Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CBS 60 Minutes: The Bloombox Video

AsburySkinsFan

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6228923n&tag=api

Pretty impressive if you ask me. Watch the whole thing.

Personally I think the 5-10 years in every home is a bit ambitious, but if they can get it to $3,000 for a US home then I don't see what will stand in its way. The side by side comparison with the solar panels was really startling. Twice as much power than the solar and less than half of the natural gas as would be required to produce the same power.

No. Power companies will buy the rights for the technology and then hide it in the basement....then jack up the rates to cover what ever they spent.

That's my fear. That's why I hope it goes open source, but with the investor he has in his program I guess they're going to want to make their money out of it. I love that they already have these things active in Wal-Mart, Google and eBay really go a long way to give credibility to the project. I just hope they can get the cost down so the average American family can afford them.

I saw this Sunday night. Sounds too good to be true, doesn't it?

Bloombox stands to make more money if they can sell to the end-user rather than the power companies. So, holding out hope that it turns out to be the case.

I think some of the verbage regarding power companies buying it was a bit of interference- I don't think a $100 million startup company wants to make enemies out of the Utilities industry :ols:

That said, I won't be buying any utility company stocks anytime soon :silly:

what happens to the natural gas in the process to make this a zero emmision energy? anyone know? does it just float out into the atmosphere? That would be pollution, no?

The way they made it sound wasn't that it was non polluting, just less polluting. At least that's what I understood.

Amazing what happens when you make alternative a PRIORITY instead of just drilling more holes in the ground. In another decade of continued focus on creative energy solutions who knows what is possible. The standard model of distribution and utility company is dated and inefficient.

Amazing what happens when you make alternative a PRIORITY instead of just drilling more holes in the ground. In another decade of continued focus on creative energy solutions who knows what is possible. The standard model of distribution and utility company is dated and inefficient.

And a textbook example of where Government can interfere in private markets to not only act in the public interest, but save them from myopia. and make folks a ****load of money.

And a textbook example of where Government can interfere in private markets to not only act in the public interest, but save them from myopia. and make folks a ****load of money.

Yup. An energy market boom is possible if there is a fuel cell break through. Or an algae bio diesel advancement. Or if more than one alternative fuel can be used to power the other. Suddenly Detroit doesn't crank just cars anymore... they crank out energy too. Energy tends to sell well, especially the kind that you can set up anywhere and have it power something. Think of the advantages.

I'd say Obama's clean energy initiative along with the critical piece that demands the jobs for it remain here is looking better. Bush pushed green energy too... I'm not hating on him here either.

and yet the thing is basically still power by some form of fossil fuel... It just makes more efficient use of it...

dont make a generalized statement to say "drilling more holes" is a bad thing because without me and the other evil doers doing that the world as you know it wont exist...

and yet the thing is basically still power by some form of fossil fuel... It just makes more efficient use of it...

dont make a generalized statement to say "drilling more holes" is a bad thing because without me and the other evil doers doing that the world as you know it wont exist...

he also doesnt take into account maintance, let him believe the dream he is young and still a democrat

Fossil fuels aren't a bad thing. Drilling more holes however isn't the solution to the energy problem however. That's all I'm saying. Things like this box cut consumption down dramatically and more importantly allow the creation of electricity quietly on site from (according to the interview) multiple fuel sources.

he also doesnt take into account maintance, let him believe the dream he is young and still a democrat

I really don't even know what to say to this... really maintenance? You really think I imagined this thing to be maintenance free when the interview itself talked about the bloom box needed repairs?

I really don't even know what to say to this... really maintenance? You really think I imagined this thing to be maintenance free when the interview itself talked about the bloom box needed repairs?

Oh come on Destino, don't you see the humor? I mean the world is running out of oil and they want to drill more oil, and burn more oil faster polluting the world faster. That way when the oil is near to running out all of our nations can fight over whatever scratch of dirt sits on top of the last drop of oil. And if anyone thinks that countries won't go to war with us when the US is the last country on Earth pumping oil just hasn't thought far enough down the road we are on.

See, funny...right.

Archived