Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan vs Redskins, 1996-2008: What excellence looks like

Atlanta Skins Fan

That begs the question:

Assuming Jason Campbell is here next season. Is he better than Cutler, Griese or Plummer?

I don't think Shanahan is hitching his wagon to Jason Campbell. I would have said that anyway, but I also believe that Snyder's attempts to dump Campbell for Cutler or Sanchez last offseason were attempts to lay the groundwork for eventually hiring Shanahan. Similar in this way to dumping Cerrato and hiring Bruce Allen. Directed as preconditions by Shanahan.

The verdict from Shanahan is already in. Jason Campbell is Plan B, if he's part of the plan at all. Jason Campbell:Shanahan = Patrick Ramsey:Gibbs.

If Shanahan is hired, we're almost certainly drafting a QB in the first round. That was the Plan B (Sanchez) option after the Cutler trade fell through, so it's Plan A now. If Campbell's around, maybe he starts until Shanahan feels the rookie is ready to play. This assumes Campbell beats out Todd Collins and Colt Brennan.

The team's refusal to start Todd Collins in 2009 might suggest that Shanahan didn't favor Collins either. Paying CB to rehab might lead to a contest between CB and the rookie for the starting job, with Jason Campbell in the mix as insurance. If we draft Bradford (rehabbing from injury), that insurance becomes more important.

Campbell doesn't play like a Shanahan QB. That's not a coachable quality, IMO. But, like Patrick Ramsey at the Gibbs II transition, he's available. Probably we tender him, and later trade him, when Shanahan is satisfied that he's got two QBs ready to play.

Everyone always underestimates Todd Collins. He's the longest shot coming in, but if he gets a contract and an invitation to training camp, he might start Game 1. He'll adapt to Shanahan the fastest, and so is the safe choice not to embarrass Shanahan starting the year. Colt Brennan blows hot and cold, and who knows which Colt will show up next camp. A hot camp puts him ahead.

It's hard to see any scenario where Campbell beats out CB and TC learning a new system under a coach who demands an attacking QB.

It's hard to see any scenario where Campbell beats out CB and TC learning a new system under a coach who demands an attacking QB.

Very fair assessment. Didn't want to quote it all but it does make a whole lot of sense. It does seem like Campbell is finally adapting to the offense though.

Doesn't Shanny run a version of the WCO?

Best years clearly with Elway

Bold statement :rolleyes:

Holmgren's best years were with Favre, Belichick's with Brady, Noll's with Bradshaw, Lombardi's with Starr, Walsh's with Montana, etc.

(Okay that last one isn't really fair but you get the point...)

];7134166']I'm convinced. Consider me on the Shanahan bandwagon.

Although I still wouldn't be too upset with Gruden if he got Tebow.

I might actually cry if we get Gruden and Tebow. That is my nightmare scenario.

Doesn't Shanny run a version of the WCO?

Yes, albeit a more run-oriented version. He was an OC under Seifert, I believe.

Whoever plays QB for Shanahan will be playing at their career best.

Here is your money shot for Mike Shanahan:

qb_rating_shanahan_difference.gif

Mike Shanahan turns turds into gold. Give him a quality QB, he delivers a Hall of Fame QB and Super Bowl wins.

This is not hype or potential. This is his record, from 1995 - 2008.

Mike Shanahan is a machine that produces excellence.

Now give him quality he never had in Denver. Give him a great defense, retain Scott Campbell as personnel director, and spend Dan Snyder's money with the discipline that Bruce Allen will bring.

If Scott Campbell is retained and Mike Shanahan is the coach, bet the house on the Redskins.

Great Stat!

If Scott Campbell is retained and Mike Shanahan is the coach, bet the house on the Redskins.

Excellent thread, as always ASF.

But let me amend your premises for betting the house on the Redskins:

If Scott Campbell is retained and Mike Shanahan is the coach, and Bob Slowik is not the defensive coordinator, bet the house on the Redskins.

The fear on my part is that Shanahan will want personnel men from his time in Denver to supplant Scott Campbell and his good friend Slowik to run our defense.

Shanahan would be perfect as the OC in Chicago.

He achieved above-average success in Denver because of two factors no longer in play -- Elway and the zone-blocking innovation of Alex Gibbs which had defenses on its heels when introduced.

He's a retread, almost sure to be mediocre.

The distribution is very interesting. He favored offense slightly by number of picks, but used 7 first-round picks on defense, compared to 5 on offense. He also spent 3 first-round picks on LBs, but never drafted DT higher than 3rd round. This is a long-term strategic mistake IMO, and may help to explain some softness in Bronco defense.

On offense, he picked 16 WRs and 14 RBs, but never drafted RB higher than the second round. He picked more centers than guards, and generally ignored TE. His first-rounders on offense emphasized tackle, WR and QB.

Factoring existing Redskin strengths/weaknesses, I project that Shanahan would make the following draft need requests for the first two drafts:

Round 1: QB, T

Round 2: RB, DB

Round 3: C, LB

Round 4: G, DB

Luckily we have a GM that does have a good history of drafting in the trenches, and if the "rumors" are right has 100% final say on personnel.

Also, Allen has a history of not backing down from a demanding coach in regard to personnel.

Shanahan would be perfect as the OC in Chicago.

He achieved above-average success in Denver because of two factors no longer in play -- Elway and the zone-blocking innovation of Alex Gibbs which had defenses on its heels when introduced.

He's a retread, almost sure to be mediocre.

Do you have any statistics and trend analysis to back that up?

Whoever plays QB for Shanahan will be playing at their career best.

Here is your money shot for Mike Shanahan:

qb_rating_shanahan_difference.gif

Right now Jason Campbell has a qb Rating of 89.0 (better than anyone on that list). Do you think that Shanahan could get a additional 10 points out of him? If so, is there any reason to even bother going after a qb?

And if Shanny DOES come to Washington there is already a decent defense in place that doesn't need much more tweaking.

Arguably better than any of the defenses that Denver had over the time span that he coached there.

Maybe a OLB and nickel corner away from being elite.

The real question becomes who will run the defense.......

And if Shanny DOES come to Washington there is already a decent defense in place that doesn't need much more tweaking.

Arguably better than any of the defenses that Denver had over the time span that he coached there.

Right.

If Shanny puts his DC in place, there will be an instant revolt on ES.

Wait for it.

;)

Wouldn't say OLB or nickel corner so much as free safety. We need a ballhawk (a la Sean Taylor, Ed Reed, Darren Sharper) so we can put L.Ron Landry back at strong.

Do you have any statistics and trend analysis to back that up?

He does not. The best he can possibly do is prove that Shanahan's offense was marginally worse in the decade after John Elway, Terrell Davis, Rod Smith, Ed McAffrey, and Shannon Sharpe all played together.

Arguably. He did have some pretty good defenses at various points during his tenure in Denver. The Redskins definitely have the best front four he'll have had the opportunity to work with since Bertrand Berry and Trevor Pryce left Denver in 2003.

Archived