Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Quinton Ganther stays medium, humble

themurf

ganther121709.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

Last week, Washington Redskins running back Quinton Ganther started his first NFL game. In front of more than 250 friends and family members, the Richmond, Calif., native made the most of the opportunity - finishing the day with 93 total yards and two touchdowns in a 34-13 victory over the Oakland Raiders.

In the post-game locker room, Ganther even admitted that it was a day he would never forget.

Well, we caught up with Ganther heading into tonight’s game against the New York Giants to see if he’d come down from the emotional high of last week’s game yet and to see what he plans to do for an encore.

Has your first-career start become even sweeter now that you’ve had a chance to go back and watch the tape of the Raiders game?

“To be honest, it wasn’t really that great,” Ganther said. “Once you go back and evaluate it, I made a lot of mistakes. One of my biggest mistakes, I let the quarterback get hit twice and that’s not acceptable. That’s not acceptable for me, and that’s not acceptable for this team. I couldn’t stop apologizing to Jason [Campbell] because I got him hit, and he jumps back up and he’s got mud all up in his face … that’s just not acceptable for me. So once I went back and watched it again, it wasn’t a great game for me.”

It’s funny. You’re sitting here telling us that your first start wasn’t a good one. And yet, there are some folks out there already comparing you to Chuck Norris. You’re a guy who a month ago was looking for a job, and now that you’ve had some success, you don’t sound satisfied at all …

“I’m not a Chuck Norris. I’m not a badass,” said Ganther. “I’m Quinton Ganther, and I’m a guy who is humble. I’m a guy who comes to work and takes pride in this job, this opportunity. What people don’t understand is this is a blessing. Just to be sitting here in this locker room talking to you right now, this is a blessing. People would give up their right arm or leg for this. [Editor's note: he's right.]

“So you can’t ever get too big for yourself, you know what I mean,” Ganther continued. “You have to come out and work hard, because this can all be gone tomorrow. Like you said, a month ago I was looking for a job. And now I get an opportunity like this, I’m not going to take it for granted. I’m going to take advantage of it.”

Since you’re so new to town, Redskins fans are still getting to know you. What’s the scouting report on Quinton Ganther?

Click here for the full article.

Technically, how could he play if he gave an arm or a leg... ?

I do like his attitude. Everything that Portis isn't. The run game will always be there, but less and less does the trend exist for a home-run runner. The passing game will put up the points, but we need a few bruisers to take advantage of opportunity when given.

He does seem to be a fresh breath in the RB position, but is it me or does he seem just a tad slow?

I think that's part of the reason why he hasn't been able to break in anywhere else. When he ripped off that great 50-or-so yard gain last week, it was obvious that he doesn't have breakaway speed.

Still, you can't fault the guy for that... either you're fast or you aren't. I'll take the game he had last week any day.

Another great interview, murf. You have really been nailing these face to faces with the players. Ganther comes off like a very cool and hopefully new shining star. I love the sentiment about valuing his blocking responsibility (in terms of attitude) as much as his yardage stats. Also, I immediately cracked up at the title. Well done. :)

I need him to come through for me in a big way. I am up by 10 points and have him yet to go and the guy I'm going up against has Campbell and the Giants D. Not looking too good for Titaw and the Bayside Tigers.

You think you need him to come up big? I have him to play and am down by 26.9 points :(. My trip to the fantasy championships in my money league was all but locked down until Aaron freaking Rodgers put up 43.5 points. Makes me want to throw up every time I look at it. I went from being up by 20 with Ganther to play, to down by 27 in about 20 minutes. Champion game is 300 winner 150 loser, and that money would have been very nice this time of year :(.

You think you need him to come up big? I have him to play and am down by 26.9 points :(. My trip to the fantasy championships in my money league was all but locked down until Aaron freaking Rodgers put up 43.5 points. Makes me want to throw up every time I look at it. I went from being up by 20 with Ganther to play, to down by 27 in about 20 minutes. Champion game is 300 winner 150 loser, and that money would have been very nice this time of year :(.

Heh, I guess I'm luckier than you guys. A little bit. In another league of mine I'm down 19 points and I still have Ganther and Thomas to play. While that certainly doesn't guarantee I'll win, it still gives me a decent chance. Ah, Monday Night Football.

I think that's part of the reason why he hasn't been able to break in anywhere else. When he ripped off that great 50-or-so yard gain last week, it was obvious that he doesn't have breakaway speed.

Still, you can't fault the guy for that... either you're fast or you aren't. I'll take the game he had last week any day.

Yea, it seemed he didn't have that burst, as long as he hangs on to the ball its fine with me; I prefer ball security to speed, it was just an observation...

Archived