Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan vs Redskins, 1996-2008: What excellence looks like

Atlanta Skins Fan

I'm not the biggest fan of his, because of how he will bring in 10 RB's at a time. Also, who will be the DC if Jerry Gray isn't retained? I can't remember the last DC name they had on that epic collapse last season, but if it's him, we are in some trouble. I rather retain Gray as the DC.

The last time an AFCW team went to the SB was in 98 and 99...both times were Denver.

Since then, none.

You either misspoke or forgot about the 2002 Raiders.

Oh, and here's Denver's playoff record recently:

• Jan. 9, 2005 - AFC Wild Card - Indianapolis 49, Denver 24

• Jan. 4, 2004 - AFC Wild Card - Indianapolis 41, Denver 10

• Dec. 31, 2000 - AFC Wild Card - Baltimore 21, Denver 3

That's three one-and-dones.

In the 2000 postseason they lost to one of the best defenses in NFL history, a team that went on to win the Super Bowl. Big shock.

In the 2003 and 2004 postseasons Peyton Manning was near-perfect against them. The Colts just had the Broncos' number and could tear that defense up like no one else. No excuse.

In the 2005 postseason they beat the defending champion New England Patriots and lost to the eventual Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers. Not a bad run.

I'm not entirely sure how the playoff record of the Broncos over the last few years has any bearing on what I said about the AFC West being a tough division at points during the last decade, though.

Considering the love JG got after two playoffs in four years, Shanny might not too pretty after a five year stint here.

;)

I agree. We're a very fickle group of fans and we don't have a lot of patience for perceived failure. If we get used to being in the playoffs and come up short several years in a row we may very well start sounding like Eagles fans.

now the Raiders team that was doing well... is that the timeframe Bruce Allen was their GM? Or I guess I should ask, did he assemble that team?

Bruce won the George Young NFL Executive of the Year award in 2002 when he was with Oakland. I'm not sure if it can definitively be said that he was the one who "assembled" the team, though.

My bad.

I'm just not liking the implied AFCW to NFCE comparison...

The strength of divisions is always changing.... remember when the NFCE was one of the worst in the NFL with really the Eagles being the only serious competition? (circa 02-05) I think you may be a little prejudiced. Right now the AFCW sucks, but for awhile the Raiders, Chargers and Chiefs all contended at one point or another and the Broncos always seemed to be in it.

Here's my problem with Shanahan....

When he was coach for the Broncos, I considered him an arrogant prick. Is that valid? Maybe not, but I don't really like thinking my team's coach is an arrogant prick.

Well, there's no debating that the team's owner is an arrogant prick, so what difference does it make?

As long as he's not in charge of personnel moves, I'm good with Shanahan.

If Shanahan is hired, you can bet that he will drive the prioritization of the draft by position, especially for offense.

So, what do Shanahan drafts look like? Here's a breakdown for Bronco drafts, 1996 - 2008:

broncos_draft_position_1996-2008.gif

The distribution is very interesting. He favored offense slightly by number of picks, but used 7 first-round picks on defense, compared to 5 on offense. He also spent 3 first-round picks on LBs, but never drafted DT higher than 3rd round. This is a long-term strategic mistake IMO, and may help to explain some softness in Bronco defense.

On offense, he picked 16 WRs and 14 RBs, but never drafted RB higher than the second round. He picked more centers than guards, and generally ignored TE. His first-rounders on offense emphasized tackle, WR and QB.

Factoring existing Redskin strengths/weaknesses, I project that Shanahan would make the following draft need requests for the first two drafts:

Round 1: QB, T

Round 2: RB, DB

Round 3: C, LB

Round 4: G, DB

Obviously the acquisition of major free agents (or loss of major Redskin free agents) would affect this projection.

Only real problem I have right now with Shanny is he seems loyal to a fault to Slowik, a subpar D-coord. I am a VT fan and I feel the same way about Steinspring being the o-coord in Blacksburg. I feel a Shanny HC/Slowik DC combo would build back the “jenga tower” on offense (although Sherm seems to have done that to a degree) but knock the tower down on D. I think Gray should be DC for continuity and Slowik should be no more than DB coach.

Well... you sold me ASF. Bring on Shanahan.

Here's my problem with Shanahan....

When he was coach for the Broncos, I considered him an arrogant prick. Is that valid? Maybe not, but I don't really like thinking my team's coach is an arrogant prick.

To be honest, I'd rather have an arrogant prick than a bumbling idiot. Zorn seems like a nice guy and all but he looks confused 100% of the time on the sidelines.

I'd really rather have an ******* head coach that knows his **** and can call out his players at any time than some coddling, clueless, joker.

agree with the arrogance comments. As long as players like playing for the person, it doesn't matter. I don't think I've heard anything negative about Shanahan overall, from players, media, fans, etc....

Shoot, I'd take the attitude Belichick brings as well, though he definitely has had people become vocal about his methods and arrogance. We in general need a coach that will lead the team well and bring a certain level of arrogance and confidence. Gruden or Shanahan can do this.

Shoot, I'd take the attitude Belichick brings as well, though he definitely has had people become vocal about his methods and arrogance. We in general need a coach that will lead the team well and bring a certain level of arrogance and confidence. Gruden or Shanahan can do this.

Belichick is arrogant, Shanahan is arrogant. They are both winners though. You need to be a bit arrogant and completely confident in order to win in the NFL.

When you are dealing with young guys in the league, they need to know who the leader is. You cant have the students running the classroom.

Well... you sold me ASF. Bring on Shanahan.

Bringing in Shanahan is very easy to sell from an offensive standpoint and it's a move that I like a lot, especially if he can bring in Kyle Shanahan as that removes some of the longevity concerns. It cannot be stated enough, however, that defense is a major concern given what happened to Denver after 2004/2005.

While I think Shannahan would be a great hire, I'm not sure you can draw that conclusion from this data.

All we can conclusively say is that his offenses were better than the Redskins' offenses over that time. Not really glowing praise, heh.

Not only is comparing his teams to the Redskins teams not glowing praise, it is downright insulting.

Shanahan's offense finished in the top 10 in total yardage 6 times between 1999 and 2008 and those are just the post-Elway years. With Elway his offense was in the top 3 every year. Incidentally, 1999 was the last time the Redskins finished the season in the top 10 and we have spent most of the last decade ranked in the bottom half of the league.

Bringing in Shanahan is very easy to sell from an offensive standpoint and it's a move that I like a lot, especially if he can bring in Kyle Shanahan as that removes some of the longevity concerns. It cannot be stated enough, however, that defense is a major concern given what happened to Denver after 2004/2005.

I'm not that worried about our defense. I'm not a big fan of Greg Blache to be honest and I think a dimwit could get the talent we have on defense to play a respectable game.

I'm not that worried about our defense. I'm not a big fan of Greg Blache to be honest and I think a dimwit could get the talent we have on defense to play a respectable game.

It's definitely not a short-term concern as we already have most of the talent we need in place on that side of the ball. We also seem to have plenty of young depth in the secondary and on the line. In the long-term, though, I wouldn't be entirely shocked to see our talent level on defense erode. Production is also a concern if Slowik is the guy because he has a history of running defenses that get worse in his first two years and don't really show any signs of improvement thereafter.

I'm not particularly attached to Blache, though, and I might be less concerned with a guy like Zimmer.

Archived