Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

To the notion of drafting LT

Looking For Number Four

Jason Peters gave the most sacks in the league and was named to the Pro Bowl, therefore, I don't think Joe Thomas being selected to his second is the end all of end all there. Most proclaimed him as being well worth his pick and could undoubtedly anchor a o-line.

Not so fast, CLE last season, with a seasoned Joe Thomas gave up 13 less sacks than our beloved make shift line, 30. Here is the complete breakdown:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Was our line better than what is being proclaimed, no...not really. Is drafting Okung going to pull it altogether? Maybe. Jake Long certainly has for Miami. But I think that deeming Okung a sure thing and the more intelligent move with the 4th pick is not necessarily true. Perhaps the debate should be more ambiguous than what is widely declarded. I don't think Okung is Jake Long, I randomly watched a Mich. game in 2007 and without any knowledge of Jake Long saw him literally plowing people over for Mike Hart. Perhaps Okung did the same and I missed it, their run game has been ranked top notch for the past couple years.

I think Brown slips to us in the second, as an avid USC fan I also watched him decimate line after line. Sure, USC was pretty terrible this year but it was not their offense.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/559356

Brown, a 6-foot-6, 285-pound senior from Chino Hills, Calif., was named a first-team All-Pac-10 performer in voting by the Pac-10 head coaches and is a first-team All-America selection. He is a two-year starter for USC and has started all 12 games this season at left tackle. Behind the offensive line, the Trojans averaged 173.3 yards per game rushing and allowed only 17 quarterback sacks all year.

Some mocks say yes, some no:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock

Jason Fox would not be a terrible consolation prize:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1116608

Fox started 47 games in his Miami career. Only William Joseph (50) and Ed Reed (48) had more in their tenure with the Hurricanes, who will shift Orlando Franklin to left tackle in Fox's place.

He is ranging between pick 23 and 54:

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/nfl_draft_prospect/Jason_Fox/2071

Ciron Black also is going to be sitting there, on average going at 33:

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/y/nfl-draft/positions/offensive-tackles.php

We are the second most likely team to get him:

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com/nfl_draft_prospect/Ciron_Black/2072

Complete break down of this beast:

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?Prospect_ID=1666&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FFToolboxNFLDraft+(FFToolbox+NFL+Draft+Updates)

Black also projects well to the NFL, and not just because he is extremely durable. In the mold of most LSU linemen, Black stands at an imposing 6'5'' and 322 pounds. He runs in the mid-5.3s of the 40-yard dash and has been clocked faster than 5.30 at that distance; impressive speed for a man of his size. Scouts will also love the fact that Black is an outstanding person off the field who excels in the classroom.

Shanny loves fast tackles....

The Football Outsiders link you gave for your argument that Cleveland's line was worse than ours, has Washington rated below Cleveland in every category.

Plus, most of the teams around the top of each their lists have at least 1 OL they spent a 1st on.

I personally think trading down would be our best option, but whatever Shanny-Allen do in the draft, I will support it.

Interestingly enough, there's a rumor on ESPN Insider right now (I don't have Insider or I'd post it) that the Rams may trade with the Eagles for Michael Vick, and then draft Suh.

If that happens, the Lions probably take Okung, McCoy or Berry, and the Bucs probably one of the other two there, since those teams already have Matt Stafford and Josh Freeman. Meaning that we're in play for every QB on the board. I don't know if it's a weak class for QB's or not, but I'd feel a lot better if Clausen was there, and our scouting department was able to consider EVERY option at the position.

Interestingly enough, there's a rumor on ESPN Insider right now (I don't have Insider or I'd post it) that the Rams may trade with the Eagles for Michael Vick, and then draft Suh.

If that happens, the Lions probably take Okung, McCoy or Berry, and the Bucs probably one of the other two there, since those teams already have Matt Stafford and Josh Freeman. Meaning that we're in play for every QB on the board. I don't know if it's a weak class for QB's or not, but I'd feel a lot better if Clausen was there, and our scouting department was able to consider EVERY option at the position.

It would make sense for St. Louis, since they're in need of everything. At that point, I can't see the Lions not taking Okung, what with the Stafford injury this year, they probably want to keep him on his feet for the future.

I agree, if we do take a QB 1st, I'll feel much better knowing we didn't get "stuck" with the guy that's left and have to take him just because he was there. I'm still hoping for a trade down.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/8C70C404D9ECF4EA862576AC000FD865?OpenDocument

The ESPN thing is based on this article, which isn't a rumor, just speculation-there's a big difference between the two, and it'd be nice if ESPN realized that. Someone just saying "hey maybe (fill in the blank) might do something" doesn't qualify as a "rumor".

If I had to choose between Okung at #4 (or anywhere in the Top 10 really) and multiple 2nd rate prospects between teh end of the 1st round and the beginning of the 3rd round, I would definitely take the latter.

But then, I'd rather take Okung at #4 than Bradford in the 1st 3 rounds alone.

Was just going to say that. Don't know what the OP is looking at, but he's way off. Cleveland gave up 30 sacks, we gave up 46.

46 is really absurd, wow, really......

I still think Davis (Rutgers), Black (LSU), Brown (USC) or worse case scenerio Fox (Miami) is sitting there in the second round.....

If we don't go QB, stick with Campbell, or perhaps trade for Brady Quinn on the cheap (hey, just throwing it out there :D), I bet SEA trades their 6th and 14th to us for the 4th and our 4th in the second since they know we are going QB and they would be stuck with 35 year old Hasselback. With the 6th and 14th I would be willing to go without QB. Furthermore, if STL goes Vick then I bet either Claussen or Bradford is still there are #6.

I posted this earlier:

When they entered the 1998 draft, Manning and Leaf were widely considered to be the two best overall players in the draft.[7] The San Diego Chargers held the third pick of the draft, but made a trade with the Arizona Cardinals to guarantee their team would get one of the two quarterbacks. To move up to the second pick in the draft, the Chargers traded two first-round picks, a second-round pick, reserve linebacker Patrick Sapp and three-time Pro Bowler Eric Metcalf.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Leaf

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not likely to repeat, I know, but Carroll will want a franchise QB that is not on the verge of retiring and persistently hurt.

About an hour ago on the Area757 talk show, there was some discussion about the upside for the Rams taking Vick. Although I think this lessens the chance they would take Clausen, I don't think it completely removes it.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2010.php

Jimmy Clausen is unquestionably the top quarterback prospect in this draft. He threw for 28 touchdowns and only four picks on an 8.8 YPA and a 68.0 completion percentage this year. He's superior to Sam Bradford because he has a bigger arm and has spent three years in a West Coast offense. Bradford, on the other hand, is coming out of a shotgun spread offense and just had shoulder surgery. His arm strength is also very questionable. Clausen is a much better fit for St. Louis' offense than Bradford is.

:helmet:The Rook

He is better in the way the River is not Brady or Manning. He is physically more gifted perhaps... But Bradford is able to read, decide, and snap a quick release as good as any QB I have ever watched.... I think Clausen has great/good IQ but Bradford's is really high, IMO. When you look at him you instantly get this vibe he just chugged an AMP and looking at everything in pure analysis.... Both are studs, I think, surgery on throwing shoulder is my main concern.

I just think trading down really would grab us a TON for a team that believe that Bradford/Clausen is undboubtedly the next big thing, a TON! I would have to jump on that, perosnally.

Here's the ESPN insider rumor:

When the final whistle blew on the Philadelphia Eagles' season Saturday night, the trade rumors regarding Michael Vick heated up. Vick's performance against the Cowboys was a microcosm of his life over the past year; ups (a 76-yard TD strike to Jeremy Maclin) and downs (a lost fumble in the second quarter). The team is likely already soliciting offers for him in trade because based on his current pact with the Eagles, he's due a $1 million roster bonus if he's still with the team in March.

Responding to a fellow fellow Twitter user, NFL writer Adam Caplan tweeted recently that "#Raiders make some sense for Vick". The Raiders were one of the teams mentioned before the mid-season trade deadline, as well as last offseason when anyone could've signed him.

Update: The Rams could be in the mix now, too, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Rams GM Billy Devaney worked for the Falcons while Vick was with the team, and even visited No. 7 when he was behind bars. Morever, they desperately need a QB.

Vick told the Philadelphia Inquirer that he wants to be a starter, but would be fine sticking in Philly as a backup. For $5 million, we're sure he would be. Bodog currently has odds at 1/1 the Eagles will release him, 10/11 that he's traded, and 13/4 that they keep him for 2010.

If the Rams pass on Clausen, their front office should be looking for new jobs. They need a franchise QB in the worst way. Not a 30 year old retread.

There are several young QBs in the league that might be able to play at the NFL level.

Getting a young QB without a line is useless.

EDIT: I have been saying for 2 years the Redskins need to build the OL. :doh:

I personally think trading down would be our best option, but whatever Shanny-Allen do in the draft, I will support it.

I'm not one to blindly agree with them yet. Don't get me wrong, I'm super pumped about the new coach/gm, but I'm not just going to support whoever they pick. With no LT, RG or RT (and you could probably throw C in there too), I don't support the selecting of anything aside from an LT. I agree that trading down would be the best option, and I think if Suh drops we'll have a ton of options. But even if we can't trade, it has to be a tackle. It's too much of a pressing need. Anything else, I don't support.

Archived