Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Making Sacrafices to Rebuild; My Plan

HRNY4ZRNY

If the MOD's see fit to merge this somewhere feel free. I've put some thoughts into what the Redskins need to do to rebuild. I really don't think a ton of people will agree with me but I would like to see what people say about my idea.

Here are the 3 main things the Redskins must address in the offseason.

1. Rebuilding a OL. We need at least 4 new Offensive Lineman.

2. Get a "play-maker" on offense

3. Get some good depth on Defense and fill in needs. (FS, CB, DT, LB)

With our Draft coming up and only having 5 picks, the best thing you can hope for is our first 2 picks becoming starters on opening day. The other late round picks will probably be projects you can't count on yet.

Thats why I propose we bite the bullet and make some trades. Here is my idea and probably alot of people won't agree.

We need to trade Chris Cooley and Fred Davis. You might think why both of them? I really feel like drastic times call for drastic measures. For the record I love Cooley and have his jersey. This is purely just a way to rebuild our team.

We would only trade Cooley if we could get a 2nd and a 5th and we would only trade Davis for a 2nd and a 4th. Davis is younger and I would want a 4th not a 5th.

Tony Scheffler is a free agent so I would think Shannahan would be comfortable with him and he would come here to work with his ex coach. We are going to take a hit in the TE department but what would you rather have great TE's but a cruddy OL?

Also Owen Daniels is a FA aswell, Kyle Shannahan would be comfortable with him.

I would approach the draft trying to trade down and either pick up 2 late 1st rounders or get an extra 2nd round pick. With the trades and trade down I proposed here is what our Draft would look like.

1st, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 5th and 7th.

That is 10 picks that can find great OL and playmakers. So here is how I would draft if the players and positions are still on the board with good value.

1st- CJ Spiller,

I know people will freak if we take a RB but I look at Spiller as a playmaker. He can catch the ball out of the back field he can line up as a WR and can really take pressure off our QB.

2nd- LT

2nd- RT

2nd- RG

2nd- C

Spend all four 2nd rounders on OL if they are there. This will be a immediate upgrade over what we have currently. Also it will help our run game which will feature our new back.

4th- RB (speedy back if someone is there)

4th- DT

On all of my final picks you really need to go BPA but here are the positions I would want.

5th- FS

5th- LB

7th- K

When it comes to free agency will fill in any remaining holes with low cost players. Players that are still hungry to become great players in the league. If we could get a Brandon Marshall or Vincent Jackson I would be fine with either of those guys.

So opening day we would have a revamped OL, a playmaker in CJ Spiller taking some pressure of Jason Campbell.

Either Brandon Marshall or Vincent Jackson as our true #1 WR. That moves Santana Moss to the slot. Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly as your 3 and 4 receiver.

Tony Scheffler as our pass catching TE with Yoder as our blocking TE and a red zone option.

Defensively, we have hopefully found a great FS in FA that can move Landry back to SS.

A healthier more fit Haynesworth with Shannahan making sure of that.

That is my vision of what this team could be what do you think?

We need to trade Chris Cooley and Fred Davis.

Trade one of them: good move. Both? We would need to spend a draft pick on a TE.... putting us back where we started

Edit: and the Sheffler thing won't work seeing as he and most other FA's are going to become RFA's without a salary cap.

I stopped reading right there.

Trade one of them: good move. Both? We would need to spend a draft pick on a TE.... putting us back where we started

Yeah, I agree. If I had to choose, I'd keep Davis b/c of his age and health.

I love Cooley though. However, since Shanahan was hired, I' starting to wonder which of our players won't work well in a strict & disciplined structure. Cooley and Portis are always the first two players I think of that might not do well. They're jokers. I know they show up on game day and crack skulls. Just sayin...

Edit: and the Sheffler thing won't work seeing as he is going to become an RFA without a salary cap.

Well, he was suggesting we sign Sheffler, who wouldn't be a UFA in an uncapped year. Maybe he's assuming a new CBA or a trade for him (he'll probably be moved). Either way, I applaud the kind of 'outside the box' thinking, but don't really like the idea.

I like even less drafting a RB high, or the idea of spending 4 high picks on OL (that's just too much in one year).

Edit: and the Sheffler thing won't work seeing as he and most other FA's are going to become RFA's without a salary cap.

My only point is that we can get multiple picks for Cooley and Davis. A TE is not a position you have to have a pro bowl player. Id rather have a great OL and just get a TE in free agency.

My only point is that we can get multiple picks for Cooley and Davis. A TE is not a position you have to have a pro bowl player. Id rather have a great OL and just get a TE in free agency.

Yeah but without a new CBA, most free agent's will become restricted instead, making it hard to acquire a serviceable TE without trading picks.

Yeah but without a new CBA, most free agent's will become restricted instead, making it hard to acquire a serviceable TE without trading picks.

OK well thats a wrinkle I didn't think of... But just because someone is a RFA doesnt mean it is impossible to aquire them.

Although Ben Watson is one of the guys who will likely be available. If you could get good value for both Cooley and Davis, sign Watson, hold onto Yoder and find another decent TE prospect later in the draft, it's not the worst idea ever.

Still not endorsing it, though.

OK well thats a wrinkle I didn't think of... But just because someone is a RFA doesnt mean it is impossible to aquire them.

Yeah but we would have to give up picks to acquire a RFA so what would be the point of trading two TE's for picks then turning around and trading picks for another TE? That's silly. Keep the TE you like better of what we have.

IMO this is giving up too much just to try and garner a lot of draft picks in one year. I don;t want to hedge my bets on one (this) draft class ... and letting go of our top offensive weapon(s). This is where we have depth. We should certainly listen to all offers, and I;m not opposed to it should we get multiple picks out of a trade of one of these guys, but certainly not both. Who says we won't struggle to fill those spots once we let them go?

First off... Congrats on having the balls to post this... Seriously. You're going to get flak, but I admire this as at LEAST you put forth some effort and thought into this thread.

Second, there are too many reasons not to trade both of them, as has been noted. Personally, I would trade neither of them. Let's run an offense that utilizes an HB and a TE. A version of the WCO.

Anytime we get a backup who performs well, we seem to have this need to trade them. I'd prefer NOT trading our solid players. Either one can be utilized as a split end sometimes as well. It would be a solid, solid offensive attack with both of them as weapons.

The team should definitely consider trading any player if it works to improving the team overall. However, I don't see the desirability in trading two pass catching TEs. The WCO run by Shanny does well with a good TE. If you trade both of those guys then you'd need to replace the player. Davis has greater speed than Cooley and may be a better route runner now.....although Cooley does extremely well in finding the soft spot in zone coverage. Nevertheless, unless Shanahan can find a way to use both TEs at the same time there is wasted talent. I'd advocate trading one if the Skins can get adequate value.

I would not pick a RB at #4 or even with a trade down in the first round. It would be great if the Skins can trade down to pick up extra picks. Unfortunately, top 5 picks are often difficult to get rid of given the high salaries.

If DT Suh were available at #4, I'd consider trading Haynesworth for a first round pick + extra if it were possible to unload his contract and have any cap hit taken care of in 2010 without future repurcussions. Of course, trades usually only get done if you can see who is going to available when your draft pick comes up. Otherwise, the Skins might get lots of draft picks in a round when the top talent is only WRs.

Dont trade BOTH TEs. I love what Cooley has done BUT you cant downplay what Davis did. Everyone says that this player or that needs to step up AND HE DID. Cooley still holds value cause of what he did 2 yrs ago. KEEP DAVIS

Scheffler and alot of other would be FAs would turn to RFAs for their clubs WHEN we go uncapped. I believe we will, so thats what I base my thoughts on. I agree about your point on Sceff knowing Shannys system BUT we cant become the Broncos 2.0 based on that.

Going forward in an UNCAPPED year takes all the younger FAs off the board. We will not be the only club to "clean house" so expect more OLD vets to be available. Dumping bad contract of underperforming players will be the trend.

Players cut: PORTIS, ARE, Sellers, Collins and Samuels (retirement)

FAs: Willie Parker and Kevin Maewai (old but better then Rabach and can see him as a OL coach after his playing days) Rex Groseman. Possibility would be Derek Anderson.

DRAFT would be this: Trade Cooley, Moss, Kelly and Landry to the Dolphins for their 1st (#12), 2nd (#44) *and maybe Jake Grove(then no need for Kevin Maewai)

#4-Bryan Bulaga OT-Iowa

#12(via MIA) Trade down w/ SF for #17 and OT Joe Staley who isnt starting

#17 (via SF) Myron Rolle S-Fl.St NOT ranked this high but dont care, replaces Landry and is a Rhodes scholarship winner so he didnt play this year, instead studied at Harvard I believe. Means hes SMART, will be a student of the game and be a coach on the field for the secondary. Thats why I take him regardless. He was a BEAST the year b4 (6'2" 220#)

#36 Jordan Shipley WR-Texas. Replaces Kelly and runs great routes and faster then you think. JUST PRODUCES, 2 tds from the back up GREAT RETURNER so replaces ARE also.

#44 Toby Gerhart RB-Stanford Weird to grab him @44 (Riggins clone). Bruiser that will where down defenses, AGILE and hurdles would be tacklers that go low. Will get the short yardage and many TDs. After you bang on the D w/ this guy, insert Parker and snap some long runs. BEST 1-2 punch ( I learned this from Gibbs 1.0)

4th RD- JD Walton C-Baylor Prospect who could learn behind K.Maewie or Grove

5th RD- Toney Moeaki TE-Iowa. Dude is awesome and replaces Cooley

6th Rd- None (Jason Taylor) I believe

7th RD- WHOEVER

To cap this we get OL (Maewai (or Grove), Staley, Baluga and Walton). Play makers in Shipley and Gerhart. Prospects in Walton and Moeaki.

NEXT year I would take Ricky Stanzi at QB (Iowa) watched that bowl game and runs a pro style w/ rollouts similar to Shanny. Dropped some passes in w/ GREAT touch.

I am NOT an Iowa fan but live in Big 10 country. I can say that they are WELL coached an put more then a fair share of players in the NFL.

This is what is going to happen: We are going to fall in love with a QB and we will trade to 1 or 2 overall to get him- because with teams like Cleveland, Oakland, Seattle and SF all probably wanting a QB, our guy wont be there at 4.

Oakland will have Gradkowski, Seattle will not trade up w/Hasselback, if one is there then fine. They do need to look to the future.

NO WAY do we trade up :doh:

Flock53- No way to Rex Grossman rather have Derek Anderson.

Grossman will be able to compete, is a solid vet and if nothing else an upgrade over Collins IMO. I would rather have DA also but would have to hope they dump him while cleaning house. A.Smith may be another one dumped that we can get cheaper and is athletic to do the roll outs.

No RB in the first.

Even if we get an elite one, like Chris Johnson or Jones-Drew, it still doesn't mean anything in the W/L column.

An elite QB is much more important than a great RB.

THERE are NO elite QBs or RBs for that matter. We DO NEED OL. My plan covers it all.

THERE are NO elite QBs or RBs for that matter. We DO NEED OL. My plan covers it all.

I like the idea of getting a ton of picks. I agree with you on that premise overall.

There is no way we are trading both of the TEs.

And if we go RB in the first round, I will go postal at a local shopping mall.

A first round RB is a waste. This is a passing league now, and SB teams over the last ten years understand that you can win with a RB by committee.

You absolutely cannot win for any extended period of time with QB by committee, or with only an average one.

If you ignore the QB position, your best hope is for one Rex Grossman, Trent Dilfer year. Then back to sucking hard for the next several.

It makes absolutely no sense to trade some of your best talent to get picks that, at best have a 50% chance of turning into a good player. Cooley's injury proved why you need several talented players at every position. Wes imply don't have any "spare" talent and it's very hard to evaluate any given player since we don't even know yet what kind of schemes we'll be running next year. This is particularly the case with secondary players like Landry, Rogers, Hall. We know that we have talent on defense but probably didn't get as much out of it because of the scheme run by Blache.

For once, we need to simply accept that we are rebuilding and not make many precipitous moves. The "we must win this year" mentality has hurt us more than anything. That led to the disastrous trade, for example, for Mark Brunell. If Gibbs had simply stayed with Ramsey and evaluated he likely would have seen after a year that we needed a new QB. That next year was the best year in decades for QB's and we could have drafted from the pool of Rivers/Manning/Rothlisberger. Desperation to win THIS year led to pointless trades for Lloyd, Jason Taylor, Kendall, Duckett -- that was a ton of picks.

I think that there are only a couple of players on the Skins anybody would even give up decent picks for to begin with and I think we're better with them than not.

Archived