Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What a mediocre starting QB means

Annonymous Source

At this point I think that most people on this site agree that Jason Campbell is a mediocre NFL QB. He also has many flaws that are obvious to anyone that watches games regularly. There are literally hundreds of threads where people debate every little play that he makes. I just wanted to look at the situation from a different perspective for once.

I just wanted to look back at our recent (20 year) history and see how many Mediocre NFL QB's we had. My list is

Rypien

Ferrotte

Trent Green (Briefly)

Brad Johnston (Better than Mediocre)

Brunell

Campbell

Of that list only Rypien, Green, and Campbell were drafted originally by the Redskins.

Of that list only Rypien, Johnston, and Brunell led us to the playoffs

This thread has nothing to do with how good Campbell is (or the O-Line). It is an attempt to look at how many legitimate QB's there are in the league over time.

Begin flaming...

i actually thought trent green was better than mediocre. wish we'd have kept him.

i think campbell has a chance to be better than mediocre but his pocket speed and presence means he needs protection.

Trent Green was mediocre while he was with us. He moved on to become a Francise QB for the Cheifs. I agree that Campbell still has room to grow, but as for right now he is truly a mediocre NFL qb.

The real point of debate that I am trying to get started is how valuable a mediocre NFL QB is.

Disagree with Green being mediocre in Washington

He had a fantastic season in 1998 when he finally got the chance to play. Had the ownership issue not been so crazy we would have had our QB for the next 6-7 years

I remember he had a very good half year while he was here. Still mad that ownership let him go (as well as Brad Johnston). Oh well...

The fact that anyone would consider Rypien mediocre shows that have not studied their history and are trying to prove a point that does not exist.

The guy threw for over 10,000 yards and 75 TDs in his first 50 games.

An incredible 13 yards per completion and over 8 per attempt during that stretch. Peyton Manning has not come close to these numbers during any 50 game stretch of his career. Brett Favre has not topped 13 YPC or 8 YPA in any season in his career.

During which he achieved a W/L record of 33-17.

The fact is Rypien was a franchise QB during those years, he just could not keep it up. The Skins were old and bad.

Overall, I suppose you could say Rypien was mediocre, but he led us to a Superbowl. Actually, that 1 year, he was an awesome QB. After that he started to have accuracy issues.

After he signed the big contract and didn't work on being the best in the offseason.... some QBs study film and continuously learn ways to get better and beat defenses that adjust to the offense... he did not...

It's what separates Tom Brady + Peyton Manning + afew others from the rest of the league...

An incredible 8 yards per completion and over 13 per attempt during that stretch. Peyton Manning has not come close to these numbers during any 50 game stretch of his career. Brett Favre has not topped 8 YPC or 13 YPA in any season in his career.

Is it the other way around? 13 per completion... 8 per attempt???

Please note that I said the last 20 years. So starting in 1990 and onward.

Yes people can say that Trent Green, Brad Johnston, and Mark Rypien were all above average. (I should probably just edit it to say that)

The entire point of this thread is to consider for a minute what a luxury that mediocre level of QB play is when compared to our team over time.

I for one very badly want to keep Campbell simply because he is at a level that we have not had very much around this franchise for a long period of time.

2005 Mark Brunell was at a higher level. So was 2007 Todd Collins.

:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Agree on Brunell, Collins is a toss up. Either way lets try to discuss the merits of having a Mediocre QB.

All this thread is TRYING to do is point out that having a Mediocre QB is something that has not been the norm for this franchise over the last 20 years.

A better point to make is to look at the QB's we have been to the playoffs with over the past 15 years.

Brad Johnson, Mark Brunell and Todd Collins. The rest of the time we wasted trying to get a young guy going.

This team does not need any more rookie QB's taken in day 1 of a draft. Let's package whatever it takes to get a decent vet in here. I wouldn't be shocked to see some decent ones on the market in an uncapped year where other teams are salary dumping.

At this point I think that most people on this site agree that Jason Campbell is a mediocre NFL QB. He also has many flaws that are obvious to anyone that watches games regularly. There are literally hundreds of threads where people debate every little play that he makes. I just wanted to look at the situation from a different perspective for once.

I just wanted to look back at our recent (20 year) history and see how many Mediocre NFL QB's we had. My list is

Rypien

Ferrotte

Trent Green (Briefly)

Brad Johnston (Better than Mediocre)

Brunell

Campbell

Of that list only Rypien, Green, and Campbell were drafted originally by the Redskins.

Of that list only Rypien, Johnston, and Brunell led us to the playoffs

This thread has nothing to do with how good Campbell is (or the O-Line). It is an attempt to look at how many legitimate QB's there are in the league over time.

Begin flaming...

mediocre? I think he is one of the worst QB in the league. mediocre? too kind

I examined the list and there is a very major flaw in it and I'm not talking about Rypien(should not be in the list) either. The flaw is Campbell I would not even put him in the list with those Q.b.'s

Campbell has proved the last two games that he is a bust and can't handle pressure and chokes when games are on the line.

I was starting to turn back into a Campbell believer but these last two games have did it for me.

Bye

Bye

See you later Jason.

Archived