Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My RB speculation: Willie Parker

TimmySmith

If you have read anything I have written on the upcoming draft you know I am a Spiller guy. The Skins have ZERO running game for next year. Right now, even in the best case (pre-FA), the Skins will have a makeshift O-line, an unproven QB and a bunch of back-ups at RB. Even the signing of a first round Olineman or Qb will not solve the dismal RB situation. I will forget about Spiller for one guy.

Willie Parker is a RFA. He has missed most of the last 2 years due to injury, which will make him cheap. But he appears to have something left in the tank as he finished the season with a 91 yard performance. Pittsburgh pretty much has stated in so many ways that he will not be resigned. They are Pittsburgh, afterall, plus the fact that they have groomed Mendenhall. The guy is 30 and is a perfect, 2-3+ year guy while the Skins get their house in order.

I'm all for it if he comes cheap. I don't want to give up a high pick. For a 6th or 7th he'd be a good pickup. He does have a problem with injurys but if we use several RBs then some of that could be avoided.

NO DRAFT Picks for ANY players past their prime ... not even a 7th. But since he will most likely be released, it wouldn't be a bad thing to invite him to camp to try out for a backup RB roster spot.

My RB ideas:

- Leon Washington

- Darren Sproles

- Chester Taylor

Of these, only Taylor will be a FA if the CBA is not suddenly renewed. He is 30, but a young 30 since he has only been the feature back for 2 full seasons.

However, I am completely confidant in the ability of our HC and GM to find a RB that will suffice.

I'm pretty sure Willie Parker is just about as done as Portis is.
I doubt it, Parker has 900 fewer carries, no concussion problems and will be about 3-4 million a season cheaper.

As far as age goes, Parker WILL BE 30 next season and is only a year older than Portis.

NO DRAFT Picks for ANY players past their prime ... not even a 7th. But since he will most likely be released, it wouldn't be a bad thing to invite him to camp to try out for a backup RB roster spot.
Riggins was past his prime when Gibbs brought him in. So was Gerald Riggs and George Rogers, so was Terry Allen. These guys had huge years. It's number of carries that is important. Most of the time missed by Parker in the last 2 years was for a broken leg. Broken bones heal 100%. The guys has miles left.

It floors me how many people want to invest any money or picks into "name" RBs when our new coaching staff has proven over a decade that it is capable of unearthing productive RBs that no one has ever heard of.

Especially in year 1 of this new era, I think I'd be perfectly happy seeing how our rag-tag group of Mason, Alridge, Ganther, and Betts could do in this offense. If it's obvious we need more pedigree at the position after the first year, then you go out and get it.

I think it would be a mistake to try to accumulate all the pieces prior to year 1. Gibbs did this and it cost us. He got CP, Brunell, etc. for draft picks when we might have been OK running his offense with Ramsey, Betts, and the money/picks we spent on those "names"...

It floors me how many people want to invest any money or picks into "name" RBs when our new coaching staff has proven over a decade that it is capable of unearthing productive RBs that no one has ever heard of.

Especially in year 1 of this new era, I think I'd be perfectly happy seeing how our rag-tag group of Mason, Alridge, Ganther, and Betts could do in this offense. If it's obvious we need more pedigree at the position after the first year, then you go out and get it.

I think it would be a mistake to try to accumulate all the pieces prior to year 1. Gibbs did this and it cost us. He got CP, Brunell, etc. for draft picks when we might have been OK running his offense with Ramsey, Betts, and the money/picks we spent on those "names"...

You're joking right? Portis was the only thing keeping the team together under Gibbs. Why do you think he's worn out? Those Gibbs teams go 4-12 without him.

You're joking right? Portis was the only thing keeping the team together under Gibbs. Why do you think he's worn out? Those Gibbs teams go 4-12 without him.

I'm not joking. You have no clue how the team would have performed over the entire 4-year period if they had gone into 2004 with Ramsey, Betts, Champ, the extra cap space, and the 2nd- and 3rd-round picks it took to acquire Brunell and Portis.

It doesn't mean that, prior to 2005, we couldn't have made upgrades if necessary. I just don't believe you have to go out and grab a bunch of names right off the bat BEFORE a new coach even starts implementing his system...especially at the cost of picks and cap space. I'd prefer seeing how year 1 goes with some minor changes, see what gems we might have on the current roster who might do better in the new system, and go from there.

It doesn't mean that, prior to 2005, we couldn't have made upgrades if necessary. I just don't believe you have to go out and grab a bunch of names right off the bat BEFORE a new coach even starts implementing his system...especially at the cost of picks and cap space. I'd prefer seeing how year 1 goes with some minor changes, see what gems we might have on the current roster who might do better in the new system, and go from there.
I am proposing a guy who I feel has incredible upside at a cheap price. Throwing a name out there for debate. I am aware that Shanny must OK the guy. I am also aware of Shanny's love for no namers. But make no mistake, Shanny's offensive system is built around the running game and there is not enough talent currently on the roster. Shanny loves home run hitters at RB, Parker fits that bill more than anyone else. I will admit that I would love to see Aldridge get a shot.

He would be an UFA, but there are none this year, so he becomes a RFA. I do not know if the compensation rules remain the same.

There are UFAs this year, you just need 6 years of service instead of the normal 4. It basically reverts to the old school rules that allowed teams to stay together for basically 6 years before worrying about replacing players. That is how QBs could sit 3 years and actually learn a system. I mean LEARN a system, where the QB can basically take the snap and know where each receiver will be before looking downfield.

There are UFAs this year, you just need 6 years of service instead of the normal 4.
My bad. So that puts Parker in the UFA category. I think there is very good chance he will find himself at Redskin Park at some point. The list of teams that need a starting RB is short.

Archived