Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: skins will tryout four kickers Tuesday (MET)

cmoskins80

Gano could be a real find here.

Ravens cut him in favor of Houshka, which doesn't speak all that well for Gano but steve was the incumbent and you usually don't see UDFA pushing established guys out of a job.

Took a look at his UFL kicking and it looks like he's been on point. Hit a 53 yarder and the game winner in their "super" bowl. I'd sign him based on that after what I've seen from suisham the past three weeks. Hopefully Gano can be our Akers, stover, Graham etc. We need a REAL kicker.

Look - You have to cut Susiham. Even with only 4 meanless games left. If you don't, you are saying you have given up and these games don't matter.

You need to cut him to make a point. You need to send a message to all the players that we are STILL playing to win, and that you will be held accountable in these "Pointless games"

That's the way of the world for kickers. You have a short leash. He's very accurate from short distance. But as an NFL kicker, no one really cares that you make all the kicks from 33 yards in the middle of the third quarter. You earn and keep (or lose) your job in two situations.

45+. You have to make a decent amount of those. That way you avoid giving opponents a short field, and your offense can know they can drive to the 35 yard line and count on 3 as long as they hold onto the ball. Suisham has never been good at those, he just doesn't have good leg strength.

Clutch. You HAVE to make the clutch kicks. Fair or not, that's just the way it is, the same way closers HAVE to make saves. And Suisham missed the one in Seattle in the playoffs, the two against Dallas, and the one yesterday. If fans can start rattling off your big misses, you're in trouble.

I agree on the closer analogy. There's a reason why the only pro player jersey I have is Mariano Rivera's.

Gano sounds intriguing. I've never seen him play at the professional level. At FSU in 2008 he was 24/26, longest 53 yards for a 92.3% success rate. In the UFL he was 13/16 with a 53 yarder. Maybe Ray Rave didn't like him in Baltimore because he majored in criminology.

Lohmiller and Mosley actually had the legs for FG's in the 58-64 yard range. Hense the lower FG percentages. Would any coach put Suisham out there for a 55 yard FG and think he has a snowballs chance in hell of making it?

Suisham is 33% from 50+ and 73% from 40-49 and 80% from 30-39

Mosely was 28% from 50+ and 53% from 40-49 and 75% from 30-39

Chip was 39% from 50+ and 53% from 40-49 and 76% from 30-39

on and Suisham has missed 1 career inside 30 ; Mosely and Chip missed 6 a piece

They just need to put some fire under him - he's young - he's only in his 3rd full season (should kickers have "time" just like all other positions?)

Suisham is 33% from 50+ and 73% from 40-49 and 80% from 30-39

Mosely was 28% from 50+ and 53% from 40-49 and 75% from 30-39

Chip was 39% from 50+ and 53% from 40-49 and 76% from 30-39

Yep...by today's standards Mosley was not a very accurate kicker. He got hot and carried us throughout the 1982 season which is reason enough to label him a Redskin great. But his career numbers are not very impressive.

Archived