Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Them Crooked Vultures

Springfield

Who's heard of them? Who likes them?

I guess you could say it's a supergroup. John Paul Jones (of Led Zeppelin fame), Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters and Nirvana) and Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age).

I mainly heard about them when I was looking to see if/when the Queens of the Stone Age would be coming out with a new CD. It doesn't really seem to me that they've got the same media push that a band like Audioslave had when they came out. I had to find out about them myself.

Personally, I prefer the QotSA. Their music is pretty cool though. I'd say that you should check out their CD (or songs on youtube) if you are into the genre.

I like the idea, but nothing they do is terribly inventive.

I really don't get why people place such high expectations on supergroups. They seem to almost universally fit the old "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" proverb. Expecting exponential increases in musical quality because of the names lent to a project or something mindblowingly innovative is just unrealistic.

I really don't get why people place such high expectations on supergroups. They seem to almost universally fit the old "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" proverb. Expecting exponential increases in musical quality because of the names lent to a project or something mindblowingly innovative is just unrealistic.

Are you saying you like them or not? I've got a live show of theirs from last August, and I gotta say, I haven't listened to it since I first did.

I'm a fan. When I heard that Dave Grohl and Josh Homme were working together again, I was pretty excited. But then I saw John Paul Jones was added in the mix, and was very excited. I liked the album quite a bit. In-fact I listened to it earlier today. It's not Queens of the Stone Age, Foo Fighters or Led Zeppelin by any means. But from the aspect of some of my favorite musicians working together, I like it a lot.

Apparently everyone in this thread: http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=293709

And a few in this one, too: http://extremeskins.com/showthread.php?p=7090549 :drooley:

I'd say their debut album was stronger than anything Audioslave put out during their run.

I did a search for "Them Crooked Vultures" and it came back with nothing other than the supergroup thread. We can merge this one.

I'm not a huge fan of Dave Grohl myself. I really dug the whole heavy bass, stoner rock that was a staple of QotSA. I think that Josh Homme has a very unique voice (similar to the guy of the Killers).

I thought it was a good album. My expectations just didn't get blown terribly out of proportion just because I like the Foo Fighters, Led Zeppelin, and QotSA.

Dude, get over yourself. I haven't had expectations of a supergroup since Asia or GTR. But the idea of talented musicians playing together still has more potential than a bunch of nobodies.

• 2 months later...

Archived