Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins TV - 'Meet Jim Haslett' Interview - Worth a Listen

Est.1974

http://www.redskins.com/do/videoGallery

I think this one is worth a listen.

Talks about how Orakpo' date=' Haynesworth can be used. Has spoken to Al about playing NT / DE etc. He says Orakpo rushed 400+ times last year. Looking to double that to ~800 :D. Suggest's Carter will like what we are doing on D. Its all about turnovers, not the final D ranking. Its interesting stuff.

Also, early in the interview, I'm sure he clearly says we will be getting more skill players on Offensive.[/quote']

Thank you for posting, I would have undoubtedly missed it. I had know idea his resume was that impressive. I love his emphasis on turnovers and sacks, I could not agree more. We have, for a VERY long time, been able to stop the run and limit offenses; however, we have not taken the ball away. When you get an INT it not only puts the ball back in your QB's hands but it sucks the wind out of the opposing QB, their defense, and their fans. As Haslett mentioned, the Saints are the perfect example of that being true.

^^ This whole thing is soooo intriguing it's killing me. I really can't wait to see how our Defense looks this year.

I definitely wonder about Jarmon more than anything though. I really wanted, and expected, him to be great for us and now with the 3-4 thing it's tough to see what his role could possibly be.

He is an actor with huge GPA, brilliant kid who will find a way to figure it out. Physically, he is a little heavy for a LB which is beneficial in the 3-4. Woodley is 265, and had 13.5 sacks last season for Pittsburgh.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/players/playerpage/424119

Jarmon comes in at 277, but should be able to trim down 15 pounds, which will likely make him a lot faster and more durable.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/players/Jeremy_Jarmon.jsp

Alternatively, he could bulk up and stay at DE. Dwan Ewards and Trevor Pryce are both 290 and fit well in the Ravens' 3-4. Brett Keisel comes in at 285 for the Steelers. DeMarcus Ware converted from DE and trimmed down to 265. So he has options, but he will need to bulk up or trim down. For the most part, in the 3-4 your interior LBs are the ones that need to excel at the IQ part of the position, your outside guys, like Ware and Porter, just need to know how to rush. Jarmon can rush all day long and is a Political Science major which probably means he can figure out what else comes with the job. Coverage could be a liability for any of the DEs that swtich, Carter in particular, but for the most part those guys will be blitzing. Haslett said the Orakpo was able to do what he did with only 400 rushes, what if I could get him up to 800 rushes. I think this defense is going to focus on being aggressive, not coverage.

Jarmon comes in at 277, but should be able to trim down 15 pounds, which will likely make him a lot faster and more durable. Alternatively, he could bulk up and stay at DE. Dwan Ewards and Trevor Pryce are both 290 and fit well in the Ravens' 3-4. Brett Keisel comes in at 285 for the Steelers.

It was suggested in another thread that the plan was for Jarmon to drop weight and play LB. I think I'd rather he bulked up to play LDE but he doesn't really appear to 'fit' at the moment.

It was suggested in another thread that the plan was for Jarmon to drop weight and play LB. I think I'd rather he bulked up to play LDE but he doesn't really appear to 'fit' at the moment.

Jarmon told the Redskins insider he wants to drop his weight down into the 260's... On WPL he said he meets with Spanos as part of his routine at Redskins park.

Jarmon told the Redskins insider he wants to drop his weight down into the 260's... On WPL he said he meets with Spanos as part of his routine at Redskins park.

Hadn't seen that. It'll be interesting to see how that goes then. I just find it hard to visualise him at LB at the moment. Time will tell on that one.

I'll be keen to see if we re-sign Chris Wilson. He's been noted in a couple of write up's as someone who might benefit from the switch to 3-4 but we gotta sign him up first.

Hadn't seen that. It'll be interesting to see how that goes then. I just find it hard to visualise him at LB at the moment. Time will tell on that one.

I'll be keen to see if we re-sign Chris Wilson. He's been noted in a couple of write up's as someone who might benefit from the switch to 3-4 but we gotta sign him up first.

I get an uneasy sense with a switch to a 3-4 that we have too many round pegs being forced into square holes (Jarmon to LB, Carter to LB, Rocky to ILB, Haynesworth to NT, etc).

I know the coaches have forgotten more about this than I know but I would much rather us stick with the 4-3 this year while we address the mess on the other side of the ball and then look to switch up defensive style next year.

Haynesworth should definitely be moved to DE in a 3-4. NT is already a difficult position to fill. Given his injury history and the amount of breaks he takes, we can't depend on him to fill that crucial spot... IMHO.

I have a hard time seeing Jarmon playing LB. I'd rather see him put on the weight. The guy got up to at least 286 in college. Trying to lose that weight (by taking dietary supplements) is what got him in trouble with the NCAA. If he's naturally a bigger guy, let him stay at DE.

Orakpo stands to benefit the most from the switch. He'll have way more pass rush opportunities. I think Rocky is capable of making the switch if the coaches want him. Fletcher has played well in a 3-4 system in the past. Andre Carter is the player with the most to lose in this situation. If we plan on letting Rak get after the QB on most plays, that would put Carter in coverage a lot. I don't like that idea at all.

The system he is scheming sounds promising!! Just as he says in the interview, the 3-4 is harder to prepair for, harder to tell where the blitz is going to come from. Thats all great stuff. But just as he also says its harder to run outside on, and with big Al in the middle and Fletch right behind him, I think teams will have a hell of a time trying to run aginst us.

The system he is scheming sounds promising!! Just as he says in the interview, the 3-4 is harder to prepair for, harder to tell where the blitz is going to come from. Thats all great stuff. But just as he also says its harder to run outside on, and with big Al in the middle and Fletch right behind him, I think teams will have a hell of a time trying to run aginst us.

The 3-4 certainly gives you more disguise than a 4-3 to an extent. However I think that's overstated. A 4-3 under look, which we ran a lot last year, gives you exactly the same look as a 3-4 but with one guy more with his hand in the dirt. So thats one more guy standing up who can rush or drop into coverage, thats not night and day.

Archived