Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Schefter: Peppers would have interest in Skins (MET)

gorebd82

Have you or a pet ever been attacked by another dog? If so, what breed?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Have you or a pet ever been attacked by another dog? If so, what breed?

• Yes, i was bit by a dog.
    • Never
    • My pet was attacked by another dog.

Is he a free agent? It might be a decent way to unload Andre Carter if the overall cost isn't too bad.

Carter is not a 3-4 end. There is not cost to "unloading him". What we need to do is TRADE Andre Carter to Carolina for a 3rd round pick. Carolina replaces their double digit sacks which they lost in Peppers, and we replace our 3rd round pick which we dont have. Win/Win situation. Then we sign Peppers to line up with Haynesworth and Orakpo and we scare the hell out of every QB in the league.

If the year is uncapped and you don't think the cap is coming back, then do it. Absolutely do it. We're going to need our defense to bail out our offense more than once this year. With a front seven potentially consisting of Haynesworth, Montgomery, Jarmon/Griffin, Orakpo, Fletcher, McIntosh and Peppers, you've got potential for incredible disruption there.

Plus, do we really want him to go to another NFCE team and have to play against him twice a year? Especially if he ends up playing with Osi and Tuck or Cole and Howard?

total waste of money.

the last thing we need is to start the new improved redskins front office tenure with more pyscho priced free agents. i thought things were going to be different this time around hmm??

please dear god no.

I agree completely! We just added an older, super high priced dlineman last season. do we really need another 1?

I dont get it.

1. We were 4-12 last year, and we have a new D Coordinator. So why wouldnt we entertain Peppers?

2. Nobody will trade us a draft pick for Andre Carter.

3. There is no salary cap this year so who cares if we spend money?

The problem is that Julius Peppers is going to want a very big multi year deal. If we could pay him 15 mil for a one year contract I'm all for it and then if he proves his worth then resign him if the new salary cap allows it.

But that being said we don't need him. Our DL and LB's are very good and we have some depth there. We need to go after a free safety (Darren Sharper) and move Landry to strong safety because he is a liability at free. Also pick up a top notch cover corner on the other side to compliment Hall and some OL in free agency. Then draft another OL and QB at with the first two picks and that would take care of most of the teams needs.

This might be a stretch but I would say take that number four pick and trade it for a middle to late round 1 and a 2. Maybe we could pick up Jimmy Clausen in the middle of the 1st round and get an OL and a RB in the second round. I'm willing to give Portis one more year because he does have something to prove and will work harder because he knows Shanahan won't let him get away with his sh*t but even if he has a good year we need to start looking for the running back of the future.

thoughts?

We can pay him through the roof but if a cap comes back we can frontload the money, opposite from what has happened in the past. Bottom line Peppers still gets paid and there's no future cap ramification to us when/if the cap comes back.

Wrong.

I posted this in another thread:

Q. Do any player contract rules from capped years remain in place for the Final League Year?

A. Yes, some rules like the “30 percent increase rule” are still in effect in the Final League Year for player contracts signed in capped years. That rule restricts salary increases from 2009 to 2010. For example: a player with a $500,000 salary in 2009 would be limited to annual salary increases of $150,000 ($500,000 x 30 percent) beginning in 2010.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles...ear_101621.jsp

It seems like this pretty much prevents teams from paying massive base salaries to players in 2010 and structuring deals to have lower base salaries in future years (in the event the cap came back).

Wrong.

I posted this in another thread:

Q. Do any player contract rules from capped years remain in place for the Final League Year?

A. Yes, some rules like the “30 percent increase rule” are still in effect in the Final League Year for player contracts signed in capped years. That rule restricts salary increases from 2009 to 2010. For example: a player with a $500,000 salary in 2009 would be limited to annual salary increases of $150,000 ($500,000 x 30 percent) beginning in 2010.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles...ear_101621.jsp

It seems like this pretty much prevents teams from paying massive base salaries to players in 2010 and structuring deals to have lower base salaries in future years (in the event the cap came back).

Before you correct me you should get your facts straight...the link you reference takes us back to redskins fan page....for the real facts go to NFL Labor.com........

straight from the NFL front office: "teams can spend as much or as little as they want for unrestricted free agents."

The rules governing RFA signings are much more complex so you're facts in correcting me may be well intentioned but indeed wrong.

In summation, we could very much frontload a contract without having to worry about the ending years of a long term deal.

Before you correct me you should get your facts straight...the link you reference takes us back to redskins fan page....for the real facts go to NFL Labor.com.........

I'll check it out.

But note, its not a question of how much a team can spend in totality. The distinction the above rule was making was in regard to how much any single player can earn in 2010.

I'll have to see if NFL labor is stating the same..or not.

Before you correct me you should get your facts straight...the link you reference takes us back to redskins fan page....for the real facts go to NFL Labor.com........In summation, we could very much frontload a contract without having to worry about the ending years of a long term deal.

Well here it is from NFL labor.com. Look toward the bottom of the page:

•Q. Do any player contract rules from capped years remain in place for the Final League Year?

•A. Yes, some rules like the “30% increase rule” are still in effect in the Final League Year (2010 season) for player contracts signed in capped years. That rule restricts salary increases from 2009 to 2010. For example: a player with a $500,000 salary in 2009 would be limited to annual salary increases of $150,000 ($500,000 x 30%) beginning in 2010

http://nfllabor.com/category/faqs/

So there you go. Please explain to me how this doesn't prevent frontloading a contract. Sure seems like it does to me.....

we're comparing apples to oranges here....my point is not in terms of salary but signing bonus. You are correct in terms of salary change from 09 to 10, no debate there, the diffference comes in signing bonus and specifically in terms of no longer having to prorate a bonus.

The beauty of the uncapped year is that if a team wants to throw tons of upfront money, aka in form of signing bonus, they can.

The problem I see with this is that if Snyder throws around lots of money to land Free agents knowing that we may have a lockout in 2011 there's the distinct chance that our free agent signing may not be anything more than a one year rental.

So if we were to get Peppers, pay through the roof to land him, and in 2011 there's a lockout then in 2012 Peppers is now 32 going on 33 and his value may be significantly lower. So I like the idea of getting him now but wary of it come 2012 or beyond.

Peppers > Carter

No question about that, but would he be here? We already know what we have in Carter...

Here's an idea though... Everyone keeps saying, "Let's stop spending big money on free agents!"

Should we stop that permanently? Other teams do it. WE'RE just the one that gets criticized. If we pick up good players that aren't pieces of crap (Archuleta, Lloyd) then I'm OK with spending the money.

I agree that we can't be scared to sign FA's b/c of past transgressions, but I would like to see the money spent in other areas on other FA's...namely, Karlos Dansby, Antrelle Rolle, and Dunta Robinson...

My God, you should hear how Peppers is ripped here in Charlotte. Being a Skins fan in Charlotte is not out of the normal, but I get to hear first hand how bad everyone hates the man. Some games he just takes off, and last year with a 16 million dollar contract. I think I hear he made 1 tackle and made 1 million dollars for it! LOL!! His fire, and motivation is just not here! He plays NOT to get hurt. Athletic, absolutely. But I think he takes too many plays off (sounds like someone else too, but his is due to conditioning). He's not a leader, when someone has the potential to be "of that caliber" it is thrust upon him to be a leader, which he absolutely refuses to do. It wasn't until his MLB (Beason) called him out on the radio that he decided to play with any type of aggression.

Then again, doesn't everyone mention that the REDSKINS are in contention when it comes to FA due to the money Danny likes to spend? Therefore driving up the value of a playaaaaa!

I've heard the same thing...apparently his teammates had to have an intervention with him last year to get his head back into the game. He could go to a new team refreshed and with a new attitude, but can you count on that happening? I don't think so.

Not to take up for Peppers but he has been Franchised for the last few seasons and thus has been playing on 1yr contracts with no guaranteed money...So that means he gets hurt or has a career ending injury and he has no guarantee's about his future...This is the reason players don't like to be franchised even though they get a huge boost in salary they don't get any guaranteed money...

If we were to get Peppers do u guys think he would play OLB or DE in a 3-4

He could play LDE or OLB in a 3-4...which is a rare combo in an athlete...He's 6'7 290 but he is fast enough and athletic enough to cover, and also big enough to hold the point against the run...

we're comparing apples to oranges here....my point is not in terms of salary but signing bonus. You are correct in terms of salary change from 09 to 10, no debate there, the diffference comes in signing bonus and specifically in terms of no longer having to prorate a bonus.

The beauty of the uncapped year is that if a team wants to throw tons of upfront money, aka in form of signing bonus, they can.

The problem I see with this is that if Snyder throws around lots of money to land Free agents knowing that we may have a lockout in 2011 there's the distinct chance that our free agent signing may not be anything more than a one year rental.

So if we were to get Peppers, pay through the roof to land him, and in 2011 there's a lockout then in 2012 Peppers is now 32 going on 33 and his value may be significantly lower. So I like the idea of getting him now but wary of it come 2012 or beyond.

You have it pegged. I searched all over for some confirmation of this and the best I could find was a PFT blurb:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/21/30-percent-rule-still-looms-over-uncapped-year/?related=1

The 30 percent rule applies to the renegotiation of any contracts.

It means that the player's salary in 2010 can't be more than 30 percent greater than the player's salary in 2009. For players still operating under the minimum base salaries of a slotted rookie deal, that's a problem. A big problem.

But there's a loophole. NFL director of corporate communications Dan Masonson has confirmed for us that signing bonuses won't count toward the 30 percent rule. Still, it means that the bulk of a player's compensation would have to be funneled to him via a signing bonus, with limited base salaries in future years. While the player might be fine with that in 2010, the player might feel a lot differently in the out years of the deal.

Then there's the looming lockout. Why would a team want to front load a deal with a huge signing bonus in 2010 if there might be no football in 2011? Every player who receives such a deal is one less player who will have to face the prospect of living game check to game check with no game check.

So keep an eye on this angle as the uncapped year begins. Plenty of players under contract will want more money. It's unlikely that many will get it.

I know Peppers wants to play in a 3-4, but who is to say how that would go. If we were a better team, I would sign him, but he is 30 and we have no super bowl aspirations.

I'd love to see a 4-3 with Peppers, Haynesworth, Suh, Orakpo, Dansby, Fletcher, McIntosh, Landry, Rolle, Hall, Tryon, Barnes and Asomugha though. I don't care how many games we would win. I would watch with a bottle of lube. Good thing I'm not the GM.

I know Peppers wants to play in a 3-4, but who is to say how that would go. If we were a better team, I would sign him, but he is 30 and we have no super bowl aspirations.

Every single team in the NFL has Super Bowl aspirations. This isn't basketball or hockey- in this league, you can literally go from worst team one season, to having a shot to take it all the next.

If our offense just improved marginally and our defense maintained it's performance, we're a ten fold better team. If our offense can somehow work miracles and be Top 10, whilst our defense stays the same, we're talking division title. If Haslett turns our defense into a turnover machine, than you're talking conference championship.

Archived