Extremeskins

ESPN: Gannon offers help to Raiders

DixieFlatline

Do you heart tomatoes?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Do you heart tomatoes?

• yum yum gimme some
    • barf
    • come on missu, first poin-sett-uh, now this???

and they blow him off. I can't believe they responded that way.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4805387

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Rich Gannon won't be offering his help to the Oakland Raiders again any time soon.

A day after the Raiders rebuffed an offer of help from their former quarterback, Gannon said on Sirius NFL Radio on Thursday that "I won't make that call again."

Gannon said on his show Wednesday that he had called team owner Al Davis to offer any help for the organization and struggling young quarterback JaMarcus Russell. The Raiders responded that Gannon was the one who needed help.

Gannon won the 2002 league MVP for the Raiders, leading them to the Super Bowl that season. Oakland has lost at least 11 games in all seven seasons since -- the longest such streak in NFL history.

What do you expect from the Raiders? One of the most inept franchises around- even worse than the Redskins at this point. At the very least, Snyder had someone in Vinny Cerrato who had previous success as a GM- yes we soured on him but he did a good job in San Francisco. For all intents and purposes, Davis has not had someone like that since Gruden left and could be running the entire show.

Gannon went out on a limb- he could definitely help that team and Russell- but this just shows that Davis and Co. have no business running that team.

You stay classy Oakland/Al Davis. :doh:

The best QB you've had in years, the last one you had when you were a respectable team, offers to take time out of his schedule to help your bust of a QB and team in any way he can, and you blow him off like that? What a bunch of ***clowns ...

Ouch!!:rubeyes: I think it was a very stand-up thing for Rich to do.

Clearly JaMarcus Russell needs H-E-L-P and tons of it. I'm not a JR or Rraiders fan.In the game we played against them,I felt bad for the guy. I know he's not in the best shape (putting it mildly) but he can get into shape during the off season.With the comeback that Vince Young made ,this should inspire JR that if he puts in the work it could happen for him as well.

P.S-JaMarcus there's no rule that says YOU can't work out with Rich on your own time;)

I'm confused. Are they really that messed up?

Honestly, I can't wrap my head around this... maybe Gannon said it in a arrogant manner or something. Are they really that delirious?

Has Gannon talked crap about their coaches on the radio previously or something? Maybe they took it as him saying they all suck and need his help.

Has Gannon talked crap about their coaches on the radio previously or something? Maybe they took it as him saying they all suck and need his help.

That is exactly what he did.

He trashed Davis, Cable and Russell earlier this year very pubically and they definitely haven't forgiven him

I'm confused. Are they really that messed up?

Honestly, I can't wrap my head around this... maybe Gannon said it in a arrogant manner or something. Are they really that delirious?

I live out here and sadly, yes, they are REALLY that messed up. Al Davis is flat-out senile, but he's running an NFL team. Gannon called him to offer help, being genuine, and Davis took offense and insulted him for no reason.

Raiders fans bought a billboard ad near the stadium here, begging for a real GM. Makes me feel lucky that we have Snyder, by comparison.

What do you expect from the Raiders? One of the most inept franchises around- even worse than the Redskins at this point. At the very least, Snyder had someone in Vinny Cerrato who had previous success as a GM- yes we soured on him but he did a good job in San Francisco. For all intents and purposes, Davis has not had someone like that since Gruden left and could be running the entire show.

Gannon went out on a limb- he could definitely help that team and Russell- but this just shows that Davis and Co. have no business running that team.

To be fair, Snyder wishes he was Al Davis. Al Davis was a professional football coach and has been the GM of the Raiders since the 60's, putting together 3 SB winning teams. I know he's rubbed people the wrong way for almost half a century now, but the man is a HOFer for a reason.

The problem is, he's 80 years old and senile. It's kind of sad actually.

To be fair, Snyder wishes he was Al Davis. Al Davis was a professional football coach and has been the GM of the Raiders since the 60's, putting together 3 SB winning teams. I know he's rubbed people the wrong way for almost half a century now, but the man is a HOFer for a reason.

The problem is, he's 80 years old and senile. It's kind of sad actually.

There's no doubt he was a brilliant football man and a pioneer at one time. But yeah, he's completely out of his mind at this point.

Jeez, Al Davis has been out of his mind "Since" the 60's. He honestly thought the AFL would take over the NFL. He's sued the league several times. He's moved his team twice. Despite the team being successful and winning 3 SB's, they've only been a factor a couple of times since the early 80's. The played the Bills for the AFC title in 1992 and went to the SB and got demolished in 2002. Davis has been one crazy cat since the 60's. He still goes by the "Commitment to Excellece" mantra. He still thinks the way to go with a QB is the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th coming of Daryll Lamonica. He thinks his team can throw 80 yard bombs and intimidate other teams. They only end up throwing incomplete and leading the league in penalties. He plays 70's football in 2010. He's nuts. Always has been, always will be. Let him and his team rot in football pergatory.

Oh, and he wears jumpsuits, wears ID bracelets, has granny glasses holders and still uses an overhead projector. Remember the overhead projector a few years ago?

didn't the raiders successfully ban gannon from calling their games this season (after he was critical of them during a particular broadcast)?? this wasn't the first rodeo between the two... even if gannon's heart was in the right place, and I believe it was, probably could have predicted their response based on their recent turmoil...

That is exactly what he did.

He trashed Davis, Cable and Russell earlier this year very pubically and they definitely haven't forgiven him

didn't the raiders successfully ban gannon from calling their games this season (after he was critical of them during a particular broadcast)?? this wasn't the first rodeo between the two... even if gannon's heart was in the right place, and I believe it was, probably could have predicted their response based on their recent turmoil...

I had a feeling this was the case. I think everyone just hears "Raiders FO" nowadays and just assumes the worst for whatever comes after it, lol.

Little shot at the skins here lol

"we're supposed to believe that Rich Gannon magnanimously called over to the Raiders to offer his unsolicited help to JaMarcus Russell? (Plus, when did Rich Gannon turn into Vince Lombardi? I mean, the Redskins are pretty bad but you don't see Mark Rypien trying to play the role of knight in shining armor.) "

From Y! Sports LOL

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Rich-Gannon-insincerely-offers-to-help-Raiders-?urn=nfl,212391

Archived