Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanny and the OTA's...What does he expect?

skinnyles

Slow news day so I was wondering if anyone knows of Shannys off season philosophy towards OTA's and such? There are a couple of "the U" guys who arent OTA friendly. Also does anyone know what we can expect this year in terms of extra mini's due to our new coaching?

Every team w/ new HC gets an additional Minicamp, most use it for veterans. I'm not 100% certain what to expect as it relates to OTA's, but Shanny is detail oriented and is known for having practices at a high speed. He's also known for not overworking players with pads etc, but he does expect practice to be run at game tempo.

I don't think he'll tolorate OTA skipping either. Teams learn alot in OTA's, then use training camp for installs and evaluation. I can't imagine the new man in charge would permit people completely new to his system to skip. He'll be closer to Gibbs, but more strict in that department than Gibbs was. He definitely won't let the Laron MIA show happen on his watch.

There are a couple of "the U" guys who arent OTA friendly.

I still don't understand this animosity against "the U" players...

seriously has ANY of them ever shown up to camp out of shape?

Actually I think Portis conditioning got worse as he stayed up here around town for the workout.

Also I think you mean the "the U" players arent "workout" friendly around the team facilities... I didn't think they had hard time showing up for the actual OTAs.

For me, this is a time will tell thing. I do want to see how CP is handled. If he still has an open door to Snyder, then it will be more of the same. If he doesn't, then I expect we will see a lot of change this year.

I am hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. Hey, I am a Skins fan and that's how we do business.

Good info kap....did you use to follow Denver?

My roomate is a Broncos fan and I remember when CP first came to DC he used to make alot of references about how he felt worn down midway through his first season because Gibbs had them still practicing full pads midway through the season. He wasn't saying it in a disrespectful way, he was just saying how the players are spend before the game on Sundays. then in year two Gibbs relented slightly because he said he had a better feel for his core players and how to work them without burning them out.

Schlereth also talks about how Shanny knows exactly how much to get out of each player before he drives them over the cliff. He said it was one of the things he remembered that was very different about Den vs his DC time. Stink says both teams were hard working but the coaches approached it from different angles.

Stink also says there's no wasted motion in a Shanny practice. Says everything is relevant and they go game speed until they get it right, then it's on to the next play. Stink says Shanny doesn't believe in letting poorly performed plays make it through a practice. He wants each play executed properly before moving ont o the next.

My roomate is a Broncos fan and I remember when CP first came to DC he used to make alot of references about how he felt worn down midway through his first season because Gibbs had them still practicing full pads midway through the season. He wasn't saying it in a disrespectful way, he was just saying how the players are spend before the game on Sundays. then in year two Gibbs relented slightly because he said he had a better feel for his core players and how to work them without burning them out.

Schlereth also talks about how Shanny knows exactly how much to get out of each player before he drives them over the cliff. He said it was one of the things he remembered that was very different about Den vs his DC time. Stink says both teams were hard working but the coaches approached it from different angles.

Stink also says there's no wasted motion in a Shanny practice. Says everything is relevant and they go game speed until they get it right, then it's on to the next play. Stink says Shanny doesn't believe in letting poorly performed plays make it through a practice. He wants each play executed properly before moving ont o the next.

Every team w/ new HC gets an additional Minicamp, most use it for veterans. I'm not 100% certain what to expect as it relates to OTA's, but Shanny is detail oriented and is known for having practices at a high speed. He's also known for not overworking players with pads etc, but he does expect practice to be run at game tempo.

I don't think he'll tolorate OTA skipping either. Teams learn alot in OTA's, then use training camp for installs and evaluation. I can't imagine the new man in charge would permit people completely new to his system to skip. He'll be closer to Gibbs, but more strict in that department than Gibbs was. He definitely won't let the Laron MIA show happen on his watch.

Thanks Kapp!! Awesome info!

Slow news day so I was wondering if anyone knows of Shannys off season philosophy towards OTA's and such? There are a couple of "the U" guys who arent OTA friendly. Also does anyone know what we can expect this year in terms of extra mini's due to our new coaching?

Shanny doesn't take too kindly to people missing OTA's or camp time.

I'd expect 100% attendence or else.

And rightfully so.

The max is 14 days although as a new HC, I believe Shanny can have 15. Zorn used 12 last season.

I don't know if that number has changed since 2008 but....

http://coloradosportsdesk.com/wp/archives/2008/08/qa-with-mike-shanahan-and-dewayne-robertson-8508/

On QB Jay Cutler

“He has been doing this for awhile. As you know we had 17 OTA days and he was very impressive. The more reps a quarterback gets the better he feels. When we put him in some game situations like we have been doing out here, he gets to experience some of this before our preseason games. He feels more comfortable with the system and more comfortable with himself. He has been doing a good job and hopefully it shows up.”

I don't know if that number has changed since 2008 but....

http://coloradosportsdesk.com/wp/archives/2008/08/qa-with-mike-shanahan-and-dewayne-robertson-8508/

On QB Jay Cutler

“He has been doing this for awhile. As you know we had 17 OTA days and he was very impressive. The more reps a quarterback gets the better he feels. When we put him in some game situations like we have been doing out here, he gets to experience some of this before our preseason games. He feels more comfortable with the system and more comfortable with himself. He has been doing a good job and hopefully it shows up.”

I didn't look at 2008 but that was the allowable number in 2009.

I think he'll expect all the players be here for OTA's. No more of this skipping out on the OTA's and then coming in to training camp out of shape. Which is what we need.

Atlast! Displine and a coach that won't take any crap from drama queen players.

Moss better have his @ss at camp and not think about OTA anywhere else.

Coach has already expressed his opinions in off-season conditioning. I would expect anyone that really wants to play for the Redskins next year will show up or have another offseason program pre-approved by the Coach.

The Broncos always had 98% turnout during the offseason. They do lots of fun **** too, bowling etc. In Denver after the final cuts they would have a huge party at Shanny's house. You'd hear rookies and FA say during camp that they just wanted to be there at Shanny's party, meaning they made the team.

I hope Landry shows up this offseason. If he doesn't, I hope he is at least man enough to call Shanahan and explain why he isn't there. There is no good excuse for dodging your head coach when he's trying to contact you. The only reason you'd do it is because you have no excuse for not showing up. It's a sign of immaturity.

Archived