Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My RB speculation: Willie Parker

TimmySmith

if we could sign him cheap - yes ..but most of these vets who have already proven something within the league are not looking to sign vet min
Vet min is out of the question, you are probably looking at 3-4 years, 10-15 million. All front loaded to take advantage of the uncapped year.

There is a good chance he is an RFA which is why I said a 6th or 7th pick for him.

it still means we give up a draft pick. I am against signing him in any way, shape or form ... that which involves us giving up a draft pick. he is not the solution, nor a suitable "stop-gap" at the backup RB position, IMO.

it still means we give up a draft pick. I am against signing him in any way, shape or form ... that which involves us giving up a draft pick. he is not the solution, nor a suitable "stop-gap" at the backup RB position, IMO.
He should be a UFA, no draft pick compensation. Plus with a front loaded contract in an uncapped year, you can pay him nothing (nearly) after the first year.

The Redskins shouldn't sign Willie Parker in free agency. Why sign a player whose best days are behind him? The Redskins could either draft a RB in the 4th or 5th round, or go with Marcus Mason who is a much better fit than Willie Parker. Remember Terrell Davis? T. Davis was a 6th round selection and look at how spectacular he performed in Shanahan's offense.

I doubt it, Parker has 900 fewer carries, no concussion problems and will be about 3-4 million a season cheaper.

As far as age goes, Parker WILL BE 30 next season and is only a year older than Portis.

Portis has guaranteed money coming next year no matter what, so your theory about Parker being 3-4 million cheaper doesn't hold water.

Just keep CP. You owe him the cash anyways. See if his pride finally kicks in, he shows some maturity, and he actually prepares for the season. He could still have one or two big years left in him IF he actually puts in the work instead of relying solely on his god-given ability.

I would be fine with that, too. Mason/Ganther/Betts would be the grinders, and Alridge would provide the home run hitting speed that we have been sorely lacking.

Yep. You could always make a move before 2011 if you found that your running game severely lacked talent. Realize that we'll probably be a pretty bad team (record-wise) next year and we have much larger fish to fry than RB.

Realize that we'll probably be a pretty bad team (record-wise) next year and we have much larger fish to fry than RB.
8-8 last year with a healthy Portis having a good year, 4-12 this year with a band of misfits. Same QB, Coach, and Oline. RB is a huge priority and I am sure Shanny knows its. It may not be Parker, but the Skins will not go into the season with one of these guys starting. Parker was simply my suggestion of a guy who will be looked at.

1) Unless we're able to unload CP with no cap, he's here to stay.

2) Don't give up ANY pick for Willie Parker. He's older than CP and we only have 6 picks in this year's draft.

3) Pittsburgh might release him outright. Why give them a pick (as a RFA) and just wait until he is released.

4) Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Shanahan recommend Anthony Aldridge to us last year? Because he liked his speed? There's your speed back.

5) Use our 4th or 5th rounder to take a college back like McCluster.

1) Unless we're able to unload CP with no cap, he's here to stay.

2) Don't give up ANY pick for Willie Parker. He's older than CP and we only have 6 picks in this year's draft.

3) Pittsburgh might release him outright. Why give them a pick (as a RFA) and just wait until he is released.

4) Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Shanahan recommend Allen Aldridge to us last year? Because he liked his speed? There's your speed back.

5) Use our 4th or 5th rounder to take a college back like McCluster.

I don’t know if Shanahan recommended Allen Aldridge but I think he did recommend Anthony Alridge.

The Beaver County Times reports that Fast Willie Parker might ask for starter money. Which would be a waste. Personally, I wouldn't sign him at all, even if you suggest 10-15 million is the range.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2010/january/12/free-agent-frenzy-who-stays-who-goes.html

WILLIE PARKER, RB Many teams have two quality backs on their roster, and as “Fast Willie” showed in the last two games, he’s still capable. But Parker wants to start, and that won’t happen here. He also wants starter’s money, and that won’t happen here either. Return: Questionable at best

Archived