Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

An honest request: Please stop the name calling on Campbell

mistertim

I'm cool with Jason Checkdown...

I'm sure Jason Campbell himself would probably have a slight chuckle if he heard that name...

However I don't think he would be too thrilled being likened to a retard and called Simple Jason... thats where the difference lies..

Yeah I agree.

The "Simple Jason" stuff is pretty stupid and frankly inaccurate.

If Jason were as "simple" as some of these people like to portray him, he'd be playing like JaMarcus Russell or Heath Shuler.

People certainly can debate if Jason will ever become more than he's shown, but what he has shown is that he is a decent starting quarterback. That may not be enough but he's far from "stupid" or "simple". That stuff is just venom and not based on anything more than a personal agenda to bash JC.

So call him Jason Checkdown or something of that nature. Completely fine. Say something that reflects his play. The fact that calling someone retarded, whether Campbell really sees it or cares about you or not, is fun to you is kind of stupid.

so you've never said " oh yuo retard!" or " u freaking moron" when a redskins made a boneheaded play?

well what do you know. we redskins fans are so polite and prude. damn, whatever happened to the good ole day redskins fans and players that had some attitude and talked trash to opposing teams... now we have to be polite because jason candle is a nice guy.

The 'Good ole days' are still here. In fact, I think a good ribbing has been had by every opponents supporter that has been to the tailgate, but it doesn't become abusive to them for being a supporter. It's called being classy. Same on here. This is our guy we're talking about. No one is saying the razzing of opponents and their players on the boards is getting old. But seriously, how long can your kid sing "This is the song that doesn't end..." Before it gets old? Same story.

There are plenty of intelligent conversations happening on this board, and many more that aren't. Everyone pretty well knows who supports Campbell and who doesn't. Why not take the "Well thought out" insult and actually use some of that brain power to present a reason not to like him, instead of beating the dead horse.

I can only hope this isn't a veiled racial attack. I don't remember anything close to the scrutiny Jason has been subject to. Let the man play!

Ehhhh....slippery slope here.

If we expect people to stop calling Campbell retarded or whatever, we should afford them some respect and not accuse them of racism just because Campbell happens to be black.

So now being civil towards others is "being a prude?" I guess that makes me a prude then. Either that, or it makes you an *******.

to you and the OP. so then why are you singling out jason candle? why arent you or others creating a thread that says "stop calling cerrato and snyder names" ive seen many posts and threads where posters are calling them names and even worse stuff than jason candle.

what's fair is fair no? by singling out candle, you come off so bias that it isnt even funny anymore.

so you've never said " oh yuo retard!" or " u freaking moron" when a redskins made a boneheaded play?

Actually, I haven't. I have a family member with a developmental disorder so I know not to.

I'll use profanity, to be sure, but it's usually not directly at one player. The most I'll go is ***ing Santana, you have to catch that! Or ****, that was a wasted opportunity!

If we expect people to stop calling Campbell retarded or whatever, we should afford them some respect and not accuse them of racism just because Campbell happens to be black.

To me this doesn't have to do with racism. If it does for certain people, that is their problem. To me it is just disrespectful and demeaning to a Skins player who has played through thick and thin for this team. There simply is no reason to make such ad hominem attacks unless you have nothing else to offer.

to you and the OP. so then why are you singling out jason candle? why arent you or others creating a thread that says "stop calling cerrato and snyder names" ive seen many posts and threads where posters are calling them names and even worse stuff than jason candle.

what's fair is fair no? by singling out candle, you come off so bias that it isnt even funny anymore.

The boyz never fail.

I will call him what he is - a guy that has taken the high road in this mess of a season.

He will never be great, has a penchant for throwing pickles on potential game winning drives but with a running game, a line and some play action calls once in a while and you have a decent to good QB.

why arent you or others creating a thread that says "stop calling cerrato and snyder names" ive seen many posts and threads where posters are calling them names and even worse stuff than jason candle.

Just to support the argument going on here.. I would lean towards the guys that spit out the nonsensical blurbs of name calling among the same crowd that is calling Cerrato and Snyder names. I disagree with the FO right now and a lot of the decisions made, but I have not stooped as far as to call them derogatory names.

I felt it had to be said. No one likes to bring the race card into it, but I'm not even African American, and even Jason himself has said that it contributes to the fans / media's perception.

Calling him "Simple" implies that you equate a soft-spoken black guy from the South as retarded. I don't see Eli or Peyton getting this treatment. Favre? Delhomme? It just reeks of deep seeded prejudice to me. I may be way off here, but I guess that's the business of the guy who started "Simple Jason." It's easy to hide behind a digital identity and conceal your reactionary views on issues like this. It's easy to deny the motivations behind your actions when there's no face to face contact involved. Like I said before, I hope it's not racial, but I think it's a distinct possibility.

Just to support the argument going on here.. I would lean towards the guys that spit out the nonsensical blurbs of name calling among the same crowd that is calling Cerrato and Snyder names. I disagree with the FO right now and a lot of the decisions made, but I have not stooped as far as to call them derogatory names.

i never understood defending somebody that you have never met. i mean, name calling in sports especially football has always been part of the game whether he is a player that is on a team u are rooting for or not. the fact is, if candle was actually good at what he does, do you think these name calling would even exist? of course not. like ive said, no one is alike. no one is same.

i mean, even the redskin's coaching staff with gibbs and saunders indirectly said " candle was slow" by saying he is taking a long time to understand the playbook... i mean, was that not offensive to jason? If i was jason, i would not have taken it lightly.

the fact is, is a player is called a certain things, he most likely has done something to be called that. some take the road of not being vocal and ati name calling like the orignal poster and than you have others that are vocal.

but one thing i do not like is when someone tells other grown men not to say this or do that.

I've been a hater' date=' but I've been impressed the last few weeks. I'd have no problem if we sign him to a two year incentive laden contract and draft heavy on the line in 2010 and look at other options at QB like drafting one in 2011 and bring in a vet in the offseason to challenge him. First, I want Vinny gone.[/quote']

I agree. JC is adequate.

As for Vinny, you have to admit, the d-line is fixed. Granted, it needed fixing two years ago and was only addressed last year, but we have some young guys that will be around for awhile.

And, with the emergence of the 3 2nd rounders, who as short a period as three weeks ago I thought were ALL busts, it's gonna be difficult to say he hasn't improved our talent.

Now, it's running back and o-line that need attention...

I think the next few weeks determine a lot of folks' fates...but I doubt Vinny leaves

If you are happy with the team being mediocre for the next 5-10 years and never having a home playoff game or at best 8-8 records, then Jason's your man. I am old school and loved the 80's and early 90's when guys had no where near the physical talent that Jason has would play beyond potential and give us something to cheer about. Yippee Jason is the best QB I ever saw for the first 3 quarters of a game. I care about wins and losses. Its not how you start, its how you finish. And he is the consumate choker.

I felt it had to be said. No one likes to bring the race card into it, but I'm not even African American, and even Jason himself has said that it contributes to the fans / media's perception.

Calling him "Simple" implies that you equate a soft-spoken black guy from the South as retarded. I don't see Eli or Peyton getting this treatment. Favre? Delhomme? It just reeks of deep seeded prejudice to me. I may be way off here, but I guess that's the business of the guy who started "Simple Jason." It's easy to hide behind a digital identity and conceal your reactionary views on issues like this. It's easy to deny the motivations behind your actions when there's no face to face contact involved. Like I said before, I hope it's not racial, but I think it's a distinct possibility.

"Simple Jason" is based on "Simple Jack" which is a fictional character played by a white guy named Ben Stiller. And are you seriously claiming no one has ever questioned the intelligence of other quarterbacks of a different skin color? How about Patrick Ramsey and Jeff George for starters. How about Rex Grossman who is frequently referred to as "retarded". Any quarterback who has all the physical tools but inexplicably fails is going to have his intelligence questioned. Yes, there are some bad apples who might be doing out of racial spite, but that is the exception not the rule.

If you are happy with the team being mediocre for the next 5-10 years and never having a home playoff game or at best 8-8 records, then Jason's your man. I am old school and loved the 80's and early 90's when guys had no where near the physical talent that Jason has would play beyond potential and give us something to cheer about. Yippee Jason is the best QB I ever saw for the first 3 quarters of a game. I care about wins and losses. Its not how you start, its how you finish. And he is the consumate choker.

What you just said gets an F on the "related to the point of the thread" scale. Congratulations.

P.S., I thought your post was a little pointless given the subject matter, but I don't think you're "simple." See folks, it can be done.

"Simple Jason" is based on "Simple Jack" which is a fictional character played by a white guy named Ben Stiller. And are you seriously claiming no one has ever questioned the intelligence of other quarterbacks of a different skin color? How about Patrick Ramsey and Jeff George for starters. Any quarterback who has all the physical tools but inexplicably fails is going to have his intelligence questioned. Yes, there are some bad apples who might be doing out of racial spite, but that is the exception not the rule.

Yeah, seen the movie, and that part was offensive to a lot of people as well. I didn't find it funny then, and find it infuriating when applied to our QB. I mean, you can insult anyone's intelligence, but what are the reasons behind it? I don't think I can argue the validity of my claim. It's more of a suspicion that had haunted me throughout this past year + of Campbell bashing. I still can't shake the notion that there's at least some sort of double standard at play here. Maybe it's so subversive that I sound crazy, but it's there and I think Jason might agree.

To be honest that is a debate for another thread. This one is about using demeaning personal attacks and basically calling a Skins player retarded. The ups and downs of Campbell's performances can and have and will be talked about in many other threads.

Archived