Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do we even have "Core Players"?

RAKemUP98

Do the Redskins even have a solid group of "Core" players to build around?

Who are the players on this team that are dead ringers for the next 5 years?

Orakpo and..? Haynesworth? Fred Davis? Devin Thomas?

Hard to find ANY players on the current roster that are indispensable.

Do the Redskins even have a solid group of "Core" players to build around?

Who are the players on this team that are dead ringers for the next 5 years?

Orakpo and..? Haynesworth? Fred Davis? Devin Thomas?

Hard to find ANY players on the current roster that are indispensable.

Sure we do. Orakpo, Haynesworth, Cooley, Davis, Fletcher, etc.

I'd say Orakpo, Cooley, Davis, Thomas, and Flecher.

Man, I love Fletcher.. I really do.

But, he will be 35 in May.

Hard to believe he will be playing at this same level at 40 years old.

Unless hes the next Monte Coleman/Darrell Green.. And I hope he is!

Orakpo and thats it. Thats is the only person that you can say with 99% certainty, he will be here in 5 years

Hate to say it, but that's the truth. 2 years from now I'm not sure anyone on this team will still be around aside from Orakpo. Cooley has trade talks again, and Devin Thomas may not continue his progression after his solid 2nd season. On defense, hopefully we re-sign Rocky Mac but I still don't see him as an elite player to build a team around ala Orakpo.

Aside from those mentioned names, no one on the team stands out one bit as a "core player".

And think back in 2005 we seemed to have a core of Portis, Moss, Cooley, Taylor, and Marcus Washington.

Graham Gano.

I cannot believe you *******s left out Gano.

UH UH, GANO YOU DI'INT!!!

Gano is OFFICIALLY a core player!!

And I think Jarmon is definitely a player the Skins will keep around. But he is certainly not a core player at this point in his career.

I'm pretty sure the OP means core as in "players to build around for the next five years and into the future." Fletcher doesn't count, as critical as he is to this team right now.

On defense: Orakpo, Haynesworth, McIntosh, and possibly Doughty, Horton, and/or Moore.

On offense: Davis, Cooley, Devin, hopefully Malcolm.

How sad is it that the offensive core players are only pass-catchers?

edit: Forgot Jarmon (hopefully).

By the way, I don't think "core player" means "indispensable". It always meant players young enough and good enough to help create a foundation for the next x-amount of years.

My "Core Players" list would include:

Orakpo

Cooley

Davis

Thomas

Haynesworth

McIntosh

"Bubble" core players:

Horton

Doughty

Alexander

Golston

Give 'em one more year and some good coaching and they might be (maybe):

Landry

Kelly

Tryon

Rinehart

Moore

Jarmon

Too soon to say, but you never know:

Mitchell

Gano

Barnes

It's a fair question but with regime change all bets are off as to who will be here next season let alone five seasons from now. Coles looked like a core guy in 2003, became unhappy in Gibbs' offense and was traded in 2005.

I'd say we have to wait a season with Shanahan and see who he keeps and how they perform before this question can even remotely be answered. Right now people just like to name their pet players who are under 30. Who knows if any of them will be here in 2 years?

I'm not sure about Fletcher being part of the core for the next five years due to his age. The rest of the list looks good. Not great, but it's a start.

I dunno, Junior Seau is still playing 19 years in the league - Fletcher has NEVER MISSED A GAME and has only been in 12 years. I could see Fletcher retiring as a Redskin

Offensively, I would say Dockery is the only holdover on the OL. Then you have a solid young group of receivers with Thomas, Kelly, and Mitchell. Of course you have Moss. We have good depth at TE with Cooley, Davis, and Yoder. I'm not so sure about our RBs or FBs.

Defensively, Griffin, Carter, Rak, Wilson, Gholston, Fletcher, McIntosh, Blades, Horton, Doughty, Moore, Smoot, Barnes, Westbrook, and Alexander.

I'm not sure if this defines "core", but these are good players both young and old to build around.

I think the thing that disappoints me is that in all of those lists the players that are listed are not in skill positions; I'm not saying that they aren't important but the only core player we seem to be agreeing on is Cooley but a TE is not going to be a primary receiver nor primary ball handler. I'd love to say that Moss is in our core, but I'm not sure that he's even going to remain our primary receiver especially after the performance this year; which I still haven't figured out if it was Campbell's fault or Moss'.

Archived