he'll be the next Favre but if people can compare Bradford to Manning then I can make comparisons to Favre) even though he looks like a wimpy California kid (I hated him when he first came to the Irish).

I agree that Tate and Floyd have made Clausen look good at times but what great QB didn't have at least one great receiver if not two?......I have not watched Bradford nearly as much but the games I have watched his receivers always seemed to be wide open and he had a ton of time, the always looking to the sidelines after the defense is set for reads scares me as well and in the big games when he did come under some pressure he crumbled.. Clausen on the other hand makes some unbelievable throws in to very tight coverages which can result of course result in picks but more times than not results in completions and alot of big plays (hence the Favre comparison) and seemed to always be under pressure but moved surprisingly well and made plays whether the Irish were behind or ahead..

In my opinion Clausen will be a far better pro QB, I do worry about his floating long bomb throws and he occasionaly takes to long to deliver but I think he can benefit from good coaching and just seems to have the grit and toughness you need in a QB in the NFC East.......just my opinion though, I am biased of course

Well we get to see how Bradford's shoulder really is, IMO if the Rams pass on him that means his shoulder is pretty bad. I hope that he's 100% with no lingering effects or we could end up with a Tim Couch situation, meaning a good QB who rarely gets off the training table

Well we get to see how Bradford's shoulder really is, IMO if the Rams pass on him that means his shoulder is pretty bad. I hope that he's 100% with no lingering effects or we could end up with a Tim Couch situation, meaning a good QB who rarely gets off the training table

Hypothetically speaking. Someone earlier in this thread was saying what if Bradford, wanted to play for a certain team (via Eli Manning). DO you think he will show what he has with us, and blow during the Rams Private workout?

Hypothetically speaking. Someone earlier in this thread was saying what if Bradford, wanted to play for a certain team (via Eli Manning). DO you think he will show what he has with us, and blow during the Rams Private workout?

More like, not coming to terms with Rams on a contract the week before the draft. :evilg:

Ok Im calling it. :)

Monster trade Thurs. Apr 22.

Rams get Carter and our 1st this year and a high pick for 2011

Redskins get the 1st pick (which will be Bradford) and Carriker, will keep their 2nd and get a lineman.

That is totally logical to me. I might consider trying to get McCoy or even Lafever later in the 3rd round. My feeling is that whoever is drafted won't play this year anyway. So get a cheaper QB and work his ass in the next year or two. Get Okung with the 4th pick. Got to have a LT to start the next 10 years and that guy can bring it.:helmet:

Archived