Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andy Reid: Goes for 4th and 1 in the first quarter...WTF?

tr1

I wish more coaches would go for it on 4th and short. It would make football more exciting.

As we Redskins fans should well know, you have to put a bad team away early. Andy apparently believes this to be true.

From your own 29?

I wish more coaches would go for it on 4th and short. It would make football more exciting.

As we Redskins fans should well know, you have to put a bad team away early. Andy apparently believes this to be true.

This is the Eagles though.

They might be the worst team in football on 3rd/4th and short.

Is the fat man on a sugar rush?

Its not a big deal. Shortly after that a SF player fumbled the ball right back to them. So it didn't hurt. And I think the only reason he wanted to go for it in the first place was he thought Vick could easily make it. However, Vick was injured on the previous play. So instead of realizing that, and punting, he still decided to go for it. That's where I lay blame.

Its not a big deal. Shortly after that a SF player fumbled the ball right back to them. So it didn't hurt. And I think the only reason he wanted to go for it in the first place was he thought Vick could easily make it. However, Vick was injured on the previous play. So instead of realizing that, and punting, he still decided to go for it. That's where I lay blame.

Had SF not turned it over, that was at least 3 points Andy handed over to them.

Yes, that's a big deal.

Had SF not turned it over, that was at least 3 points Andy handed over to them.

Yes, that's a big deal.

Yeah, and had Suisham not missed a 23 yarder, we would have been the first to knock off the Saints. So what. It didn't cost them anything. And neither did the onside kick against us. And that was a great call. Just poorly executed (onside kick).

Some guys just look for any excuse to bag on the guy. Again, I think the only reason he initially wanted to go for it was because he could run Vick in the wildcat. If you notice, Vick got injured on the previous play, so McNabb had to run back in. But then I think they even took a timeout and he still went for it. If that's the case, then yeah, it was definitely a bad call. Still, as it turned out it didn't cost them anything. That's why all this talk is a moot point.

You have to give credit to Reid - he has this killer instinct which his team really feeds off of. This isn't the 1st time he's taken gambles - remember that onside kick to start to game against us in the opener in 2000? That really set the tone for the Reid/McNabb era.

Killer instinct? I call it arrogance.

From your own 29?

Well to be honest, at this point I'd love to see our team go for it on 4th and anything less than 5 from anywhere on the field. But this team is also out of playoff contention. I guss it's situational. Maybe I'd feel different if the 'Skins were 8-5 and in the hunt, but I would prefer to see teams with nothing to lose actually play like that.

Philly is admittedly a different case in that they have something to play for, but I also enjoy seeing other coaches make gutsy calls that challenge their team. I think the Eagles will be better off for being challenged.

Well. It wasn't the dumbest coaching move of the day. See Steelers game.

Imagine: Your team is winning by two points and is ready to kick off with 4 minutes remaining. What does your team do? Kick an onside kick. :doh:

I still can't believe it. What an awful call.

On another note, Heath Miller is having a whale of a game...

Imagine: Your team is winning by two points and is ready to kick off with 4 minutes remaining. What does your team do? Kick an onside kick. :doh:

LOL, I couldn't believe that, although, poor execution they really had it.

That actually wasn't that terrible of a call. The Steelers couldn't stop the Packers anyway. If they get the ball back they can basically kill the clock. If they don't get it back, they'd have more time to win if/when the Packers scored. That was Tomlin's justification, and luckily for him he had Big Ben to pull it out.

Archived