Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan to Bring Son in as OC

MAATopDogg

Don't know if you guys caught this is the article, as well.

Sheds some light on why Schotty got fired. Pretty crazy IMO, but not unbelievable.

8. Did you see Marty Schottenheimer’s quote on Vinny Cerrato? “I’ve said for a long time, in my opinion the problem down there — obviously it starts at the top with Dan (Snyder) —but (the problem) is Cerrato. I don’t particularly respect the guy. He and I had issues when I was there. Basically, what he said was, ‘Marty, Dan may be listening to you in the preseason, but wait until I get in the owner’s box during the regular season and we’ll see who Dan listens to.’ ” Wow, that’s powerful, and there’s a danger sitting with the owner during games — it breeds discontent in the organization. Earlier in my career, I did sit with the owner, but as I became fully aware, it doesn’t do the organization or individual relationships any good. There has to be a separation between owner, front office and coach — especially on game day. How can Mike Shanahan want to become involved in this environment? He and Cerrato might start off as friends, but it my humble opinion, it won’t last.

I am all for mike and kyle to come and get us going. I just can't see the idea of keeping zorn here. People are saying why bring in someone else when the offence is clicking but it took us bringing in someone else to relieve him of half his duties get them to click. Nobody knows if sherm lewis will even want to come back(he is getting old, and may want to spend time with family) next year and its because of him(NOT ZORN) that we are putting up points. We cannot keep zorn around another year.

Schaub was a career backup behind Mike Vick before the Texans got him and Kyle Shanahan became his QB coach. That has to say something.

Career backup? :doh:

TC is a career backup. Schaub had only been in the league 3 years before he got traded for 2 second rounders and swapped first round picks, not to mention 6 years 48 mil.

I’m right in thinking the Texans play a version of the West Coast Offense?

So if we went with Shanny Snr and Jnr, we’d have a head coach who has won two Superbowls and regularly got the Broncos into the play-offs? And likes the West Coast Offense?

And we’d have a young OC who has a top10 WC Offense and is regarded one of the brightest young talents in the game? Real potential there

So we’d get some continuity on offense? We wouldn’t be starting from scratch?

And we’d get a respected coach?

And we’d be losing a coach who was stripped of his responsibilities anyway, is a flawed play caller, can’t manage timeouts and it’s claimed runs a, shall we say, less than intense training camp?

I normally preach continuity but a win over a hapless Raiders doesn’t mean we’re suddenly going to be alright under Zorn.

A sign of how bad we were under his play-calling is a) the results and offensive yards and points scored (or lack of) and B) the fact Sherm Lewis came out of retirement and has turned this offense around in such a short amount of time. They might be Zorn’s plays, but Lewis knows how to call a game, (just look how productive we are in the red zone now). I’m sure the Shanahans know as well

If we’re preaching about keeping the WCO for another year because Year 3 is when a QB ‘gets it’, then keep Campbell and keep Lewis as an advisor to make the transition nice and smooth.

Lose Zorn, keep Campbell, trade Portis and use the draft to sort out the O-line and a running back to compete with Ganther and Mason.

Only reason to keep Zorn is if we can’t get anyone better and Lewis is up for being OC next season. Shanahan is surely an upgrade?

I will say that the Texans have a top 10 offense, so it wouldn't exactly be a disaster to bring that in to Washington. That said, lets really really really not mess with whats working. Lets get rid of those that arent(we arent winning with most of our starters), and lets make changes, but there are SOME aspects of this team that are working, and as long as they are, why mess with them for a big glitzy name?

Dan? Please?

Why is everyone so sure of shananhan coming to dc?? The mediots reported non stop that zorn would be fired during the bye. Did that happen?? I think shanny is going to dallas.

I think he is going there as well...because a lot of the media reports say Shanahan wants complete control...that goes against two things:

1) Vinny would have to be dismissed or be given a reduced role

2) Danny would have a reduced role.

None of those things are going to happen...my guess we end up with either Billick, Edwards or Green because they want back into coaching so badly they would be willing to work with Snyderatto.

I think he is going there as well...because a lot of the media reports say Shanahan wants complete control...that goes against two things:

1) Vinny would have to be dismissed or be given a reduced role

2) Danny would have a reduced role.

None of those things are going to happen...my guess we end up with either Billick, Edwards or Green because they want back into coaching so badly they would be willing to work with Snyderatto.

If we end up with one of the guys as HC, I think that blackouts could be on the horizon.

What I do like about this news (if Shanahan comes here) is that you have the potential to build something longer-term. My biggest reservation about the Shanahan/Cowher/Holmgren plan is that it's a 3-5 year thing more than likely.

If he brings the next generation of coaches with him (his son, Kubiak, etc.) then I can at least believe that we have a plan in place moving forward. Maybe Mike Shanahan would coach for a few years, turn things over to his son, and move to the front office in a Parcells-type role?

I think the dye is cast for Zorn based on what Sonny J said on the post game. Since Sonny has more insight(inside info) on the way the FO is thinking I think a coaching change has already been made and most of the league insiders already know this. Vinny will come back in a lesser/reduced role, Campbell is back per Vinny this morring. Sonny also said that he doesn't think Sherm Lewis is brought back but that could change by seasons end. All this points to a coach/GM combination hire. If Shanny is the hire here I wouldn't mind seeing how much better we could be rather than Zorn's mismanagement of the clock ,inept playcalling, and not playing the rooks at lot more than he should have. Obviously,there will be growing pains but Shan's WCO shouldn't be drastically different from what we run now and he won't have as many responsilities like Zorn did.

Did I miss something?

He's calling them correctly. Something Zorn couldn't do. Zorn has some pretty good plays in the playbook and Lewis is using them the way they should be used.

The credit belongs mostly to Lewis for the turn around, but you're correct... You can't completely deny Zorn any of the credit, either.

Back when we were getting consistently shut down on offense I remember reading different teams perspective of our offense and the general consesus was we ran the basic West Coast offense with little variation. My hope being that if we do bring Shanahan in his offense will be very similar to what our guys already know with two years under Zorn.

Dallas has been grooming Jason Garrett as the head coach and that's who's going to coach there. I think the only way Shanahan isn't the Redskins coach is if the Bears job becomes open. i'd like to see him keep Sherm Lewis but reports say Lewis is content with returning to the retired life after this season. Stay tuned, this will get interesting but certainly our late season run has to be attrractive to Shanahan of course along with Snyder's "benjamins"

I put it in another thread but will add it here.

Marty or Gruden are my first and second choice, but if we definitly have Shanahan locked up to arrive at seasons end this is what I would like to see...

Vinny Cerrato gone.

Shanahan as GM/HC.

Kubiak as Asst. HC.

Sherm Lewis Senior OC.

Kyle Shanahan OC.

Alex Gibbs OL.

Vinny needs to go. Unless someone else is available make Shanahan GM/HC. Kubiak was Shanahan's OC in Denver and who developed their down the field passing attack as well as their run plays. Obviously bring in son with dad. Keep Sherm Lewis to continue to add to this teams success...if he'll stay. Alex Gibbs was instrumental in Denvers blocking scheme they had. Gotta bring him in so we can change our blocking scheme so we can run all over people. :)

Garrett won't be the next Dallas coach. Keep in mind that Garrett is an ex-QB and QB coach. He is currently the OC for Dallas but as most can see, Romo sits to pee hasn't improved under his watch. Rumor is JJ hasn't been happy with Garrett since late last year. IMO, Dallas is Shanny's job if he wants it.

Archived