Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Report: Top four teams have discussed trading down

Gibbsisgod2006

Just saw this on PFT looks like Bruce Allen is trying trade out of the 4th spot.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/23/report-top-four-teams-have-discussed-trading-down/

Report: Top four teams have discussed trading down

Posted by Mike Florio on February 23, 2010 1:22 PM ET

Amid rumors that the Rams have talked about trading out of the first overall pick and a report that the Lions have talked about sliding out the second spot. 2, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that each of the teams holding the top four picks -- the Rams, Lions, Buccaneers, and Redskins -- have had talks regarding the possibility of moving back.

The problem is finding someone who will be willing to trade up. With this year's talent pool believed to be as deep as ever, teams will be less willing to give up multiple picks than in the past. And with a rookie wage scale not yet implemented, the teams who pick in the top five or so this year will have the privilege of likely being the last to cough up gigantic contracts for unproven players.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/02/23/report-top-four-teams-have-discussed-trading-down/

Click link for more

Amid rumors that the Rams have talked about trading out of the first overall pick and a report that the Lions have talked about sliding out the second spot. 2, Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that each of the teams holding the top four picks -- the Rams, Lions, Buccaneers, and Redskins -- have had talks regarding the possibility of moving back.

The problem is finding someone who will be willing to trade up. With this year's talent pool believed to be as deep as ever, teams will be less willing to give up multiple picks than in the past. And with a rookie wage scale not yet implemented, the teams who pick in the top five or so this year will have the privilege of likely being the last to cough up gigantic contracts for unproven players.

Then there's the outdated chart that assigns a point value to draft picks. Last year, the Chiefs tried to trade the third overall pick to the Lions in exchange for the 20th overall pick and the first pick in round two. The proposed swap created a gap of 770 points based on the chart -- and the Lions still said no.

So unless one team decides that there's one guy who stands head, shoulders, and other body parts ahead of the other incoming rookies, the chances of a trade being accomplished are slim.

Maybe, in the end, we'll finally see a team intentionally pass.

All I can say is draft day shall be interesting.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that each of the teams holding the top four picks -- the Rams, Lions, Buccaneers, and Redskins -- have had talks regarding the possibility of moving back.

The problem is finding someone who will be willing to trade up.

Huh? lol...If the problem is finding someone willing to trade up, then have any of those teams REALLY had talks regarding trading down? I would imagine that 95% of the top 4 teams over the last few decades have either tried instigating or listened to trade-down scenarios. All sorts of talks go on in the weeks/months before the draft.

I would be stunned if we traded down. There will be a player that we want and need at 4 no matter whether it is a QB or O-lineman. Signing the number 1 overall pick is tough and very expensive. The Rams will have a tough time getting rid of it. The Bucs may be bit interested, but that's it.

I don't see anybody trading with us at 4. It's not high enough to get Suh and chances are Bradford or Clausen will fall. Plus, like the OP said nobody really wants to pay top 5 pick kind of money to these guys.

I could see the 49ers trading up to the 4th pick if they have the steamy's for one of the big name tackles since they have two first round picks.

I see trading back a much more likely possibility in the second round. Some stud is guaranteed to fall into the top of the second round with all of the juniors coming our early, and if its not someone we need...I can see us trading back into the early teens in the second round if our target OL prospect hasn't fallen that far (assuming we go QB, or even OL, in the first). Then we pick up the third rounder we're lacking or even a fourth or fifth.

Anything helps when you've got an aging team full of holes, only 5 picks, and you're not absolutely in love with someone at the #36 spot.

I see trading back a much more likely possibility in the second round. Some stud is guaranteed to fall into the top of the second round with all of the juniors coming our early, and if its not someone we need...I can see us trading back into the early teens in the second round if our target OL prospect hasn't fallen that far (assuming we go QB, or even OL, in the first). Then we pick up the third rounder we're lacking or even a fourth or fifth.

Anything helps when you've got an aging team full of holes, only 5 picks, and you're not absolutely in love with someone at the #36 spot.

This I can agree with, about moving down.

I would imagine that 95% of the top 4 teams over the last few decades have either tried instigating or listened to trade-down scenarios. All sorts of talks go on in the weeks/months before the draft.

I agree, I dont see the big deal.....especially at this point of the off season. Teams have to at least see what is available, even if they have a player that they are dead set on taking.

I could see the 49ers trading up to the 4th pick if they have the steamy's for one of the big name tackles since they have two first round picks.

By that same token, when you're a slowly improving and emerging 49ers team, I'd think they'd want to stay pat and take two difference makers with those picks, as one of the junior tackles could easily fall to their spot. Who knows, I guess.

Not that I wouldn't love to get those two first rounders in trade. But only if Shanahan and Allen are convinced that our franchise player either isn't there at 4, or will be there later in the round. Because I don't see us being in the top 5 again with the Shanahan's running the ship, and if you need a difference maker, and fall in love with a prospect, you have to pull the trigger at #4. But if they haven't...then by all means, acquire those extra picks!!

Yeah Yeah i know it would never happen and its a Madden scenerio... but could you imagine if the Skins thru Caution to the wind and got the Rams #1 pick to get Suh, and then kept the #4 pick and got Berry? What a freaking Defense!!!! However if we did end up with those picks.... either two Oline or Oline and QB would be the way to go. Too bad our team has been mismanaged for years.

I'm not sure who this could apply to, but a great scenario would be to trade down for a late first round pick AND a young, talented lineman. doubt a team would give up a franchise left tackle, but we could still get a very good OL, perhaps G or RT. I'm sure there are teams out there with enough depth at OL to pull this off. What do you guys think? also, what teams could this apply to?

I've been thinking about this exact scenario. Personally I would love to see us do that, especially if we draft OL in the first round. If we go QB in the first then I think we'll likely use that 2nd rounder on the best OL that is available. But if we go OL with the #4 pick then I think we may try to trade back in the 2nd while picking up an extra 2nd or maybe swapping 2nds and getting a 3rd, which will set us up greatly to grab another OL/RB and a QB like Lefevour or Skelton.

It looks like if we do trade down it won't be 100% based off of that "outdated" chart. We're likely to get considerably less than what would've been had just 4-5 years ago. I could see us easily trading down and only being able to pick up another early 2nd along with a 6th and a 7th (or maybe a 5th and a 6th)... taking us completely out of the 1st round. If we manage to get another team's 1st we'll probably only get a 6th rounder or worse with that.

Or I could just be completely talking out of my buttocks.

I've been thinking about this exact scenario. Personally I would love to see us do that, especially if we draft OL in the first round. If we go QB in the first then I think we'll likely use that 2nd rounder on the best OL that is available. But if we go OL with the #4 pick then I think we may try to trade back in the 2nd while picking up an extra 2nd or maybe swapping 2nds and getting a 3rd, which will set us up greatly to grab another OL/RB and a QB like Lefevour or Skelton.

I also think we'll use the second on the top LT available still. But luckily I see some players dropping that normally wouldn't because the top of the draft seems to be very top heavy with certain positions: S, CB, DE, DT, even OLB. So I see some juniors who normally wouldn't even have declared, dropping, leaving us with some studs to choose from, hopefully. As I said in another thread, I'm hoping we trade some of the fat on our team that Shanahan/Allen don't think we need, or that don't fit into their plans, for a couple of extra thirds or seconds, if possible, because of the talent that will drop. This is a great draft to have multiple second rounders in. Sigh.

Correction...all it takes is 28 teams behind us to fall in love...and not trade for the 1 of top 3 picks...

It's possible, but not likely.

Obviously. But the point is noone wants to pay those top 3 contracts. If someone feels like theres a top 3 talent when we're picking at 4, that could be enough to have our phone ring. It's possible.

How likely was Orakpo to fall to us at 13 last year?

The No. 4 pick is worth $ 45 milliion. I guarantee the Skins will not spend this kind of dough on an unproven Lineman with flaws. By the same token, only a team looking for a QB would be interested in trading with Skins. I can't think of any though who would want to spend this much dough on a Bradford or a Clausen. The lone exception is the Skins. Ergo ... they stay where they are.

Archived