Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft Speculation and Rumors

hitmandm

Which THREE Categories Should Be Used In The Babe Draft?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. Which THREE Categories Should Be Used In The Babe Draft?

I thought we had the #2 and #3 picks in the 2000 draft because of the trade we made in 1999 with the Saints. We had our 1st rounder, plus theirs.

We actually went into the 2000 draft with three first rounders. We had the Saint's pick (Ricky Williams trade), the Panther's pick (Sean Gilbert trade), and our own. We were a playoff team in 1999 so we were picking in the bottom half of the draft. I believe we traded our pick and the Panther's pick to the 49ers to move up to #3.

The Draft will go down like this. Pretty clear. If Bradford isnt there or people dont think he is a franchise QB, we take Okung at 4. If we think Bradford is the franchise guy, we take him at either 4 or by a trade up to 1 overall- which is a very real possibility if he has a great combine.

I don't think a 4 year deal worth 13 mil and change is all that rich of a contract and he broke a bone is his foot/ankle, not a shredded knee so that will have no effect on his value either.

From a value standpoint trading Davis over Cooley is bad on just about every point.

- Cooley is 4 years older than Davis

- Cooley was a 3rd round pick and Davis was a 2nd (more value in return for our investment)

- Cooley is the established Pro Bowler in the prime of his career which makes him more valuable to a team looking for that final piece of the puzzle

If Shanahan believes that we can compete for a Super Bowl title immediately of in 2 years I believe that we should keep Cooley as having a player like him is key, but if Shanahan determines that we are at least 3 seasons away from making a run we would be wise to trade Cooley in order to help facilitate the rebuilding process.

I don't think Shanahan or anyone will be able to determine what this team is capable of until it figures out what to do with Jason Campbell. If they decide he isn't the QB for them, then it's going to take a long time to rebuild and we might as well trade Cooley since he'll be 30 by the time we're good.

But say Jason Campbell makes huge strides and earns Shanny's trust as a starter. We draft a few offensive linemen and a running back and those are pieces that develop rapidly. Suddenly we're a playoff team being piloted by a hall of fame coach and his impressive staff.

Maybe we should wait a year to figure out what to do with Cooley. Then again, his value might never be higher. I'd love to see him stay but I'd understand if we had to trade him.

My dream hypothetical scenario would be (and this only would be the case if Allen and Shanahan believe that the team needs a total rebuild that will take a couple seasons)

before the draft trades

- trade Carter to Chicago for a 4th

- trade Rogers to Green Bay for a 3rd

- trade McIntosh to St. Louis for a 2nd

draft day trades

- trade 1st (4th overall) and 5th round pick to Buffalo for 1st (9th overall) and a 2011 1st

- trade 1st (9th overall) and Chris Cooley to Cincinnati for 1st (21st overall), 2nd (54th overall), and 2011 1st and 2nd

- trade 2nd (33rd overall) to somebody for a mid to late 2nd and a 3rd

NFL Draft

1(21) Sean Weatherspoon, ILB

2(37) Amari Spievey, CB

2(?) Cam Thomas, NT

2(54) A.J. Edds, ILB

3 Rodger Saffold, LT

3 Jason Worilds, OLB

4 John Jerry, RG/RT

4 Rashawn Jackson, FB

7 Pat Paschall, RB

PFA Steve Maneri, TE

And now I can go back to eating Doritos on the couch because that will never happen in a million years.

I'm sorry but your suggestion that NE would trade two second round picks for a TE is hillarious. NE does not rely on the TE heavily as a pass catcher and values blocking in that position. Basically the opposite of Fred Davis. If they want a pass catcher they can get one in the draft for much less than two second round picks.

Isn't Benjamin Watson a pretty good pass catching TE for the Pats? He and Fred Davis seem to be the same player.

My dream hypothetical scenario would be (and this only would be the case if Allen and Shanahan believe that the team needs a total rebuild that will take a couple seasons)

before the draft trades

draft day trades

- trade 1st (4th overall) and 5th round pick to Buffalo for 1st (9th overall) and a 2011 1st

- trade 1st (9th overall) and Chris Cooley to Cincinnati for 1st (21st overall), 2nd (54th overall), and 2011 1st and 2nd

NFL Draft

2(37) Amari Spievey, CB

2(?) Cam Thomas, NT

2(54) A.J. Edds, ILB

3 Rodger Saffold, LT

3 Jason Worilds, OLB

4 John Jerry, RG/RT

4 Rashawn Jackson, FB

7 Pat Paschall, RB

PFA Steve Maneri, TE

And now I can go back to eating Doritos on the couch because that will never happen in a million years.

In all of this hodge podge you don't even have the Skins coming out of the draft with a QB yet you have them rebuilding? Are they rebuiding around Campbell or Brennan?

I think the problem with all these draft/trade speculation threads is the belief by alot of our fans that we will be able to solve all our problems in 1 draft. We only have 5 picks and we may get only 1 or 2 more comp picks. We have to keep all our picks this year and next year, don't trade any of the young talent we have on the roster and make sure we draft players this year in the positions with the most need.

I would concentrate on QB, OL (Tackle or Guard) and LB. Next year I would concentrate on RB, DB/S, more OL and more LB.

Do not worry about RB, WR, DL, DB/S in this year's draft. We can get by at those positions with what we have. No trading picks. We no longer have Vinny at the helm.

why would we get a comp pick?

before the draft trades

draft day trades

NFL Draft

2(37) Amari Spievey, CB

2(?) Cam Thomas, NT

2(54) A.J. Edds, ILB

3 Rodger Saffold, LT

3 Jason Worilds, OLB

4 John Jerry, RG/RT

4 Rashawn Jackson, FB

7 Pat Paschall, RB

PFA Steve Maneri, TE

After all of that maneuvering your first four picks are on defense? Only two o-lineman and they are third and fourth round picks? We have the worst o-line in the NFL. Where's the QB? Our current QB is mediocre at best; we need a new one. You must not be watching the same games that I am.

<etc...>

I like your thinking until you trade the #4 when you have no franchise QB.

How about:

before the draft trades

- trade Cooley to Cincinnati for a 2nd

NFL Draft

1(4) Sam Bradford (QB)

2(33) Charles Brown (LT)

2(37) Jahvid Best (RB)

2(54) Mike Tennant (OC)

3 Myron Rolle (S)

4 John Jerry (RG/RT)

4 BPA

5 BPA

7 BPA

Jim Haslett was on the St. louis radio station and suggested that the Redskins might take a veteran QB in free agency meaning we draft offensive line and 3-4 defense personnel in the draftin the draft

Why would we take a veteran QB in free agency when we have the best available vet on our roster who we can just tender? The veteran FA QBs this year really are garbage...

Jim Haslett was on the St. Louis radio station and suggested that the Redskins might take a veteran QB in free agency meaning we draft offensive line and 3-4 defensive personnel in the draft

And who might that be? Chris Simms?

The FA quarterback crop this year is garbage. Still doesn't fill our void behind center.

And who might that be? Chris Simms?

The FA quarterback crop this year is garbage. Still doesn't fill our void behind center.

Maybe the FO doesn't think the same as you? Maybe JC isn't the best FA QB available as some of the campbell supporters keep spewing. We will see, I can't wait for the draft!

Why do so many people feel that Braford is the guy at QB? Seriously, if we have the choice between Clausen and Bradford and we select Bradford, I will be genuinely furious. The guy simply isn't that good. And I can guarantee you that he doesn't possess the QB skills of Clausen. And to boot, Bradford is a pansy. This guy shouldnt even be considered over Clausen.

In all of this hodge podge you don't even have the Skins coming out of the draft with a QB yet you have them rebuilding? Are they rebuiding around Campbell or Brennan?

I mention that the rebuild would take years (i.e multiple drafts) and the posturing that was made in a draft that doesn't have any franchise QBs would set us up with 3 1st round picks and 2 2nd round picks in a draft that is loaded at the QB position and other offensive positions. We would set up a solid base of 3-4 personnel with my fantasy draft and would have 5 picks in the opening two rounds of the 2011 draft. Seems like a good haul to me.

Why do so many people feel that Braford is the guy at QB? Seriously, if we have the choice between Clausen and Bradford and we select Bradford, I will be genuinely furious. The guy simply isn't that good. And I can guarantee you that he doesn't possess the QB skills of Clausen. And to boot, Bradford is a pansy. This guy shouldnt even be considered over Clausen.

Not sure where your getting your info. Most draft boards have Bradford and Clausen rated equal with Bradford slightly ahead. Most mock drafts that I have seen have us taking Bradford if we chose a QB. The majority of the draft experts feel as though Bradford would have been the number 1 pick had he entered the draft last year. His accuracy is unbelievable. He has a shoulder issue that needs to be evaluated of course but I haven't heard of anyone that thinks it will affect his draft status or ability to play the position.

As far as Bradford being a pansy; that's a new one. I've never heard that before. I would have great concern drafting a QB out of Notre Dame.

Guest WVSKINFAN21

Could Haslett be talking about Vick? He seems to have a lot of the qualities Shannahan likes in his Qbs( mobility, decent on rollouts, able to make plays out of nothing ala Elway). Im not real crazy about the idea but just thought that if he made Jake Plummer a Pro Bowl Qb then what does he think he could do with Vick, who is a lot more talented than Plummer.

Jim Haslett was on the St. Louis radio station and suggested that the Redskins might take a veteran QB in free agency meaning we draft offensive line and 3-4 defensive personnel in the draft

Hmm theres another interpretation of this - might we be taking a veteran QB in free agency as a backup, rather than a starter? The FA quarterback lists I've seen aren't enticing (Matt Moore maybe but the Panthers will almost certainly keep him). I wondered a few weeks back what the situation was with Kevin Kolb who's occasionally been mentioned in trade talks.

Could Haslett be talking about Vick? He seems to have a lot of the qualities Shannahan likes in his Qbs( mobility, decent on rollouts, able to make plays out of nothing ala Elway). Im not real crazy about the idea but just thought that if he made Jake Plummer a Pro Bowl Qb then what does he think he could do with Vick, who is a lot more talented than Plummer.

I've always wanted Vick on the team. He would add much need energy to the offense and would also take pressure off the OL with his escapability. I really think the skins should get faster in the backfield.

Also, I'm still not sold on this receiving core. By the time Kelly breaks out, Moss and Randle El will be eons past their prime. The WR core needs an upgrade too. They need to find that "Mike Wallace" in the third round this year. But OL needs to be addressed probably with the first 1 or 2 picks in the draft.

Archived