Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official game thread: Washington at Carolina.

Art

not at 30 with an arthritic back :)

If Gardener had been healthy I think the Skins would have given him the money.

I agree there should have been a backup plan to make a trade or to be more certain of the succession before the issue was forced with Wilkinson.

I suppose the thinking was that Wilkinson if he were a good businessman would take $2 million for 2003 in a pay cut rather than go on the market and settle for under $ 1 million.

It wasn't the first time the Redskins have overestimated Big Daddy being smart or able :laugh:

Panthers showing blitz R Johnson tries to audible to move Rock in position for draw play cant call TO delay of game

2nd and 15

pass complete to R Royal after scramble for 6 yds

3rd down and 9

shotgun panthers jump offsides then the skins player rises penalty goes on panther

3rd and 4 at the 7 yd line

P Johnson TD nope holding on skins

3rd and 14 at the 17

panthers blits pass is thrown and is broken up by panthers russell was covered.

FGA by the Lifeguard is just a bit outside ala Wildthing :rolleyes:

bulldog...that's not the argument...the argument is that the front office did nothing to sign quality DTs. just like last year when they thought they could slide by witgh second rate guards, they have gambled that they can get by with "hard worlkers" at DT. It won't work against teams with good O-lines and it will sink the whole defensive concept. but, as you say, it is early. let's hope our DTs magically grow a few inchess, put on some pounds, pick up a few decimal points on the 40, and do some more time in the weight room.

I suppose we should be worried our lifeguard signed on Friday missed a field goal too? :)

Geez, it's going to be a byatch this season depending on him. Oh, that's right he will be gone in the middle of next week I forgot for a moment :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by fansince62

bulldog...that's not the argument...the argument is that the front office did nothing to sign quality DTs. just like last year when they thought they could slide by witgh second rate guards, they have gambled that they can get by with "hard worlkers" at DT. It won't work against teams with good O-lines and it will sink the whole defensive concept. but, as you say, it is early. let's hope our DTs magically grow a few inchess, put on some pounds, pick up a few decimal points on the 40, and do some more time in the weight room.

Al,

We did slide through last year with second-rate guards. It wasn't our guards or our line that cost us last season. It was outrageous turnovers and mistakes in the new system for the most part.

But, I'll say now you've officially taken over ASF's position for the most hysterical offseason participant. You don't win anything. But, please, mention Robert Nunn as a complete failure from this point forward if you don't mind :).

bulldog....none of you have answered the point: the physical TALENT isn't there at DT. Those were our starters. You can see even now that we will be gameplanning to compensate all year. The Offense didn't play well...but the TALENT is there so I'm not worried and expect progressive improvement as we march into the regular season.

geeez......

Yeah I wished the first Qtr had gone better, but dropped balls and missed tackles take their toll. I was actually suprise how good R. Johnson looked however. Made alot of nice throws and got rid of the ball when he was in trouble.

Lets remember some facts as well. The Skins had quite a few first stringers that didn't even make the trip, and this is the first preseason game. All in all, I rather see this now and us trying to find ways to address it before the opener, then us running up and down on a team that is not trying to get anyone hurt, or not trying to show to much in their first preseason game.

No, fansince62, blow it out of yours. Its not homerism Im advocating. There is a big difference between constructive criticism and incessant whining ("our DL sucks... after just one half of a preseason game, I already know it... we're in for such a long year.. its hopeless... boo-hoo-hoo...") :rolleyes:

Get a grip. Its just one half of a preseason game, dude. Our first one. You want to give it a little bit before you declare our DL a disaster? :rolleyes: Several of our DL guys didn't even play tonite.

I don't mind criticism, if its going somewhere. Its downright fair weather negativity I can't stand. :rolleyes:

Skins Guy

Albeit Rob Johnson is playing against backups, it sounds like he's playing fairly well. It holds true to form that he performs much better in games than he does in practice. Hope he keeps it up and I'll feel much better. :cheers:

FanSince62, I don't see where Noble (6'2 and 305), Haley (6'3 and 309) and Jackson (6'4 and 301) don't measure up to DTs you see on other teams in terms of size and strength.

In fact I was reading the South Florida papers when Haley signed and one article noted that he was one of the strongest players on the Dolphins team.

So, I see where the performances in two or three series in the first quarter are cause for short-term concern in that the defense appears to need work.

But to say the size, strength and toughness is not present on the DL is very premature.

we don't know these players very well yet. I saw Noble play 3 or 4 games last year for Dallas and wasn't focusing on him as I would have if I knew he would be coming to DC. He looked solid from what I recall, and he certainly didn't get any help vs. the run up the middle from LaRoi Glover whose sole focus is getting to the qb :)

Archived