Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins TV - 'Meet Jim Haslett' Interview - Worth a Listen

Est.1974

Despite the long-held belief that an uncapped year would result in a spending spree from Snyder, the reality is there are so many restrictions and limitations to free agency that have watered down the pool, such an idea is unrealistic. But one of the ways a team can capitalize on the rules is to take advantage of the fact that there are no cap penalties for cutting or trading players. Bad contracts can be disposed of without any cap impact beyond 2010 should the cap return with a new CBA, and teams can trade players because again, there are no cap consequences. One of the smartest things we could do is sign good players like Dansby and either Robinson or Bodden, players at whose positions we have valuable assets, such as Rocky and Rogers. Sign Dansby and one of the corners, then trade Rocky and Rogers. You get upgrades at both positions, and in the case of both Rocky and Rogers, their trade value should fall somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd round pick. Or we could look to ship them to another team for proven NFL players, maybe a Chris Kuper. Other players we could do that with are Carter, Landry, TE and Moss, but I get the feeling Carter will be here, and reading the tea leaves suggests we're not likely to deal Cooley or Davis. I'm not a big Landry fan, but I would keep him. I'm curious what he might do under a coaching staff that will kick him in the arse and play him in his more natural role closer to the line and allow him to attack downhill. So that leaves Moss, and I'd very much consider signing an Antonio Bryant and dealing Moss, in the hopes of getting an offensive lineman or 3rd/4th round pick in return.

That means you got too much time on your hands. I don't carry myself like either one of those cats. Wow, this really must be the offseason. BTW, good answer. All you guys need to do is pay attention.

http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=317147&page=3

But the truth is you do carry yourself like one of them. Believe it or not, everyone isn't up to date with each and every one of TK's or jsteelz posts. I have limited time to come on ES. If you have info whats the point of acting like The Riddler? Spill the beans and save me( as well as many others) the time of having to look through threads or don't post at all. Real simple.

Edit- I see EA spoke on that. My bad.

Wow, he stepped on the Qb's head during a game. Wonder what some of the "holyier then thou" fans will think about that.

I played QB. My best friend on our team played DB.

He kicked me in the head during a practice scrimmage when I slid at the end of a scramble just before he got the chance to tackle me. This is football not ice dancing.

I was his best man several years later.

Foerster said we're getting a new OL.

3:30 into his interview "There's gonna be, appears to be a lot of turnover on the offensive line.

New OL +? :laugh:

So we are getting a new OL, new skill players on O and changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 look on defense.

How many draft picks have we got again?

So we are getting a new OL, new skill players on O and changing from a 4-3 to a 3-4 look on defense.

How many draft picks have we got again?

Going to be interesting to see exactly what we do and how. As already stated in this thread Dansby and Robinson = +2 picks (or players via trade) from Rocky and 'Los (whose hands don't match the turnover approach of Haslett).

Doable from this point.

Greg Blache: "sacks aren't really important"

That stupid comment ranked right up there with Buddy Ryan's comment about Chris Carter:

"all the guy does is score TD's"

I think we will all be happy with Haslett if for no other reason he believes Sacks ARE important. Talk about the OPPOSITE of Greg Blache.

Pretty much, watching Blache's Defense was disgusting last year. I think we showed the same three or four looks all year. We were downright overrated. I like Haslett better for the simple reason that he will be aggressive.

Wow, I thought these "Meet the Coach" things would be the usual Larry puff pieces but this interview was great. Haslett really won me over, seems like a really smart, hungry guy who just loves the game and knows what he's talking about.

The key thing for me is that he wanted to make the players happy by letting them do what they like to do. I can't wait to see an aggressive defense and one that utilizes our players.

I also love how he "accidentally" stepped on bradshaw's face!

I don't like this defense coach. He thinks turnovers are not overrated!!!

lol, while I get where you're going and I'm definitely excited about the aggressive nature Haslett wants to run his Defense with, I can't help but get bothered when people, understandably but still wrongly, revise history a bit and paint the wrong picture about others. Especially when those "others" are men who have helped our favorite team out for the most part.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't believe Blache ever said turnovers were overrated. In fact, he repeatedly stated, especially this offseason, that he wanted to generate more turnovers with a better pass rush. The only thing he did say was that sacks are overrated, and he further elaborated saying it was more important to pressure the QB than actually sack him, which would cause more mistakes. It's not like he meant sacks were unimportant, just that the intention of a pass rush should be to cause fumbles and INTs more than just sacks, which were valued too highly.

While it is easy to disagree with that, I don't think it's such a ridiculous proposition.

Blache gets way too much of a bad rep here, more than what is deserved. No, he wasn't as aggressive as he should've been (maybe due more to an inept offense than anything else) and no, he didn't utilize his players talents in the best way all the time... but we still had a better Defense than the majority of teams in the NFL under him. Sometimes we need to at least be somewhat appreciative, especially when what we have/had was better than what so many others do/did. :)

It's interesting to note that in the process of all of us accepting that are Defense under Blache became overrated, he became severely underrated, lol!

Going to be interesting to see exactly what we do and how. As already stated in this thread Dansby and Robinson = +2 picks (or players via trade) from Rocky and 'Los (whose hands don't match the turnover approach of Haslett).

Doable from this point.

Just FYI - Dansby is confirmed to being released and may become one of the highest paid LB's (he wants a contract with $30 mil guarenteed) but Robinson is still a question mark. The Texans could still tag him.

lol, while I get where you're going and I'm definitely excited about the aggressive nature Haslett wants to run his Defense with, I can't help but get bothered when people, understandably but still wrongly, revise history a bit and paint the wrong picture about others. Especially when those "others" are men who have helped our favorite team out for the most part.

What I'm trying to say is that I don't believe Blache ever said turnovers were overrated. In fact, he repeatedly stated, especially this offseason, that he wanted to generate more turnovers with a better pass rush. The only thing he did say was that sacks are overrated, and he further elaborated saying it was more important to pressure the QB than actually sack him, which would cause more mistakes. It's not like he meant sacks were unimportant, just that the intention of a pass rush should be to cause fumbles and INTs more than just sacks, which were valued too highly.

While it is easy to disagree with that, I don't think it's such a ridiculous proposition.

Blache gets way too much of a bad rep here, more than what is deserved. No, he wasn't as aggressive as he should've been (maybe due more to an inept offense than anything else) and no, he didn't utilize his players talents in the best way all the time... but we still had a better Defense than the majority of teams in the NFL under him. Sometimes we need to at least be somewhat appreciative, especially when what we have/had was better than what so many others do/did. :)

It's interesting to note that in the process of all of us accepting that are Defense under Blache became overrated, he became severely underrated, lol!

I agree that Blache gets blasted unfairly because he built a solid defense. However its clear to everyone that Blache's lack of aggression and spontaneity rendered the defense helpless in certain situations. When Blache took over for Gregg he clearly said that he wasn't going to change much but would simplify things a bit so that the players could just react instead of having to think before they reacted. But the problem with that is alot of our players on defense lack play making ability. So in Gregg Williams defense we'd blitz both corners and force the QB into a mistake, where as in Blache's we would rush four drop seven and hope that someone in the right position would make a play on the ball. Blache seemed to never realize that he didnt have a group of superstars at every position who could make a play with ease.Instead he had a bunch of role players who needed to be sent on individual destroy missions to create mistakes by the offense.

I mean what good is being in the right position if you cant intercept the ball (Carlos Rogers) or make the tackle ( Landry). So you need a coordinator who isnt going to to rely on Landry to tackle in open space. He's going to send Landry on a search and destroy mission after the QB. Or instead of relying on Rogers to intercept the pass when he's one on one with a receiver, he's going to create enough pressure to where the QB will throw the ball right to Rogers. So I think Haslett has a better approach..Hopefully this 3-4 we are running is something that caters to the strengths of our players as he mentioned in his interview and not just a philosophical switch to a different scheme because its in fashion right now.

couple slips by Hasslet, def a 34 look of some sort next year. looking forward to seeing rak "do what he do"

Well its a good bet that the Skins will run a 3-4 but I wouldn't go so far as saying anyone on this staff is slipping up or letting things get out. These are old foxy veterans on this staff and they are going to be tricky as hell with not only their formations, play calling, but also with their words. I will wait and sit back and enjoy how this staff puts together a team and toys with the competition.

Just FYI - Dansby is confirmed to being released and may become one of the highest paid LB's (he wants a contract with $30 mil guarenteed) but Robinson is still a question mark. The Texans could still tag him.

My bad for making my post look like I thought it was a done deal. I meant it to be a 'these are some of the potential options', and on a 4-12 team there won't be many must keep players.

I'm looking forward to how we go about it all over the next 2 or 3 years.

Will be interesting to see how big any FA contracts are. Will our new FO mean we get value closer to the Pats than the Raiders and if so how soon will we see a change?

Even though he didn't want to announce it or give it away, it appears that he is clearly going to switch to 3-4. He caught himself once but when they talked about AH he said Nose, LB or De. Also he said Andre would move back to LB. I'm stoked as the 3-4 has proven to be the superior defense in the NFL in general.

Even though he didn't want to announce it or give it away, it appears that he is clearly going to switch to 3-4. He caught himself once but when they talked about AH he said Nose, LB or De. Also he said Andre would move back to LB. I'm stoked as the 3-4 has proven to be the superior defense in the NFL in general.

Yeah, definitely caught that.

Plus we'll see Orakpo rush the passer about twice as often as we saw this year. And that London fits in his plans well. Good to hear!

And, the other interesting part was when he said we would be getting a lot more new offensive talent this year. We kind of figured that would be the focus of this offseason, just nice to hear it directly from him.

FYI..

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/report/WAS/12946406/redskins-report-notes-quotes?source=rss_teams_Washington_Redskins

Players have been told privately that it's coming. Everyone expects it's going to happen. But no one has officially confirmed that the Redskins will primarily use a 3-4 alignment on defense for the first time in their 74 years in Washington.

No coaches have spoken to media not employed by the team since new head man Mike Shanahan's introductory welcome to Washington press conference six weeks ago. And even in his interview with Redskins.com.tv, new defensive coordinator Jim Haslett declined to say whether the Redskins were going to a 3-4.

However, while Haslett didn't solely run the 3-4 as head coach in New Orleans and St. Louis, he earned his coaching stripes in the 1990s in Pittsburgh's top-notch 3-4 scheme and hired Lou Spanos from the Steelers to coach linebackers.

"I think the 3-4 is a good fit," Haslett told reporters in a January teleconference. "Guys like (strong side linebacker Brian) Orakpo, he could really do it. (Defensive tackle Albert) Haynesworth could do it. (Middle linebacker) London (Fletcher) has done it before. (Weak side linebacker) Rocky (McIntosh) could do it. (Right end Andre) Carter could be a good rush linebacker, but he's a good defensive end, too. Those are all things we'll go through. I think you got the personnel to do whatever you want."

Fletcher, who'll likely line up inside next to McIntosh (a restricted free agent), isn't worried about the defense making a big adjustment.

"I've played in a 4-3 and a 3-4," he said. "And some of the things we did last year (under retired coordinator Greg Blache) are related to the 3-4 concept."

The big question will be whether the often-truculent Haynesworth will give up his body and play nose tackle or whether he'll insist on playing end, leaving the nose to the aging Cornelius Griffin or 2009 backups Kedric Golston and Anthony Montgomery (both restricted free agents).

Also, Carter didn't enjoy his previous experience at outside linebacker with San Francisco in 2005. And Jeremy Jarmon, who showed promise as a rookie end before suffering a season-ending broken leg in November, is too light to succeed at that spot in a 3-4.

In contrast, a 3-4 could be a boon for pass rusher Chris Wilson, who played sparingly at linebacker in 2009 after being moved from end. And Orakpo recorded almost all of his rookie-high 11 sacks in 2009 with his hand down as an end rather than as a linebacker.

Of course, it seems silly to make a switch since the Redskins finished in the top 10 on defense in all but one of their six seasons under Gregg Williams (2004-07) and Blache (2008-09), but all signs point to a 3-4 in 2010.

^^ This whole thing is soooo intriguing it's killing me. I really can't wait to see how our Defense looks this year.

I definitely wonder about Jarmon more than anything though. I really wanted, and expected, him to be great for us and now with the 3-4 thing it's tough to see what his role could possibly be.

Archived