Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Stat That Said It All (Offensive Woooooeeesss)

KingGibbs

Just like the rest of you, for some reason, I parked my ass in front of the tv and watched what was once our rival spank us.

Towards the end of the game NBC threw up a stat that nearly made ME throw up. Just when you though we were bad this particular stat showed just how bad we've been.

I'm talking about the stat that shows us only behind the Lions and Browns for this decade in points per game. Through this whole decade we were just barely over 18 points per game for the DECADE. I believe it was 18.6 per game.

So for those that always say "Well at least we're not the Lions, Browns or Raiders." You sure about that?

It's time to accept the fact that our Washington Redskins are and have been one of the worst teams in the NFL. You can try to spin it anyway you want but the facts don't lie. *sigh*

Just like the rest of you, for some reason, I parked my ass in front of the tv and watched what was once our rival spank us.

Towards the end of the game NBC threw up a stat that nearly made ME throw up. Just when you though we were bad this particular stat showed just how bad we've been.

I'm talking about the stat that shows us only behind the Lions and Browns for this decade in points per game. Through this whole decade we were just barely over 18 points per game for the DECADE. I believe it was 18.6 per game.

So for those that always say "Well at least we're not the Lions, Browns or Raiders." You sure about that?

It's time to accept the fact that our Washington Redskins are and have been one of the worst teams in the NFL. You can try to spin it anyway you want but the facts don't lie. *sigh*

And once and for all, let's get off the myth that we're just a player or two away from contending and recognize how far this team has fallen and how far it has to go before it can even be close to respected by ANYONE in the NFL.

And once and for all, let's get off the myth that we're just a player or two away from contending and recognize how far this team has fallen and how far it has to go before it can even be close to respected by ANYONE in the NFL.

Thank you! The entire franchise needs to be overhauled, not just the O line or something. There are basic concepts like respect and dedication that need to be replanted here. We are a long way away from glory, but there is the faintest shimmer of hope in seeing TheDan hire Bruce Allen and make him GM.

According to my calculations we need FOUR new starting OL'men.

A QB??????? Poor JC has had no chance these last couple of weeks.

A RB

A LB

A free safety because Landry absolutely blows.

Two corners

I'm sure I forgot a few.

So yeah, we're ****ed.

It feels like it has been even less than 18.6. Seriously I can only remember one year in a long time where we had good offense.

Just curious...did you pick your screenname to describe what happens during the 3 hours that the Skins are on tv?

LOL, talk about spinning it. Points scored isn't the most important stat. Wins are and in that regard we are miles ahead (70) of either the Lions (42) or the Browns (53). Points scored only matters in context with points allowed and their are only 7 teams this decade that have allowed fewer points than we have.

What this stat does is underline the fact that we haven't had a real QB since Brad Johnson the first half of the 1999 season and even he stunk the second half of that year and all of 2000. People love to harp on our offensive line woes as a big reason that we have stunk but before last year our offensive line was actually pretty good. Add Steve Spurrier and Jim Zorn to the equation and you have a decade of disappointment but not even close to the ineptitude of several other teams. We only had losing seasons in half the seasons of the decade. Don't get me wrong, that is terrible but it's not epically terrible.

According to my calculations we need FOUR new starting OL'men.

A QB??????? Poor JC has had no chance these last couple of weeks.

A RB

A LB

A free safety because Landry absolutely blows.

Two corners

I'm sure I forgot a few.

So yeah, we're ****ed.

I think a new secondary coach(s) and defensive coordinator would take care of a good amount of that list. The guys in our secondary have all performed at a high level before. They can't have all turned into idiots all of a sudden. Landry has always been an idiot but he hasn't been even close to this bad in previous years.

LOL, talk about spinning it. Points scored isn't the most important stat. Wins are and in that regard we are miles ahead (70) of either the Lions (42) or the Browns (53). Points scored only matters in context with points allowed and their are only 7 teams this decade that have allowed fewer points than we have.

What this stat does is underline the fact that we haven't had a real QB since Brad Johnson the first half of the 1999 season and even he stunk the second half of that year and all of 2000. People love to harp on our offensive line woes as a big reason that we have stunk but before last year our offensive line was actually pretty good. Add Steve Spurrier and Jim Zorn to the equation and you have a decade of disappointment but not even close to the ineptitude of several other teams. We only had losing seasons in half the seasons of the decade. Don't get me wrong, that is terrible but it's not epically terrible.

If what you stated makes you feel better about our team then I applaud you. I'll have what you are drinking.

Pulled most of this from another thread I posted in recently as to it's relevance to add weight to how far we have fallen KG, and how we have MORE than held sway with the utter dregs of this league since the last Lombardi:

We may play close games, and keep them compettitive in a fashion, but we've not been a contender, a SERIOUS contender, for nigh on two decades now. We may of made the playoffs two out of the last five years, but we hardly made them as any sort of favourite or serious contender going in.

We're one of only FIVE teams to not play in a Conference Championship game since the 1991 season and the last Lombardi. (Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit and Houston, who've only existed in their present guise 8 years, being the others). And at that, the only two NFC teams to not play in the Conference Championship game with a shot at the SB over that span; are ourselves and the team we beat that day, the Detroit Lions.

If you take the 4 examples you mentioned, we fair little better, and in all but the Browns case, worse than the lot of them over that period, which is now in an 18th season.

Through the last 17 years:

Cleveland Browns.

3 Winning Season's.

2 10 win or more season's. (The most at 11.).

2 Playoff appearances, yielding no more than a Divisional game loss.

Detroit Lions.

5 Winning Season's.

2 10 win or more season's. (The most at 10.).

5 Playoff appearances, culminating in nothing more than Wild Card loses.

1 Divisional title.

Kansas City Chiefs.

10 Winning Season's.

6 10 win or more season's. (Three times at 13.).

7 Playoff appearances, the best yielding a Confernce Championship loss.

4 Divisional titles.

Oakland Raiders.

5 Winning Season's.

4 10 win or more season's. (The most at 12.).

4 Playoff appearances, including two Conference Championship games, and a Super Bowl loss.

Washington Redskins.

6 Winning Season's.

2 10 win or more season's. (Nothing over 10 wins in a season.).

3 Playoff appearances, yielding nothing more than 2 loses in the Divisional Playoff round.

You can console your self as much as you want that this team is "competitive", behind the "fools gold" of limping into the playoff's 2 of the last 5 years for a 1/2 games and done, and keeping games close they haven't a clue how to win; but please don't castigate those that tell it like it is, hold their hands up, and openly admit that for WAY too long now, we've held AMPLE sway with the dregs of this league.

We are what we are.

A mediocre, run-of-the-mill franchise, fit to be compared to any of the above.

Hail.

Very true stwasm! I truly believe we need to cut out the over-paid me-first players in the locker room, and start building from the draft. I understand we will struggle for a little bit, but it will be a lot more respectable than what we currently have. Plus we will not have to worry about the cap and just concentrate on developing players.

Amen to that man. It's a tough fact to swallow but we're really no better than those teams at this point.

I'm hoping that Shanahan or whomever can take us back to offensive domination once again.

Exactly! This team needs to get BLOWN UP completely. There are maybe a half dozen guys who should be locks for next year. Of those, two are on IR. Of them, one is probably hanging it up for good.

Keep Cooley, Davis, Fletcher, Samuels (if he is an idiot and doesn't hang it up), and Thomas. I may be missing some, but that's really about it.

Everyone else is completely expendable.

Wait just a minute. Vinny said he had a playoff roster this season. Posters on here say we just a new QB to move on.

Are these people wrong?

Let me say it again, we are two to three seasons from serious contention if Allen can build a team.

Archived