Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Speculation and Rumors

hitmandm

Which THREE Categories Should Be Used In The Babe Draft?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Which THREE Categories Should Be Used In The Babe Draft?

It is looking that unless we think Bradford is not a franchise QB, we will take him in Rd1, 4th overall. The rumors are that the Rams are going to try and get a QB like Vick, which makes me think they'll go Suh for sure. We will possibly have our pick of QB in Rd 1. Now I think getting a franchise QB is the most important thing any team can do, but I also think getting a top quality LT is the next single important thing a team can do.

But, when I look at our 2nd round pick, I just dont see a likely situation that any Tackle or Guard will be worthy of our pick. Maybe Pouncey the Center is, but we need LTs first, not Centers.

Here is some draft speculation that merits discussion.

Scenario 1: Trade Fred Davis. 2 TE sets are great but not when you are missing both OTs on your offensive line. One team that needs a pass-catching TE is the Patriots. We trade Davis, who values at a high second round pick- and include maybe a second round pick next year, and we will be able to move up to pick 22 and select OT Brown from USC. If were shrewed, perhaps we keep our 2nd this year and can get another player there as well. Pouncy a Center would be great.

Scenario 2. Trade with Jacksonville at 10 or 11. Jacksonville wants Tebow, but knows that he isnt worth that high a pick- especially after the Sr. Bowl performance. I think the Jags will be open to try and trade down into Rd2 to get him at a reasonable price. I dont know what it would cost, but package our 2nd this year and draft picks next year and trade up for a Davis or Campbell. Perhaps include Fred Davis.

If were smart, we will be able to come away with a franchise QB and a starting LT in this draft- the two most important positions in football.

I'm sorry but your suggestion that NE would trade two second round picks for a TE is hillarious. NE does not rely on the TE heavily as a pass catcher and values blocking in that position. Basically the opposite of Fred Davis. If they want a pass catcher they can get one in the draft for much less than two second round picks.

By whom exactly?

I think Davis, if he were available in this draft would be a top second round pick. He caught 6tds and had 500 yds catching the ball- in little over half a year- from a brain-dead QB behind one of the worst OLs in the league. Plus he is only 24.

I did not mean he was worth 2 second round picks.

I'm sorry but your suggestion that NE would trade two second round picks for a TE is hillarious. NE does not rely on the TE heavily as a pass catcher and values blocking in that position. Basically the opposite of Fred Davis. If they want a pass catcher they can get one in the draft for much less than two second round picks.

I did not mean to say the Patriots would trade 2 second round picks. We would trade Davis and our second next year. I think the Pats want a pass catching TE as an outlet for Brady...especially after their little slot guy has 2 torn knee ligaments.

I did not mean to say the Patriots would trade 2 second round picks. We would trade Davis and our second next year. I think the Pats want a pass catching TE as an outlet for Brady...especially after their little slot guy has 2 torn knee ligaments.

Why would we want to do such a thing? We lose a valuable pass catcher so that we can use next year's second round pick this year? Fred Davis is a good player and you don't get rid of good players unless you get something in return. We probably won't win many games in 2010 so our second round pick should be pretty close to the top. With as many long term needs as this franchise has we want as many draft picks as possible.

As things stand now I think Tebow will be available to Jax in round two. I don't see a need for them to move up/down to take him. I would find it interesting if someone Eli Manninged him and snagged him before Jax can in an attempt to ransom him off because of his financial importance to Jacksonville.

I guess since I'm shooting down your ideas I should add some of my own to keep this thread going. I'm a JC guy so I'd like to see him get another shot but if our braintrust thinks Bradford or Claussen are franchise calibre QB's at #4 I'm 100% behind them. If not I'd like Okung/Davis at #4. If Suh/McCoy are there it would be an interesting problem to have. There could be some good trade down opportunities if that happens.

At #36 I'm liking Tennant, the C from BC. I don't know a ton about him but I've been reading favorable reports on him since the Senior Bowl. He's light at 290 but that seems to fit what Shanahan likes to do and he plays with good leverage which allows him to take on the bigger nose tackles. Center is an undervalued position and we could use a huge upgrade there. Rabach has handled the calls but physically isn't where he needs to be. A top LT in the first paired with a C in the second could give us a strength on the left side of our line. It may take a year to develop and mesh but it could be similar to what NYJ has in Ferguson, Faneca, and Mangold. Dockery is no Faneca but it could still be a strong side of the line. A FA and a draft pick in 2011 and our starting line could be set for years if we hit on our picks.

Why would we want to do such a thing? We lose a valuable pass catcher so that we can use next year's second round pick this year? Fred Davis is a good player and you don't get rid of good players unless you get something in return. We probably won't win many games in 2010 so our second round pick should be pretty close to the top. With as many long term needs as this franchise has we want as many draft picks as possible.

As things stand now I think Tebow will be available to Jax in round two. I don't see a need for them to move up/down to take him. I would find it interesting if someone Eli Manninged him and snagged him before Jax can in an attempt to ransom him off because of his financial importance to Jacksonville.

I went over this already. OLT are more valuable than 2 TE sets. We have a pro bowl TE Cooley. We need OL. The second round pick is devalued becuase it is next year. We are moving into the first round.

Tebow will not be available when Jax pick in the 2nd because they dont have a pick in the 2nd.

I guess since I'm shooting down your ideas I should add some of my own to keep this thread going. I'm a JC guy so I'd like to see him get another shot but if our braintrust thinks Bradford or Claussen are franchise calibre QB's at #4 I'm 100% behind them. If not I'd like Okung/Davis at #4. If Suh/McCoy are there it would be an interesting problem to have. There could be some good trade down opportunities if that happens.

At #36 I'm liking Tennant, the C from BC. I don't know a ton about him but I've been reading favorable reports on him since the Senior Bowl. He's light at 290 but that seems to fit what Shanahan likes to do and he plays with good leverage which allows him to take on the bigger nose tackles. Center is an undervalued position and we could use a huge upgrade there. Rabach has handled the calls but physically isn't where he needs to be. A top LT in the first paired with a C in the second could give us a strength on the left side of our line. It may take a year to develop and mesh but it could be similar to what NYJ has in Ferguson, Faneca, and Mangold. Dockery is no Faneca but it could still be a strong side of the line. A FA and a draft pick in 2011 and our starting line could be set for years if we hit on our picks.

You are trying to shoot my ideas down. Not knowing Jax doesnt have a 2nd round pick this year shows you are not doing it in an intelligent manner. Why take Tennent in the 2nd when theres a good chance Pouncey...a much higher rated C will be there. Even the C from Baylor is currently projected a head of him...unless you want to take the 3rd best C prospect with our high 2nd rounder when you dont know a ton about him?

I went over this already. OLT are more valuable than 2 TE sets. We have a pro bowl TE Cooley. We need OL. The second round pick is devalued becuase it is next year. We are moving into the first round.

Tebow will not be available when Jax pick in the 2nd because they dont have a pick in the 2nd.

I'm not arguing that 2 TE sets are more valuable than LT's, thats a given. I'm saying it's foolish to give away a good player so that we can use a second rounder a year early. If you want to move Davis go for it, but actually get something in return. While picks are "devalued" a round in trades, it doesn't actually make it less valuable to the long term interest of this team. In my opinion we have too many holes to be moving up in the draft. I believe it would be in our best interest to leave 2011's picks in 2011, and select a player at #36. If anything we should be exploring trading down from #4 if there are any takers.

As far as Jax not having a second round pick I was unaware of that so point taken.

I'm not arguing that 2 TE sets are more valuable than LT's, thats a given. I'm saying it's foolish to give away a good player so that we can use a second rounder a year early. If you want to move Davis go for it, but actually get something in return. While picks are "devalued" a round in trades, it doesn't actually make it less valuable to the long term interest of this team. In my opinion we have too many holes to be moving up in the draft. I believe it would be in our best interest to leave 2011's picks in 2011, and select a player at #36. If anything we should be exploring trading down from #4 if there are any takers.

As far as Jax not having a second round pick I was unaware of that so point taken.

I want to trade Davis and a second rounder next year for the Patriots #1 pick this year- #22- so we can draft perhaps the last remaining OLT worthy of a 1 or 2 round grade. I am all for keeping draft picks, and you make a point about many holes to fill, but getting an OT in the first round at the expense of a future pick isnt a bad thing. Especially if Bradford is take at 4.

You are trying to shoot my ideas down. Not knowing Jax doesnt have a 2nd round pick this year shows you are not doing it in an intelligent manner. Why take Tennent in the 2nd when theres a good chance Pouncey...a much higher rated C will be there. Even the C from Baylor is currently projected a head of him...unless you want to take the 3rd best C prospect with our high 2nd rounder when you dont know a ton about him?

Its kind of funny that your getting defensive over the fact that someone ls shooting down your ideas when both of them were pretty rediculous. Lighten up.

Cooley has a rich contract and that decreases his value and coming off an injury may make him untradable

I don't think a 4 year deal worth 13 mil and change is all that rich of a contract and he broke a bone is his foot/ankle, not a shredded knee so that will have no effect on his value either.

From a value standpoint trading Davis over Cooley is bad on just about every point.

- Cooley is 4 years older than Davis

- Cooley was a 3rd round pick and Davis was a 2nd (more value in return for our investment)

- Cooley is the established Pro Bowler in the prime of his career which makes him more valuable to a team looking for that final piece of the puzzle

If Shanahan believes that we can compete for a Super Bowl title immediately of in 2 years I believe that we should keep Cooley as having a player like him is key, but if Shanahan determines that we are at least 3 seasons away from making a run we would be wise to trade Cooley in order to help facilitate the rebuilding process.

Well the Rams will draft at least 1, if not 2, players in between Suh and LeFevour. I think LeFevour goes late 3rd or early 4th, I don't see the Rams spending a 2nd round pick of LeFevour.

If LeFevour kills it at the combine, and runs an above average 40, he will.

While he is a project, he's got solid stats, plenty of starting experience, fantastic size, and he has a history of being a dual threat. He's no Mike Vick, but he can hold his own on the run. The best part about that is that he doesn't rack up yards on the ground, he racks up TDs.

If he shows very good arm strength, and more importantly, very good accuracy, he might even sneak into the first.

You're right I am trying to shoot down your idea. That's why in my earlier post I said "since I'm shooting down your idea." You don't have to get defensive this is a forum where we bounce around opinions that differ. It doesn't make either one of us right or wrong. As far as where Tennant or any of the other centers are ranked is a matter of opinion. CBSsports has Tennant ranked at #2. Scout.com has him at #2 behind Pouncey and Walton. Tennant also seems to be the best as far as size being in that nimbler sub 300 lb range that Shanhan seems to have preferred over the years. Though Pouncey is likely familiar with the zone scheme so he might be a good fit as well, I'll be sure to keep an eye on him. My main point was addressing that position with a highly ranked prospect, not neccessarily that it has to be Tennant. That's why I went out of my way to say I'm not terribly familiar with him. I generally don't get into specific draft prospects untill later in the game so I apologize for not being up to date on all of the prospects.

I want to trade Davis and a second rounder next year for the Patriots #1 pick this year- #22- so we can draft perhaps the last remaining OLT worthy of a 1 or 2 round grade. I am all for keeping draft picks, and you make a point about many holes to fill, but getting an OT in the first round at the expense of a future pick isnt a bad thing. Especially if Bradford is take at 4.

I apologize for misunderstanding you. The way you originally phrased it sounded like we were trading Davis for two seconds, then it sounded like Davis and our second for there's. However I do questions why we would need to move from #36 to #22 to take the last remaining LT with a first or second round grade. While there is still a lot of scouting to do as far as combines, physicals, and pro days, this is said to be an extremely deep class especially at OT. Many mock drafts have projected 5-6 going in the first round alone. While some of these will project to be better RT's do you really think we would be unable to find a highly rated prospect at #36. This would especially be a non issue if we address LT at #4, and then use #36 for C, G, or RT.

Its kind of funny that your getting defensive over the fact that someone ls shooting down your ideas when both of them were pretty rediculous. Lighten up.

I always find it ironically funny when someone calls someone a name-- like ridiculous-- and misspells it. Hahaha.

Playing along I actually do think you can get a decent LT in the early 2nd round in this year's draft if the mocks are correct:

Guys like Charlie Brown and John Fox are likely going to be there.

Thank god for you! Actually an insightful post that has merit. You may be right. Beatty fell to the second rd last year because of his size and Brown might do so as well. I just dont think teams like the Lions and Chiefs that pick ahead of us in the 2nd will pass by an OLT worthy of a high round pick.

As for Fox...do you think he will go high?? Read some of the latest scouting reports. He has an injury but more concerning is he was diagnosed with an irregular heartbeat. I see him slipping to rd 3 or 4 on that health concern.

Archived