Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Snyder's Showing He's Ready to Change

Taylor 36

The thing is, there's nothing to suggest that Dan wasn't essentially hands-off with Gibbs. Sure, he worked on wining and dining targets, negotiations but it's not as if he made the decision to let Ryan Clark go.

Now, maybe some of those bad decisions were on Vinny and not on Gregg W or Joe Gibbs, but from everything I've ever read, plus Joe Gibbs own behavior with the QB situation especially, I'm inclined to believe that Vinny AND Dan both took heat for doing, basically, very little wrong during the Gibbs era.

That would indicate that it hasn't been 10 years, really.

The thing is, there's nothing to suggest that Dan wasn't essentially hands-off with Gibbs. it's not as if he made the decision to let Ryan Clark go.

I disagree strongly. Ryan Clark was released to make way for Adam Archulletta, the highest paid safety in league history. A move which reeked of Snyderdom.

This is part of a clever plan from Snyder. Shanahan wanted Allen as part of the deal in Buffalo and would only come to DC if he was included. Allen is simply the numbers guy but Shanahan will have full authority over personnel decisions. Danny got past the Rooney Rule on this by interviewing Blache. Blache could remain on Shanahan's staff in return for his part in the plan. Remember how Blache defended Danny after the Riggo comments, and he has been quiet since. Vinny is simply taking a back seat but will continue to be Danny's sidekick. Vinny stepping down is a way to appease the hostile fans who were turning on Snyder after Gibbs left. Danny is a smart one but if this doesn't work out, Snyder will never get the fans back. I will feel a little better if they hire Eric DeCosta to run the scouting department. Danny just appears to have changed but he is the same guy doing the same thing. This would be legit if this wasn't an orchestrated plan to get Shanahan. Hire an idependent GM, clean house, and let him hire the coach. That is real change.

I disagree strongly. Ryan Clark was released to make way for Adam Archulletta, the highest paid safety in league history. A move which reeked of Snyderdom.

Yeah, except that's an assertion without evidence or even sense. Adam Archuleta wasn't even really a high-profile free agent at the time. Ryan Clark may have encountered some "cap" on what they would pay him based on some formula, and that you can attribute to Vinny or even Snyder but I don't think Snyder was hot after Adam Archuleta. When Arch was not performing, it was Gregg who put him on special teams, rather than expose him further. I really don't think Vinny and Dan went to Gregg and said, "hey, you and Sean like Ryan Clark. F U, we're getting this kid who we already knew couldn't cover."

Based on our drafts during this period, I'd point to Gregg Williams, as we have EVIDENCE, that he believed he could plug in Lemar Marshall in A. Pierce's spot. He also did not fight the organization to retain Smoot (which would have cost only a little more than Springs) and our pick of Campbell also seemed as much a Gibbs pick as anything (in fact, we know this.) I think Gregg was behind that Arch signing, or at least sold the management that he could do more with him than with Clark.

Also, these "highest paid in history" get a little tiresome because the real numbers don't always add up. Because dollars are involved doesn't mean it is "Snyderesque." You have to look beyond these silly media innuendoes and 'conventional wisdom.'

Never thought I'd say this, but THANK YOU DAN!!

This is the most excited I've been in quite some time.

Agreed!

It took 10 years but I think Snyder has seen the light. Some will say that 10 years is way too long to figure it out but I don't see any point in living in the past. Snyder has given us (finally) a real reason to think the next 10 years will be a major upgrade to the previous 10 and that is where I am going to keep my focus.

The future is a big positive for me right now and I like that feeling.

I am witholding judgement on this move until I see who the coach and talent evaluators report to.

Vinny was not the right person for the job, but from an organizational perspective, he was the person solely responsible for football operations.

I wanted to see someone replace him in the same capacity. Someoen with sole authority.

But what I'm sensing is that his replacement will only be responsible for part of the organization. And another person (or persons) will be responsible for the rest.

Hiring Allen to fill only part of Vinny's old role, would be one step forward, and one step backwards.

If the "GM" and Coach are both peers who report to The Dan, we're in a pickle. Dan being the common denominator is, IMO, a bad thing.

I would like to see a football person be the common denominator.

How do we really know Snyder was the problem and not Vinny?

We have lots of conjecture and assumptions but little real evidence that shows us Snyder was the brains and not Vinny.

However now that Vinny is gone we're going to finally find out what the problem was. If it was Vinny then things will greatly improve - if it was Snyder then things will remain muddled in mediocrity.

IMO Snyder showed he was willing to change when he brought in Joe Gibbs. He showed he was willing to let a "GM" handle the job after Joe left. He just didn't have the right guy for the GM job. Hopefully he's got that now.

This was more my thinking. I don't get this idea that he's been the same since 2000. I don't believe that and I don't see evidence for that. Now, he may have needed to change more but I don't think Snyder has been the same since he started. Gibbs had the power and the prestige. You could argue that Vinny misled Gibbs (by accident, I'm sure he wanted to build a winner) or that Vinny was almost too much of a yes-man for Gibbs (saying yes to the Duckett trade? Getting Lloyd?) in terms of going out for a particular need and making a bad judgment there---but I don't think this is a new trend with Snyder.

I think he just wants to know what's going on and sit in on meetings and watch the team. I don't really see him as meddling to nearly the extent people believe, other than maybe needing to significantly alter his personal approach.

Snyder is showing that he is ready to make changes. We can only hope at this time that this means he is willing to take a back seat and just write the checks.

Hail To The Redskins!!!!

As someone who has bashed Danny repeatedly I do have to give him and his new (or to-be-new) organizational structure a chance. A good long chance too, not jump back to attack mode at the first action I don't like.

Good first step in repairing some of the damage done to this franchise by both Vinny and Danny.

Archived