Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite part of the day? For me, Shanahan's contract

DCsportsfan53

Did a search, didn't see anything about this and no one in the media is really talking about it. The single most encouraging thing (among MANY encouraging things) that came about with the announcement today was the details of Shany's contract. 5 years, 7 mil per, with the Broncos coughing up some of it as well. To me, this is a market contract. He's not even getting a raise on what he was making in Denver. Take a moment and let that sink in, if that doesn't indicate that Bruce Allen has been given significant authority and that the FO is developing a view of the big picture then nothing does. To me, if the guy at the tippy top got paid market value and wasn't overpaid, that's a precedent that trickles down through the roster and is recognized by agents around the league. To people who pay attention, Bruce Allen just sent a very clear message.

Maybe, just maybe, we aren't the team to fleece anymore. Maybe we won't be the team every agent tells the media he's talking to in order to drive up his client's asking price. Maybe Dan is finally stepping back and allowing the excellently credentialed and motivated people he hired turn us back into a smart, sound, professional organization. Here's hoping, I saw more little things to indicate as such today than I thought I would, I'm honestly a little blown away. :cheers:

Did a search, didn't see anything about this and no one in the media is really talking about it. The single most encouraging thing (among MANY encouraging things) that came about with the announcement today was the details of Shany's contract. 5 years, 7 mil per, with the Broncos coughing up some of it as well. To me, this is a market contract. He's not even getting a raise on what he was making in Denver. Take a moment and let that sink in, if that doesn't indicate that Bruce Allen has been given significant authority and that the FO is developing a view of the big picture then nothing does. To me, if the guy at the tippy top got paid market value and wasn't overpaid, that's a precedent that trickles down through the roster and is recognized by agents around the league. To people who pay attention, Bruce Allen just sent a very clear message.

Maybe, just maybe, we aren't the team to fleece anymore. Maybe we won't be the team ever agent tells the media he's talking to in order to drive up his client's asking price. Maybe Dan is finally stepping back and allowing the excellently credentialed and motivated people he hired turn us back into a smart, sound, professional organization. Here's hoping, I saw more little things to indicate as such today than I thought I would, I'm honestly a little blown away. :cheers:

How is he not getting a raise from Denver? They owed him 7 million over the next two years....He's getting 7 million a year for 5 years.

How is he not getting a raise from Denver? They owed him 7 million over the next two years....He's getting 7 million a year for 5 years.

When he was fired there was 3 years, 21 million left on his contract. Been out of elementary mathematics for a few years but by my recollection that's 7 mil per season. ;)

It's funny you say that, I was talking to a buddy of mine about this exact same thing earlier today. :silly:

Dan has never been known for getting good value on anything. He normally pays sticker price and sometimes above sticker. Getting Shanahan at essentially 5.6 mil a year (with Denver picking up the other 3.5 mil over 2 years) I'd say that's a pretty good deal, considering most thought we'd have to throw 10 mil a year at him just to get him to bat an eye at us.

I just hope that this is just the tip of the iceberg and Dan is really doing the right things with the franchise and letting the right people guide this team.

I think its very encouraging especially with that moron at PFT saying we were going to give him 10 mil a season. Insinuating thats the only way we could get him to come here. I also love it the Cowher called us about the HC job after all the **** talk about no top flight coach will come here. To me the 7 million makes it seem like Shanny really wants to be here because he could of got that from another team.

Couldn't agree more. We basically get him for 5 years, $28M. It's a very positive sign, and now that Adam Schefter is on our side via his relationship with Shanny, this kind of example will be presented for what it is, and not spun into something else.

I was not able to watch the presser but from what I heard, they did not trot out the 3 Lombardi's. It may sound trivial, but this was a big deal to me. It's time to move on from those memories and legacy, and create some new ones. Really wanted that to happen, really liked that it did.

Last, I heard that Allen handled intros while Snyder said nary a word. Another small sign of change.

The money he's getting in Denver this year has nothing to do with what he's getting here. He's getting $7mil here plus what Denver owes him which is something like $3.5 mil so he'll make $10.5 total which is highest paid coach in the league.

The money he's getting in Denver this year has nothing to do with what he's getting here. He's getting $7mil here plus what Denver owes him which is something like $3.5 mil so he'll make $10.5 total which is highest paid coach in the league.

Yep two totally different things. He gets them both, but it is still less then anyone thought THE SKINS would have to pay.

Very good point, and this a month after we couldn't hire anyone to work here? Just goes to show how badly we needed pros calling the shots here. This is what I want to see, Allen getting real results, not just ESPN headlines.

I hope TheDan understands how much this helps his image as well. He may have gained more respect for not doing anything than any other move this last year. Let's hope it is a trend :thumbsup:

I think its very encouraging especially with that moron at PFT saying we were going to give him 10 mil a season.

Gee Wally do you think he got set up after getting busted for lifting info from ES?

Gee Beave, that'd be swell if he did.

:)

I think its very encouraging especially with that moron at PFT saying we were going to give him 10 mil a season. Insinuating thats the only way we could get him to come here. I also love it the Cowher called us about the HC job after all the **** talk about no top flight coach will come here. To me the 7 million makes it seem like Shanny really wants to be here because he could of got that from another team.

Where did you see Cowher calling about the Skins job?

I think years of losing have started to make us sell ourselves a tad short. While it has been a generation since this franchise has been viable, let's not forget that this is still a "marquee franchise" who plays in the nation's capital, has an amazing fan base and an owner who has a stack of blank checks ready to use whenever you ask him to. It's not nearly as bad a situation as we make it out to be. If you can come here and turn this team around you might just get a statue next to Abraham Lincoln on the Mall. How is that not appealing?

Yep two totally different things. He gets them both, but it is still less then anyone thought THE SKINS would have to pay.

I'm about 99% certain that what Denver is kicking in is part of the & mil per season. Quote from ESPN

He had three years left on his contract, and the deal with the Redskins calls for the Broncos to pay about $3.5 million of his salary in 2010 and 2011.
[url=]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4801852[/url]

To me, that reads of the 7 mill Shanahan will be paid in 2010 and 2011, 3.5 of it will come from the Broncos.

I think years of losing have started to make us sell ourselves a tad short. While it has been a generation since this franchise has been viable, let's not forget that this is still a "marquee franchise" who plays in the nation's capital, has an amazing fan base and an owner who has a stack of blank checks ready to use whenever you ask him to. It's not nearly as bad a situation as we make it out to be. If you can come here and turn this team around you might just get a statue next to Abraham Lincoln on the Mall. How is that not appealing?

I definitely agree. If a coach has reason to believe he can win here, it's still one of the most attractive jobs in sports.

Archived