Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Report: Darren Sproles will not receive a RFA tender

theboomking

With all the need for a change of pace back, I thought this might be worth a new thread. Per PFT, the San Diego Union Tribune is reporting that Sproles will not receive a tender as a RFA, and will either be signed to a long term deal, or hit the FA market. Looks like we may have our choice of Sproles or Bush, and I'd take Sproles in a heart beat.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/23/report-sproles-wont-be-back-on-one-year-deal/

I'd take Bush over sproles but thats just me.

I'd take neither. Both will demand contracts that they're not worthy of. Bush is more of a receiver than a RB, and he sucks at pass protection. Sproles is a great player as a return man and scatback, but he's not a 3 down back, and if some team wanted to make him a 3 down back, he would get broken in half before the end of the season due to to the hits he'd take. Let some other dumb team overpay for them

He would be a great complement to Portis. He would instantly improve our explosive element on offense and could do the same for our special teams. His tender would be about $7 million so I would imagine he might go for a multi-year deal for a couple mil less per year. Especially since I'm sure he understands that he's a change of pace back. In an uncapped year, he is fairly inexpensive considering he is the best option on the market to instantly improve a teams scoring ability. Let's sign him up.

I'd take neither. Both will demand contracts that they're not worthy of. Bush is more of a receiver than a RB, and he sucks at pass protection. Sproles is a great player as a return man and scatback, but he's not a 3 down back, and if some team wanted to make him a 3 down back, he would get broken in half before the end of the season due to to the hits he'd take. Let some other dumb team overpay for them

x infinity.

bush should be headed to philly to replace westbrook, thatd be the perfect fit for him.

as much as id like sproles, were in no position to take either of these guys. we need to take a season off from spending like idiots on big names and try to make some of our own big names through the draft and UDFA.

remember, vinny isnt here anymore people. hopefully the days of overspending on reggie bush, darren sproles, julius peppers, ladainian tomlinson, and brian westbrook are over.

remember, vinny isnt here anymore people. hopefully the days of overspending on reggie bush, darren sproles, julius peppers, ladainian tomlinson, and brian westbrook are over.

I never knew we ever "overpaid" for any of those guys. :whoknows:

Back to the subject, I don't see a reason to sign any RB in FA. We have coaches who have shown that they can get the most out of the running backs that they have. If anything, we should look to the draft for that.

I never knew we ever "overpaid" for any of those guys. :whoknows:

Back to the subject, I don't see a reason to sign any RB in FA. We have coaches who have shown that they can get the most out of the running backs that they have. If anything, we should look to the draft for that.

would albert haynesworth, adam archuleta, brandon lloyd, antwaan randle el, bruce smith, and dieon sanders made a better list for you to understand my point?

no more overpaying for names.

Sproles would actually fit a need so I have no problem with this. He would add the change of pace back we've all been looking for, would be a great 3rd down back that all teams would have to scheme for, and would instantly improve out special teams. He's also a big play guy and this offense is in dire need of that. He's not a featured back, but in today's NFL how many of them are out there. Give me a running back by committee approach any day of the week.

would albert haynesworth, adam archuleta, brandon lloyd, antwaan randle el, bruce smith, and dieon sanders made a better list for you to understand my point?

no more overpaying for names.

"Overpaying" is such a misused term on this board. It implies that we could have gotten a player for less, when we paid what we needed to get the player we wanted. I doubt many would say we overpaid for Haynesworth when many other teams were willing to pay a similar price.

As for your final statement, that is so 2000. That is really the only time you could say that. Since then, it has been about what the player brings to the team. It hasn't always worked out, but I don't expect the team to be any less aggressive just because there are new people in the FO. I just hope they are smart about who they are aggresive with.

"Overpaying" is such a misused term on this board. It implies that we could have gotten a player for less, when we paid what we needed to get the player we wanted. I doubt many would say we overpaid for Haynesworth when many other teams were willing to pay a similar price.

As for your final statement, that is so 2000. That is really the only time you could say that. Since then, it has been about what the player brings to the team. It hasn't always worked out, but I don't expect the team to be any less aggressive just because there are new people in the FO. I just hope they are smart about who they are aggresive with.

dude, we overpay all the time. i know youre incapable of calling this team out on being stupid, but get real.

we gave adam archuleta the highest saftey contract in NFL history. are you saying we didnt overpay?

we gave up two high draft picks and signed brandon lloyd to a big deal. are you saying we didnt overpay?

we signed a #3 receiver in ARE to a 30 million dollar contract. are you saying we didnt overpay?

we signed albert haynesworth who cant even finish a game to the highest defensive contract in NFL history. are you saying we didnt overpay?

again, i know saying anything negative about the redskins is next to impossible for you, but you cannot honestly tell me that we did not overpay in those 4 cases, that are the most recent. we can leave our bruce smith and deion, but those 4 are unacceptable, and good front offices do not make that many mistakes.

dude, we overpay all the time. i know youre incapable of calling this team out on being stupid, but get real.

we gave adam archuleta the highest saftey contract in NFL history. are you saying we didnt overpay?

we gave up two high draft picks and signed brandon lloyd to a big deal. are you saying we didnt overpay?

we signed a #3 receiver in ARE to a 30 million dollar contract. are you saying we didnt overpay?

we signed albert haynesworth who cant even finish a game to the highest defensive contract in NFL history. are you saying we didnt overpay?

again, i know saying anything negative about the redskins is next to impossible for you, but you cannot honestly tell me that we did not overpay in those 4 cases, that are the most recent. we can leave our bruce smith and deion, but those 4 are unacceptable, and good front offices do not make that many mistakes.

why do you as a fan care if we overpay? For years, we heard about the proverbial "cap hell" we were headed into over the last 10 years and did it ever happen? No, it didn't. Maybe our cap guys, accountants and lawyers need a raise because while you're dead on that we "overpay" time and time again it never haunted us.

And I don't see that happening to us further down the line either. so if we overpay for peppers, rolle, dansby, bush, sproles or whomever we get off that list of players does it really matter if we overpay?

Maybe in the future if Danny's pockets tighten then it's a better point but personally I could care less how much we pay a player. Bottom line is I want to win and I think using Free agency and maybe overpaying will make enough of a difference for us to get good once again.

Oh, I certainly can say negative things about the skins, but there are plenty of people saying those things. Mostly I'm around when people get things wrong.

As for the contracts, you know most of it ends up being funny money, right? Money that in the end the player isn't likely to see. People were worried about how to get rid of Arch, but it didn't end up being all that difficult to get rid of him. Most of the guys who were signed in 2006 were basically signed to 3 year contracts with the option to renew, which we did last year when we restructured ARE and Carter. Unfortunately, we did take a bit of a hit on Lloyd since we had to let him go earlier than that, but they weren't expecting him to bust so hard.

It is also the same with Haynesworth, who's contract is really more like a 4 year $48m contract, with a bunch of redonkulous money on the back end that he's not likely to see, either because he won't be here or they will restructure his deal. And again, everyone else who was seriously interested in Haynesworth was throwing around the same amount of money, so I don't know how you can say that we overpaid.

Archived